Android Phone for Libre Link App

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have been using Freestyle Libre for a while now mainly using the Libre Reader but on occasions using the Libre Link App as well. This was working pretty well on my Google Nexus 5. I recently bought the Nexus 5X assuming that it would also be able to scan the Libre. To my horror, it's not supported...arghhh!!

Anyway, I have convinced my wife to leave iPhone and get an Android purely for the reason that it will be able to read the Libre. So this time round, I absolutely need to get it right. Was wondering which Android phones people are using reliably with the Libre?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @T1Dad I don't know if this will be of any help to you:

https://www.librelink.com/support/checking-glucose/scan/android-nfc

It's obviously not an exhaustive list - at the moment I am using a Sony Xperia Z3 (which is hateful, by the way).

I'm sure you have, but have you checked that it has NFC enabled on it? For some super intelligent reason, it seems to be the case that some manufacturers turn it off by default.

Also had a quick google and found this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.ct.glicemia&hl=en_GB and a few others like it, so if you are absolutely desperate...

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@T1Dad it shows the same for my Nexus 6P in the Play Store. You could try contacting the developer on their listed email [email protected]-serv.com

They may update the supported handset list or they may not, worth an ask.

Edit: I was able to obtain the app elsewhere and after a little modification it does run on my Nexus 6P without crashing. I'll try it on a Nexus 5X later this week but I don't have a Libre to test it fully. I see no reason why it shouldn't work if the developer lifted their artifical restrictions on the Play Store.

Last edited:

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @EllsKBells. That list contains the Samsung S range which I am currently looking at so that's good.

@db89, what did you do to get it to work? If you don't mind sharing.

hansolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I left apple for Samsung Galaxy S7 and it works a treat though, compared to the small libre reader it is relatively large so not quite as discreet and don't forget, when these large power hungry mobiles run out of power, you are without a monitor!

christian.ry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I posted also in another thread: Is anyone aware of a list of compatible (or incompatible) phones?
It seems that if you install the App from the Play store, it will check the model, but that you can only do once you bought the phone.

thanks - Christian

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
the pixel (the truest android experience) isnt supported but the galaxy S4 is - the current model S8 isnt.

christian.ry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I am actually using an S4 now, and it works great indeed. But the thing is just too slow/outdated for me in general.

I would be fine with an S7 (edge is too big for my pocket), but I am not sure it works or is even supported. What made me really curious is that it might work - see the banner on this page?

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i have access to a S7 edge so can try tonight to see if it will download the app. i have downloaded the libre link up app this morning which i can apparently use to transmit data to several people in the hope that i can use the S4 just as a reader and my pixel to look at the data. however I haven't received my first sensor yet! Experimenting on how my skin reacts to rock tape and compeeds at the moment.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've read here at dcuk that s7 edge works, but only some versions of s7 do.

I unfortunately just bought a new phone.. went for a cheap one thinking I don't need anything fancy... it doesn't have NFC so will never work.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just given a S7 this week. After loading Glimp, it gives a warning NOT to use it on the Libre sensor as it is known to damage the sensor...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was just given a S7 this week. After loading Glimp, it gives a warning NOT to use it on the Libre sensor as it is known to damage the sensor...
The key point with that is "With Glimp". If Abbott are saying it works with their app safely, then they are liable for any sensor damage as a result.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Have been using Freestyle Libre for a while now mainly using the Libre Reader but on occasions using the Libre Link App as well. This was working pretty well on my Google Nexus 5. I recently bought the Nexus 5X assuming that it would also be able to scan the Libre. To my horror, it's not supported...arghhh!!

Anyway, I have convinced my wife to leave iPhone and get an Android purely for the reason that it will be able to read the Libre. So this time round, I absolutely need to get it right. Was wondering which Android phones people are using reliably with the Libre?
Congratulations on changing from iPhone (most IT guys like open platforms). The situation with the App is not acceptable. The latest Google Pixel works as I was using this up to around a month ago (however this phone does not come with wireless charging). I then switched to the excellent Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus which does not work.
The App is developed independent of Abbott, but I feel they don't engage with the developer to get full compatibility across Android.
I sent an enquiry to Abbott to ask why the flagship Samsung S8 was not working with the Sensors, the response below offers nothing:

upload_2017-6-7_8-2-49.png

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought someone had said the pixel worked. It refuses to download the app as my device is not supported. I am running android O so will see if my son can download on his pixel. If he can I will report to Abbott that they may have issues with O. I have emailed them from the support page but no response yet...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Congratulations on changing from iPhone (most IT guys like open platforms). The situation with the App is not acceptable. The latest Google Pixel works as I was using this up to around a month ago (however this phone does not come with wireless charging). I then switched to the excellent Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus which does not work.
The App is developed independent of Abbott, but I feel they don't engage with the developer to get full compatibility across Android.
I sent an enquiry to Abbott to ask why the flagship Samsung S8 was not working with the Sensors, the response below offers nothing:

View attachment 23083
This is, and always has been the issue with Android. Each individual manufacturer introduces something slightly different and in the process, it becomes incompatible with the majority of implementations. The multiple forks is a nightmare to maintain as a development team, so in this case, I feel for Abbott!

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had confirmation the pixel is no longer supported as it's NFC is too strong. I would suggest this is going to be an issue with all high end phones in the future which is probably why S7 is no longer compatabile. And the S8 doesn't work. I doubt the new iPhones will either.

Reactions: kokhongw

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an LG g4 which works very well, I love the phone btw. I've read on another forum that the s7 is suspect but the s7 edge works fine. Apparently Apple have just announced that they will allow other apps access to iPhone NFC but who knows whether that will work with sensors even if the app developers port it to iOS

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that the stronger NFC chips in the newer phones break the sensors and after they get enough reports they remove support. Long-term I think a reader will probably be the way forward. I have a S4 I intend to use to test it. No SIM card so not as convenient as using my pixel.but cheaper than a reader.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I guess it's to be expected, the medical world is (mostly) known for being a bit behind/daft when it comes to design for real humans. I presume the developer is somehow from that world.
I'd love to get a shot at altering the Libre reader.. Anyone been game to pop the lid/know what it's running on? Any other coders here?

My three biggest gripes at the moment:
1) entering carb grams with a +/-1 at a time input. Yes you can hold down, but that means your finger blocks the screen and it's still slow.
2) the only graph you can bring up without a scan is the whole day.
3) the graphs aren't adjustable. I want to set my own scale, look at particular time periods, etc... on the reader.

Reactions: Mark_1