Anniversary results

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So double checking with dr tomorrow but it looks like hba1c stayed the same at 54.

To say I’m completely peed off is an understatement. Feel like a complete failure.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well it hasn't got worse so that's one positive.
I get lost with your story are you still taking meds?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was aiming for non diabetic.

Cut out carbs, stop eating buns and chips.. just have burgers.
Learn to read the labels on the back of food packaging and avoid stuff that's more than 5 g of carbs per 100g.
Follow that for 6 months and then see what happens?

Reactions: woollygal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cut out carbs, stop eating buns and chips.. just have burgers.
Learn to read the labels on the back of food packaging and avoid stuff that's more than 5 g of carbs per 100g.
Follow that for 6 months and then see what happens?

The majority of the time I am. It’s when I’m
Put that it’s trickier. I do read labels and go fir under 5g.

Just need to learn the going out.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good that you havn't gone up.

There is always the next test to work towards.

Don't feel too down.

Good luck.

Reactions: woollygal

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The majority of the time I am. It’s when I’m
Put that it’s trickier. I do read labels and go fir under 5g.

Just need to learn the going out.
Not getting worse is a good thing.

Do you know how many carbs you eat on a good day?
How many on a bad day?
How many most days (ie a typical not especially good or bad unless they are mostly one or other)?
How often do you eat out causing issues?

Also what sort of numbers do you see 2hrs post meal? Are they 8 and 9? Or 5 and 6’s
Do you snack a lot still? Or stick to just meals?
Do you fast at all?

The answers to these might explain why it isn’t lower. If the answers are all good (or as good as the changes you’re willing/able to make) then maybe this is what the reality for you and without those efforts then it would have been a whole lot worse.

D

Deleted member 308541

If you had stopped eating the the high carb treats etc. you could have got the hba1c result down into the high 30 mmol/mol region.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If you had stopped eating the the high carb treats etc. you could have got the hba1c result down into the high 30 mmol/mol region.

I’m doing my best even if that isn’t as good as it should be.

The one thing I really don’t need is judgements.

I’m clearly a bad diabetic and won’t ever be as perfect as some in here!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not always, I'm keto with now less than 15g carbs a day no more than 7g a meal no snacks and I'm still at 44, not everyone is lucky enough to get numbers in the 30s no matter how hard we work for it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not always, I'm keto with now less than 15g carbs a day no more than 7g a meal no snacks and I'm still at 44, not everyone is lucky enough to get numbers in the 30s no matter how hard we work for it.
Any fasting?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Cana, try not to be disheartened, you are a trier that's for sure! I really don't think people mean to be judgmental it's just that you have tried so hard and put so much effort into it that they know how disappointed you must be. They also know (mostly) that they were probably the same as you at the start, cutting right back on carbs but with a few challenges and a few 'extras' creeping in (work & driving not helping!) and hoping it would be enough. If I were you, I would see this as a great start in that it hasn't gone up and focus on giving up those things you KNOW aren't helping. This really is'nt judgemental but just a possible answer to your hba1c which you are clearly not happy with. If you were happy with it most of us wouldn't dream of commenting. x

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Cana you’re not a bad diabetic at all. You have managed to maintain your hba1c so you are doing something right. It is difficult juggling work etc particularly when, like you, a lot of your working day is spent on the road. I’m wondering if it’s worth ‘tweaking’ what you eat and reduce the carbs a little more. I too enjoy my snacks and tend to have nuts and low carb bars - Aldi do a nice gluten free one in their ‘specially selected’ range which is dark chocolate, nut and sea salt and is 5.9g per bar. I know that some people will class this as high carb but I’ve tested them on a couple of occasions and my bs is fine afterwards. However you may be one of the people for whom low carb doesn’t work on its own and you may need medication to compliment it. You’ll get there in the end it’s just finding out what works for you.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Honestly, you are not ' a bad diabetic' at all and believe me, no one is perfect, so focus on the good things that have happened and stop beating yourself up, you are worth much more.
Hope you have a good weekend :)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah it's difficult for sure and sorry you're feeling under siege!

Everyone is different or in a different place, some people need reassurance, some people need guidance, some people need facts, etc etc. Some people (I'm looking at my brother here) need a kick up the encouragement zone :D and cheerfully instruct me to do same....and then argue vigorously with me as to why I'm wrong and shouldn't be meddling.....and then thank me for the assist:banghead:

Fortunately this group appears to offer all the flavours of help that are available, just pick the ones that work for you.

For my twopenny-worth, don't be horrid to yourself (it never helps and just leads to "treat" therapy), accept you're not quite where you want to be and it's worth keeping the goal even though you haven't "succeeded" yet, and acknowledge that a stable HbA1c on lower meds is definitely a WIN.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any fasting?
Hi @bulkbiker - no I don't fast, I had food disorders when I was younger and when I tried fasting it was triggering my disorder and bringing back the feelings I used to have years ago so I decided not to do fasting mental health wise.

I eat at 5 am - a couple of eggs or bacon, 12pm leftovers from day before tea, 5pm meal from keto recipes on DD. Then nothing until next morning - I only get 4 -5 hrs sleep each night because of caring for my son with ASD. Sometimes no sleep at all if he's that way out and I do think that this has probably a lot to do with it, I know sleep is important for insulin resistance but it's a luxury I just don't have :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bulkbiker - no I don't fast, I had food disorders when I was younger and when I tried fasting it was triggering my disorder and bringing back the feelings I used to have years ago so I decided not to do fasting mental health wise.

I eat at 5 am - a couple of eggs or bacon, 12pm leftovers from day before tea, 5pm meal from keto recipes on DD. Then nothing until next morning - I only get 4 -5 hrs sleep each night because of caring for my son with ASD. Sometimes no sleep at all if he's that way out and I do think that this has probably a lot to do with it, I know sleep is important for insulin resistance but it's a luxury I just don't have :)
@lovinglife hugs for your caring. As a carer myself I know how much stress can put up your bgs even when no food involved at all. Sounds like you have continual levels of some stress. For you you are clearly doing great on the way of eating and looking after yourself is the most important thing de stressing in whatever way you can - take care of you caring really is not easy and def not good for our physical and mental health.