Annual Diabetic Review

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to share with people who properly understand my annual diabetic review today!

So headline figure is that all is good, hbA1c is down even further to 5.2 (33) from 5.4 last year. All the other tests were good, cholesterol etc...

I had though thought that in this new practice (just moved) I had found an enlightened nurse who properly 'got' low carb as I said that I had dealt with it by doing low carb. It then transpires her idea of low carb means a fistful size of low gi carbs with EVERY meal!!

Next week I have a fasting blood test booked so she can properly see my levels to see if I have cured it.

Reactions: 7 people

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and she nearly fell off her chair when I said that I was a bit more radical than low gi and I went for 20g a day of carbs. She tried to spout the it's not healthy etc line. Mi smiled sweetly and nodded whilst she looked more and more perplexed by my results considering how high they were 18 months ago!

Reactions: 8 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. They don't listen and learn do they? It's not the NHS way - rules, procedures, control.....

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fantastic numbers keep up the good work .NHS have manuals for everything that dont concur with te real world

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great results @trinity0097, well done!:) Having read about the reactions of GPs and DNs, I don't think I will tell them what I'm doing to reduce my bs levels when I have my 12 month HbA1c next month. They didn't ask when I had my 3 month retest.

lindisfel

Expert
Excellent results Trinity.
One does wonder how long it will take for them to get the low carb message.
Mind you they must have been blood letting for a few hundred years! :) Derek

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Just wanted to share with people who properly understand my annual diabetic review today!

So headline figure is that all is good, hbA1c is down even further to 5.2 (33) from 5.4 last year. All the other tests were good, cholesterol etc...

I had though thought that in this new practice (just moved) I had found an enlightened nurse who properly 'got' low carb as I said that I had dealt with it by doing low carb. It then transpires her idea of low carb means a fistful size of low gi carbs with EVERY meal!!

Next week I have a fasting blood test booked so she can properly see my levels to see if I have cured it.
That is superb work. Keep showing the world what the new world face of diabetes looks like.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff. Well done.

We should be charging the NHS for the free "education"

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done all, my check up was Not good HbA1c was 71 has come down from 78 but not fast enough !
Seeing my Diabetic nurse soon think to change my meter from Accu-check Mobile as don't seem to be Calclating Carbs Ratio
Correctly!!
Use the Carbs & Cals app, so fed up with it all
Type 1 since 2013

Dicky1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, due for my annual check up this week. As I now have gastroparesis it will be interesting to see the result
As it's hard to get a true reading 'cos I don't know how long it takes for the food to digest.
Keep smiling and remember every day above ground is I good day.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Oh and she nearly fell off her chair when I said that I was a bit more radical than low gi and I went for 20g a day of carbs. She tried to spout the it's not healthy etc line. Mi smiled sweetly and nodded whilst she looked more and more perplexed by my results considering how high they were 18 months ago!
Even though LCHF diet is now the way to go & it has been proven too--she obviously doesn't keep up with current research (neither does my DSN--seems to read magazine articles instead). See thread on this newsletter re Prof Tim Noakes video--about an hour long but well worth a watch because it explains so clearly why low fat high carb diet is not good & why LCHF is far more beneficial. Unfortunately you can't send the link but if you could take on smartphone/ Ipad and show to prove your point. I wouldn't worry to much--it is your body and you must do what you know is best for you.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
My medical advisers (?) have just announced that I am "cured" They took no notice of my LCD results, all carefully noted and recorded and put the "Cure" down to Metformin. So I am told I dont need medication any more and they will check my BG in 12 months.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In my experience 20g cho is 20g cho whether it is low GI or not--they do not seem to understand ......

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My medical advisers (?) have just announced that I am "cured" They took no notice of my LCD results, all carefully noted and recorded and put the "Cure" down to Metformin. So I am told I dont need medication any more and they will check my BG in 12 months.
Well done on the "cure" you worked out for yourself--you have done really well!! Just laugh at what they put on your records (and if they leave you alone in the room make sure you have a pen with you...............)!!!