Another 4%er - but only just

Defren

Played guess the numbers with the GP this morning, starting at 5.5 until eventually he told me I scraped the 4% club with a 4.9. I was so certain I had missed it, but I got in - just.

My other figures:

Plasma total cholesterol 3.4mmol/L
LDL 1 mmol/L
HDL 1.2 mmol/L
Trigs 2.6 mmol/L

Blood pressure 140/70mmHg

As expected I have been stripped of my strips apart from 50 a month (boo hiss). I have also had my Simvastatin 20mg changed to Atorvastatin 10mg as a compromise as I wanted off them. My Lansoprazole has been reduced to a maintenance dose of 15mg once a day from 30mg. I am still on Metformin 500mg twice a day.

I am now considered normal, my diabetes is in remission and as I lose weight, once I hit my goal BMI of 20 I will be seen by the practice as a non diabetic. While I don't agree with that as I think I will always be diabetic, today's results are brilliant. My weight loss is "staggering" and I have worked hard to get these results (it was nice to get a bit of praise).

I have to have a urine test for excess protein due to my diet, even though I eat more fat than protein, it's a "just to make sure" approach that I am happy to go along with. No problems with me removing grain, wheat and milk from my diet, as my figures speak for themselves.

All in all a very happy bunny. Next scheduled appointment HbA1c in three months - yipee!!

Grazer

Fantastic results Jo!! :thumbup: :D :thumbup:
All that hard work worth it. All other indicators good too (total cholesterol 3.5) The 50 strips a month are probably enough now you know the score on food types. I use less than that now.
Well done you!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
:clap:WAHEY!!! The exclusive 4% clubs newest member!!! Well done Jo!!!!! :clap: That's absolutely great news and something to be proud of and all that hard work is paying dividends!! I'm REALLY chuffed for you!! :thumbup: :D

Defren

Thanks Paul and Sheepy, must admit I am feeling rather pleased with myself. I truly didn't expect a 4 I was seriously thinking 5.5 and I would have been happy with that this time, so 4.9 is just brilliant. Just goes to show low carbs high fat work!!

Jo xx

WhitbyJet

Congratulations!!
An inspiration to us all. I kept fingers and toes crossed for you. With your steely determination you have deserved nothing less.
So happy for you x x

Defren

WhitbyJet said:
Congratulations!!
An inspiration to us all. I kept fingers and toes crossed for you. With your steely determination you have deserved nothing less.
So happy for you x x

Awe thank you so much Judith. It's your recipe's that have helped as well you know. I am feeding my cleaning lady low carb coconut cake smothered in double cream as we speak. She likes coming here :lol:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I don't want to say "Told you so", but, I did tell you so.

Well done Def, that's no mean feat in the short time since you've been diagnosed. Sounds to me that diabetes might have been one of the best things that ever happened to you.

Another nail in the coffin of the lipid hypothesis. LCHF rocks.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Brilliant! results
However I wonder if the practice is wise to regard well controlled diabetics as Non-diabetic? Strict diet and exercise will keep T2D down, but any carb challenge and it's back.
Hana

Grazer

BY THE WAY - I seem to remember putting a quid on the Defren HbA1c sweepstake. I put £1 on 4.9 when you were saying 5.5!! PAY UP!

Defren

borofergie said:
I don't want to say "Told you so", but, I did tell you so.

Well done Def, that's no mean feat in the short time since you've been diagnosed. Sounds to me that diabetes might have been one of the best things that ever happened to you.

Another nail in the coffin of the lipid hypothesis. LCHF rocks.

Thanks Stephen. I owe you, Sheepy and Steve SOOO much. No one on this forum knows the support you guys have given me behind the scenes. I am more thrilled we have proved that LCHF IS the right way. Every one of us who follows that diet to the letter is in the 4% club. Speaks volumes.

I agree Hana, not sure I am happy being seen as non diabetic once my BMI is 20 (he asked me what my weight goal aim was, then said I would be classed as non diabetic once I reached it). I was lead to believe once a diabetic, always a diabetic.

Ha ha Sheepy, you need to see Paul, he was dealing the odds and claiming the cash. :lol:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Here's a lady striving to achieve the 4's and there's me who feels decidedly ill when my blood is as low as that. I have never had a hypo but I imagine that the feelings I do have when under 5 are a good indicator experienced by those well controlled folk who have gone too low (perhaps in the 2's and 3's) and are about to succumb. Any answers please as to why I am different?

tree-peony

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:D

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
If I had a hat I'd take it off to you - fantastic stuff !!!

Keep up the great work; the 'you're now not a diabetic stuff' is just their mental disconnect when they meet someone who actually manages to control the condition, because you certainly can't get those results following the NHS advice.

Best

Dillinger

Grazer

Defren said:
I agree Hana, not sure I am happy being seen as non diabetic once my BMI is 20 (he asked me what my weight goal aim was, then said I would be classed as non diabetic once I reached it). I was lead to believe once a diabetic, always a diabetic.

I agree. Think this "re-classifying" is totally misleading. Bit like the old "reversing diabetes" bit. Eat a mars bar a day for a while and you'll soon see you're still diabetic! (But what a way to go)
HOWEVER, having said that, if the doctor is prepared to put pen to paper, it could be handy. I pay extra for travel insurance, life insurance is more expensive, etc. If you can get normal premiums again it could be worth while?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ignore them, they're just jealous that you cured the old diabeteez.

Diabetics suck.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought. If people "get better" and "stop being Diabetic" when they get such excellent results, doesnt that men that the HCP's can still avoid taking on bard how they achieved their results, because they are not Diabetics?

if you see what I mean........

Sort of saying "We dont need to count your methods as working because we no longer count you as Diabetic, so your diet/exercise will be viewed as non-Diabetic instead" thus avoiding having to change their stance.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lucylocket61 said:
Sort of saying "We dont need to count your methods as working because we no longer count you as Diabetic, so your diet/exercise will be viewed as non-Diabetic instead" thus avoiding having to change their stance.

I think that we should chase Def off the forum now that she's cured. Bloody ex-diabetics coming here and taunting us with their sugar-free/fat-free blood. Boo. Hiss.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations Jo. You worked so hard for this and I am over the moon for you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yet another example that LCHF works. :thumbup: