Another Bread Thread

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I know this gets discussed quite a lot but I’ve got a question I can’t find the answer by googling. I have cut a lot of carbs but still having very small amounts of bread as I love it so hoping I can continue.
I’ve been buying the soya and linseed Vogel or Burgen bread as I understood this to be lower GI. I’ve had the Livlife bread once which I enjoyed that but only Waitrose stock it near me and it’s not often there.
I couldn’t see my usual Vogel or Burgen in the shop so checked the Vogel Seeded Wholemeal and was surprised to find same size slice same calorie count had less carbs and more fibre.
Vogel Soya and Linseed has 14g carb and 2.8g fibre per slice so net carb 11.2g
Vogel Seeded Wholemeal has 12g carb and 4.6g fibre per slice so net carb 7.4g
The seeded Wholemeal has very marginally higher fat and protein than the soya and linseed but less than 0.5g difference so probably negligible.
Am I missing something here? as the seeded Wholemeal would appear a little better on the carb front than the one I have been having and my digestive system could use the extra fibre, it’s the only problem Ive had with going lower carb!

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I know this gets discussed quite a lot but I’ve got a question I can’t find the answer by googling. I have cut a lot of carbs but still having very small amounts of bread as I love it so hoping I can continue.
I’ve been buying the soya and linseed Vogel or Burgen bread as I understood this to be lower GI. I’ve had the Livlife bread once which I enjoyed that but only Waitrose stock it near me and it’s not often there.
I couldn’t see my usual Vogel or Burgen in the shop so checked the Vogel Seeded Wholemeal and was surprised to find same size slice same calorie count had less carbs and more fibre.
Vogel Soya and Linseed has 14g carb and 2.8g fibre per slice so net carb 11.2g
Vogel Seeded Wholemeal has 12g carb and 4.6g fibre per slice so net carb 7.4g
The seeded Wholemeal has very marginally higher fat and protein than the soya and linseed but less than 0.5g difference so probably negligible.
Am I missing something here? as the seeded Wholemeal would appear a little better on the carb front than the one I have been having and my digestive system could use the extra fibre, it’s the only problem Ive had with going lower carb!
In the uk the carbs listed have already had the fibre deducted (separate line listing in nutrition) and are already net. So no need to deduct it again. (In the USA they list total carbs and they need to do the deduction. Many sites are us based and can confuse uk based people as a result)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bread - the protein bread from Asda, as it is 4 gm of carbs per slice. Otherwise, I do without, as a single slice of ordinary bread is just so high in carbs.

Reactions: Greyhoundwalker
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the uk the carbs listed have already had the fibre deducted (separate line listing in nutrition) and are already net. So no need to deduct it again. (In the USA they list total carbs and they need to do the deduction. Many sites are us based and can confuse uk based people as a result)
Ah, okay, not so much difference then, thanks.

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Boiled egg , bacon and one slice of GI bread + coffee
Dinner liver, onions , broccoli small portion of potato .
Tea . Three slices of GI bread with tuna + cup of coffee .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Boiled egg , bacon and one slice of GI bread + coffee
Dinner liver, onions , broccoli small portion of potato .
Tea . Three slices of GI bread with tuna + cup of coffee .
What are your levels like after eating all that carb?
I'd be flat out!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Greyhoundwalker

I realise you have posted this thread in Pre-diabetes section of the forum, but there is nothing in your profile to say what type of diabetes you have, or what meds you take. Depending on those factors, and your chosen carb intake, the difference in carbs between different brands can be insignificant, or make a major impact.

To complete your profile you need to be logged into the main dcuk forum (not the App), and click on your profile name on the top right of the screen. Select Personal Details, complete the fields, and save.
Then everyone will understand where you are coming from, when you ask a question.

From my own perspective, I have tried several of the various low carb breads, but ended up not bothering. They were always disappointing to me. Although sourdough seemed to suit my blood glucose levels better than the others.

Reactions: 1spuds and jpscloud
M

Member496333

From my own perspective, I have tried several of the various low carb breads, but ended up not bothering. They were always disappointing to me.

Same. I got tired of doing deals with bread and the bread always winning. Hovis Nimble was about the best I found, but the slices were small and it still turned my blood to caramel. Eventually I quit it all entirely and haven’t looked back since. Bread’s dead, baby.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
As much as I resist it (and I can do that) a hard crusty freshly baked American sourdough is a must. Even if I throw out 85% of the loaf if I detect even the slightest loss in crunch, I don't care. My one and only weakness.

Reactions: Daphne917

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What are your levels like after eating all that carb?
I'd be flat out!!
Hi Resurgam
Not really sure what you mean regarding carbs . I have either fish , chicken or steak with veg and small portion of potato every day. My D nurse adviced me this was fine . I also was told the GI bread (from Lidl) was fine to eat .
Any advice from anyone to help my numbers would be gratefully appreciated as I would love you have better control .
I am 5ft 11 and am down to 14 stone .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Resurgam
Not really sure what you mean regarding carbs . I have either fish , chicken or steak with veg and small portion of potato every day. My D nurse adviced me this was fine . I also was told the GI bread (from Lidl) was fine to eat .
Any advice from anyone to help my numbers would be gratefully appreciated as I would love you have better control .
I would expect resurgam refers to the bread and potatoes you list. Both will cause serious spikes for many type 2. From your answer I’m assuming you aren’t testing your bloods before and after meals? Are you happy with your hb1ac? If not you would do well testing for a bit to see what effect your actual meals have on you. Failing that do some reading about low carb (not low go as the carbs are still there) and drop your carbs lower. Ie bread, potato, rice, pasta, cereals including oats - all of these regardless of any colour or Gi rating. It would likely help with weight loss too. In order to still have energy stop avoid fats, don’t use low fat products.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Greyhoundwalker

I realise you have posted this thread in Pre-diabetes section of the forum, but there is nothing in your profile to say what type of diabetes you have, or what meds you take. Depending on those factors, and your chosen carb intake, the difference in carbs between different brands can be insignificant, or make a major impact.

To complete your profile you need to be logged into the main dcuk forum (not the App), and click on your profile name on the top right of the screen. Select Personal Details, complete the fields, and save.
Then everyone will understand where you are coming from, when you ask a question.

From my own perspective, I have tried several of the various low carb breads, but ended up not bothering. They were always disappointing to me. Although sourdough seemed to suit my blood glucose levels better than the others.

Ah okay, thanks, I thought I was signed in but I’ll go and take a look and see if I can update details, techs not my strong point! I have introduced myself on here but it was 5 months ago so of course no one would remember, sorry!
I was told I was prediabetic from a fasting blood glucose blood test in January, the level was 5.8. This was at my GP surgery but I just saw a nurse not a doctor. She advised me to lose some weight, reduce added sugars and “white” carbs, and come back for a retest in 6 months. No meds. I had 40lb to lose to get to a healthy BMI, I’ve lost 22lb, 18 still to go. My blood test was due in July but I’m actually having an HBA1C test done on 5th June as GP wants to check to see if he can rule out diabetes due to an athletes foot infection that keeps coming back.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Resurgam
I'm just astonished at the amount of carbs you are eating - four slices of bread a day is twice my daily total - and then you eat potato as well? !!!
You will notice that there are rather a lot of comments about nurses and doctors who advise that eating certain foods is fine - sometimes with the advice not to test - it will be fine - yeah right.

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm just astonished at the amount of carbs you are eating - four slices of bread a day is twice my daily total - and then you eat potato as well? !!!
You will notice that there are rather a lot of comments about nurses and doctors who advise that eating certain foods is fine - sometimes with the advice not to test - it will be fine - yeah right.
Hi Resurgam
Really more confused after consultation with D nurse . They tell me most food I eat is fine yet my gp gives me conflicting information.
I must be lucky as small portion of potato with dinner rises me by between 2-3 on my meter.
My levels are usually between 5- 7 in the evening and 7-8 when I wake up .
I have read so many conflicting articles on foods I have got to the point were I just try different food and test approximately 1 hour later to see what suits .
Thanks for for your input , it's very much appreciated.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Resurgam
Really more confused after consultation with D nurse . They tell me most food I eat is fine yet my gp gives me conflicting information.
I must be lucky as small portion of potato with dinner rises me by between 2-3 on my meter.
My levels are usually between 5- 7 in the evening and 7-8 when I wake up .
I have read so many conflicting articles on foods I have got to the point were I just try different food and test approximately 1 hour later to see what suits .
Thanks for for your input , it's very much appreciated.

Although your blood sugar after dinner might be OK, carbs in dinner/evening could be contributing to the morning rise. As for DNs, a lot of them seem to be a bit behind on the last few years research and the NHS guidance on Low carb doesn't seem to have filtered through to many GPs/nurses yet.

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Although your blood sugar after dinner might be OK, carbs in dinner/evening could be contributing to the morning rise. As for DNs, a lot of them seem to be a bit behind on the last few years research and the NHS guidance on Low carb doesn't seem to have filtered through to many GPs/nurses yet.
Hi TriciaWs
Thanks for your input , I must cut out the(lidl) Gi bread for few days to see if that helps , sounds like i got bad advice as i was told it was fine . Maybe sweet potato might also be worth trying ? .

Reactions: 1spuds

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi TriciaWs
Thanks for your input , I must cut out the(lidl) Gi bread for few days to see if that helps , sounds like i got bad advice as i was told it was fine . Maybe sweet potato might also be worth trying ? .

I would test the sweet potato out carefully.
It actually has more carbs than normal potato. However some people can eat it without a significant blood glucose rise, while others (me) get silly high readings.
If you are eating low carb bread, then you might be better having lower carb options to replace your potato. Swede, turnip, celeriac, cauliflower in the form of cauli rice, cauli cheese (LC version), broccoli riced or cheesed like the cauli, oomi noodles, konjac noodles, Lo-Dough... there are quite a few options.