1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Another libre thread ..

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Mad76, May 14, 2019.

1. Mad76

Mad76 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Sorry, i know there are loads of questions about the libre, but i have another ...
    Im a bit of a dinosaur, technology wise, so at present i use the freestyle libre scanner with my patch.
    However, ive been reading on here ypu can scan with your smart phone. I have a samsung galaxy s6 - can i use this ??

Also can i use my phone and the libre scanner- both with one patch ??

Lastly can anyone point me to an idiot proof set of instructions to use my phone for this ??

Thanks on advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It is available on Google play store

and their website states:
    Android

• Operating system: Android 5.0 or higher
    • Near-Field Communication (NFC): Your smartphone must have NFC capabilities and NFC must be enabled.

You set up an account on the app, then scan your sensor

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/products/mobile-app-librelink.html

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To use both the reader and your phone you must start the sensor with the reader and then scan it with your phone within its 60 min setup time - if its after than that it's too late to get your phone to be able to scan it.

I use both - I find the reader much easier and more discreet to use, but find the info and displays on the phone much more useful - scanning with my phone is a bit of a faff (it's getting older and the NFC has never been anywhere near as good as the reader)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

from my experience, if you scan with your libre meter first, you can scan again on your phone. but if you scan with your phone, you can't scan it with your libre meter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mad76

Great, thanks. ... better see if i can find the app

• Like Like x 1
  6. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Search for "LibreLink" in the Play Store. Install the first one that comes up. It has a yellow icon.
    And don't forget to enable NFC on your phone.
    Then you can scan to your heart's content and leave the reader at home.

I believe in you... You can do it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mad76

Thanks
    Im a serious technophobe, but seem to have managed to get the app.

The thing i dont like so far is that the phone and scanner dont share info

Plus my phone is in a case so the scanning isnt as easy as with the scanner

But once im used to itl itll definatly be more convenient using my phone. I think.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

The way I understand it, when you scan, you download all the data on the sensor. This is 8 hours of data regardless when you last scanned. If you last scanned 10 minutes ago, it will update the last 10 minutes onto the scanner you used. If you last scanned 10 hours ago, it will download the last 8 hours and the first 2 hours will be blank.
    As you have found, there is no way to input data into your scanner (reader or phone) apart from from the sensor which is why they do not "share data".

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mad76

Thanks everyone . So this is another new thing for me to get my head around !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Copernicus

Copernicus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't have a reader anymore, I broke it so I just use my phone. It will start a new sensor no problem.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook