Another newbie question - insulin before snacks

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Should I be injecting novorapid before an evening snack , I usually opt for a greek yogurt with nuts to kill a hunger pang , and sometimes my bg levels can be a bit high the following morning

I'm currently taking 5 units of novorapid before 2 meals a day and 4 before on meal , I'm also on 14 units of lantus at night

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you carb count? Do you know how to work out how much Novorapid to take dependent on what you eat?

I know if I have a snack with more than about 5 carbs I have to take my fast-acting insulin to cover it no matter what time of day it is otherwise my sugar levels are not very pleasant viewing - but as ever everyone is different, so don't base it on what I need :)

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Do you carb count? Do you know how to work out how much Novorapid to take dependent on what you eat?

I know if I have a snack with more than about 5 carbs I have to take my fast-acting insulin to cover it no matter what time of day it is otherwise my sugar levels are not very pleasant viewing - but as ever everyone is different, so don't base it on what I need :)
Hi rokaab , i am carb counting for my meals , well as much as i can work out !! , but sometimes i need a wee snack as i might be a bit peckish , what would be the carb count be to justify taking a dose

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi rokaab , i am carb counting for my meals , well as much as i can work out !! , but sometimes i need a wee snack as i might be a bit peckish , what would be the carb count be to justify taking a dose

Have you been given a ratio to work with? That way you can calculate the insulin needed for that snack. Have you seen a dietitian ask about it? Or referred to a carb counting course?
I’d say it’s best to try low carb snacks until you have the information you need to work out insulin for carby snacks.
I’ve stopped snacking, so increased protein for meals and have low carb snacks to reduce spikes and fluctuations.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You might add to your profile page what type diabetic you are, you are a type 1 I believe?

If you are a new type 1, you might still be making some insulin, until you don't. But you will end up needing insulin for every carb you eat, even broccoli. If you are rising after eating any carbs and yogurt usually has some, you probably need insulin for it.
But in the honeymoon phase you still make some insulin (until you don't) and taking insulin at night can be touchier because of dropping too low while you sleep.

So I guess it depends on how high you are going. This is also where a CGM comes in really handy. You can see if you are staying high all night or just going high before you wake which would be dawn phenomenon.

Type 2's still make insulin, they just don't utilize it well. So you have to handle it differently.