Another newbie

Yorkietiger

Hello,

New to this forum but not new to t2d was diagnosed ten years ago now. I am 63 and retired and having some issues so I thought I would ask for some advice. Up to a year ago my diabetes was reasonably well controlled, HB1AC 6.5% on Metformin and DPP-4 inhibitor. Then, next HB1AC came in at 6.9 six months ago, and between Xmas and new year I ended up in A&E for something entirely unrelated, and they tested my blood sugars as a matter of routing and they were 16 mmol/mol and they suggested I saw my GP. He sent me for another HB1AC, this time returning 7.7%, so big deterioration in numbers, but I am doing nothing different. Same food, same exercise, but have increased in weight, added 8 kegs in a year.

Got glucose monitor since last test and despite reducing carbs, still getting fasting readings of around 9 rising to above 11 or 12 2 hrs after eating. Please can anyone suggest what approach I should take to diet and testing to improve matters.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @Yorkietiger
Give us an idea of what you are eating in an average day, we may be able to make some suggestions.
"Reducing carbs" doesn't give us mutch to work with

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
An idea of what you are eating would help. Alos without wanting to pry too much are you overweight. 14 kgs is nearly 30 lbs that is a lot to put on. I brought my weight down from 195 lbs to 155 lbs in about a year on a low carb diet - about 50 gms per day. I am now keeping at about 55 - 60 gms per day in order to not drop more weight. But most of the lost weight was around my waist - 6 inches, Was this where your 15 kegs ended up? If it is, that may be where you higher bg levels are coming from. I understand that this is the fat (created by unused glucose) that is available for the liver to make more glucose. If your bg levels drop, then the liver dumps and then you eat, you may be causing higher after eating bg levels (and am fasting). Not a god spiral to be in.
I also do a lot of exercise. Your higher bg may also be due to your muscles not absorbing the glucose. Retirement did this to me, so I took up weight lifting.
Low carb diet, strenuous excercise, this forum and prayer at Church have all come together to get me off insulin and the lowest level of medication (now only Metformin) for about 12 years/
Many here have done it so set a goal and get started.

Yorkietiger

So, a typical day might be, breakfast - 2 fried eggs with 3 sausages and mushrooms, lunch - ham salad with lettuce, coleslaw, one small beetroot, cucumber, dinner - chicken casserole (including onions small amount of sliced carrot, maybe five or six slices) with green beans, leeks and one tablespoon of mashed potato, dessert low fat no added sugar blueberry yogurt

Another day might be breakfast - porridge, lunch - poached eggs (2) and grilled bacon, dinner - pot roast brisket of beef with cabbage, broccoli and sliced sweet potato wedges, dessert peaches in own juice with double cream.

No bread, or biscuits or cakes, maybe a square or two of 85% dark chocolate, and an apple if hungry in the evening.

Last edited:

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
AS we all say on here, "We are all different," when it comes to how we process food. For myself, I have watch out for sausages, the fillers can be all carb. Carrots, beans of any type, sweet (all) potatoes, leeks (onion family), broccoli all send my bg levels high. I do have a little potato at a meal now that I have my weight down. I also started having a little porridge for breakfast (max. 20 gm carbs) to help maintain weight but could not eat it until now, even though it was a required part of the diabetic breakfast diet in hospital.
If you are able to test before and after a meal, you will be able to find out which foods work best for you.

Yorkietiger

An idea of what you are eating would help. Alos without wanting to pry too much are you overweight. 14 kgs is nearly 30 lbs that is a lot to put on. I brought my weight down from 195 lbs to 155 lbs in about a year on a low carb diet - about 50 gms per day. I am now keeping at about 55 - 60 gms per day in order to not drop more weight. But most of the

Yorkietiger

Yes over weight for sure, and yes weight I have put on is around my middle. Rather like you are suggesting I suspect I am in a vicious cycle here where more weight going on is pushing up BG levels which in turn is leading to me producing more insulin, which is then causing me to put on weight.

I have been retired for several years now, and I do not think it is that causing the problems, if anything I have done more exercise since finishing work where I was desk bound for 10 hours a day.

When is say reduced carbs, I mean I have cut out bread, rice, pasta and all sweet treats bar the odd square of dark chocolate. Reduced potato intake by about 70%. Clearly this is not enough though with fasting BG up at 9.0!

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes over weight for sure, and yes weight I have put on is around my middle. Rather like you are suggesting I suspect I am in a vicious cycle here where more weight going on is pushing up BG levels which in turn is leading to me producing more insulin, which is then causing me to put on weight.

I have been retired for several years now, and I do not think it is that causing the problems, if anything I have done more exercise since finishing work where I was desk bound for 10 hours a day.

When is say reduced carbs, I mean I have cut out bread, rice, pasta and all sweet treats bar the odd square of dark chocolate. Reduced potato intake by about 70%. Clearly this is not enough though with fasting BG up at 9.0!

So you may have to be cruel (to yourself) to be kind as I was. I believe some on this forum have gone to very low carb (<20gms per day). This may be the way for you but it was easier for me to reduce the carbs over a few weeks down to 50 gms. rather than in one go. Having got almost to where I want to be - the goal is zero medication - I do allow the occasional treats. So I think that setting a goal - A1c level, weight target, after meal bg level - is essential and a small celebration may be part of the target.
BTW - watch outf or peripheral neuropathy. This is one penalty for failure. Mine seems to be slowly improving but I need to get my A1cs to below 6.0. This is my secondary target.

Reactions: Mike d