Another Type 1 newby

Essextireddad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was diagnosed on Wednesday 16th Sept as a Type 1. This was in hospital and I have spent a few days on drips etc whilst they tried to lower my keytones (they were over 17).
I have found like nearly everyone in my condition that this is a huge shock. I am 46, slim, and very active, I am using this forum to understand the ramifications of this disease - especially in the related conditions. I am clearly still adjusting but seem to have my Glucose levels around 10. I am on Lantus in the evening and then NovoRapid before each meal.

Thanks
Adrian

Reactions: 2 people

Lesleyglo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was diagnosed on Wednesday 16th Sept as a Type 1. This was in hospital and I have spent a few days on drips etc whilst they tried to lower my keytones (they were over 17).
I have found like nearly everyone in my condition that this is a huge shock. I am 46, slim, and very active, I am using this forum to understand the ramifications of this disease - especially in the related conditions. I am clearly still adjusting but seem to have my Glucose levels around 10. I am on Lantus in the evening and then NovoRapid before each meal.

Thanks
Adrian
Hi,
Im 48 and was diagnosed type 2 9 weeks ago, on 6th sept was admitted to critical care for 5 days with ketoacidiosis, turns out im type 1, was suffering with dry mouth, leg cramps, terrible thirst etc.
Like you im on lantus every evening and novarapid for meals, im managing to keep my bs below 10 and dont feel too bad in myself.
Its just starting to sink in that this is it for the rest of my life, thats taking a bit of getting used to.im finding this site really helpful, hope you're feeling much better very soon :)

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome to the forum, I'm also type 1 was diagnosed with a DKA as well. Although I'm a lot younger at 22, things will get easier if you have questions then people on this forum will try their best to answer them :)

Lesleyglo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome to the forum, I'm also type 1 was diagnosed with a DKA as well. Although I'm a lot younger at 22, things will get easier if you have questions then people on this forum will try their best to answer them :)
Thanks, im finding this forum so helpful, a lot to take in at the moment and my carb and cals book is my bible lol this forum certainly lets you know youre not on your own :)

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, im finding this forum so helpful, a lot to take in at the moment and my carb and cals book is my bible lol this forum certainly lets you know youre not on your own :)

Yeah think that's the important thing, there are a lot of us but unfortunately most people without this don't understand and say stupid things :facepalm:

Lesleyglo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah think that's the important thing, there are a lot of us but unfortunately most people without this don't understand and say stupid things :facepalm:
Yes im just starting to find that, ive even got work at the moment trying to get me off nights because of it but ive done my research and they cant :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It will take a while for it all to sink in. If you haven't yet been told about carb-counting the NovoRapid with your meals then discuss this with the nurse shortly. By adjusting the NovoRapid to match the carbs for each meal you will achieve the best control and lower the risk of hypos. You may also need to tweak the Lantus dose whcih you can also discuss with the nurse.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hi

Thanks
Adrian

I was diagnosed in july aged 30,also like you I kept myself fit. When diagnosed it came as a massive shock and took me a few weeks to get into the swing of things,my situation was very similar to yours as been in hospital on a drip for 3 days,not nice at all but its not the end of the world as a may feel when diagnosed :).Once you get into the swings of things you ll be ok bud ;)

jenhop187

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 in February 2015 at 28years old. It was a huge shock as it was diagnosed when i visited the GP for something else. Was only on very low doses to start then went into DKA in June spend 8nights in hospital, where my dsn nurse said than when I prob would of been diagnosed if they hadn't already picked it up. On twice daily still when is nice as I dnt have to carb count, but I've heard you get a lot better control from basal/bolus.
It took me a long time to adjust but starting to find I'm fitting my diabetes around my lifestyle rather than letting it control me. Still have days where I question why this is happening to me, but I suppose than just going to take more time. Feel free to ask any questions. I have found some useful info on this site but I've also read some ridiculous stuff too!!

jenhop187

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 in February 2015 at 28years old. It was a huge shock as it was diagnosed when i visited the GP for something else. Was only on very low doses to start then went into DKA in June spend 8nights in hospital, where my dsn nurse said than when I prob would of been diagnosed if they hadn't already picked it up. On twice daily still when is nice as I dnt have to carb count, but I've heard you get a lot better control from basal/bolus.
It took me a long time to adjust but starting to find I'm fitting my diabetes around my lifestyle rather than letting it control me. Still have days where I question why this is happening to me, but I suppose than just going to take more time. Feel free to ask any questions. I have found some useful info on this site but I've also read some ridiculous stuff too!!