Anti GAD anti bodies

Chrisymac88

Hi,

I was diagnosed with diabetes just under 2 years ago. I was initially told I was type 2 and was referred to a diabetic clinic. Over the next few months I brought my hba1c down to 43 through diet and exercise and Metformin. The clinic then told me my doctor would handle my care as I was managing well. I asked was I definitely type 2 as I am a normal weight and pretty healthy on my last visit so they ordered tests (I was 32 at the time).

Fast forward two years and my doctor rings to let me know the anti GAD antibody test was overlooked and it was positive (think she quoted 76) back in September 2020.

I am on Metformin currently but had they noticed this would my medication/care have been different? I am pretty annoyed it was missed.

Thanks,
Chris

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,

I was diagnosed with diabetes just under 2 years ago. I was initially told I was type 2 and was referred to a diabetic clinic. Over the next few months I brought my hba1c down to 43 through diet and exercise and Metformin. The clinic then told me my doctor would handle my care as I was managing well. I asked was I definitely type 2 as I am a normal weight and pretty healthy on my last visit so they ordered tests (I was 32 at the time).

Fast forward two years and my doctor rings to let me know the anti GAD antibody test was overlooked and it was positive (think she quoted 76) back in September 2020.

I am on Metformin currently but had they noticed this would my medication/care have been different? I am pretty annoyed it was missed.

Thanks,
Chris

Around 75% of T1's test positive for GAD so the results are not as conclusive as many would like. Some T1's do not test positive and some non-diabetic people test positive.

If you had been diagnosed as T1 from the outset it is quite possible that you would have started insulin injections immediately although I am surprised that you've managed to keep your glucose levels under control with Metformin alone if you're really a T1.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Chrisymac88 I would be really interested to hear what you are being advised going forward - I was diagnosed before Christmas as T1, then T2 within days, then my C-peptide came back at super T2 levels, but then GAD etc, taken at the same time, all came back positive:banghead:

Rather then being an oversight, blatantly ignored, with me being placed on the 12month+ waiting list to see a consultant, despite me raising my concerns. Fortunately I have a private appointment at the end of March to try and get a definitive diagnosis, (maybe LADA?), after my second/3 month HbA1c.

I was on minimal insulin (<10 units per day) for 3 weeks as I had an HbA1c of 129.5 at diagnosis, but I came off that and have just been on 2g Metformin since, with BG averages about 5.3 for the last couple of months on a reduced carb and increased light exercise routine.

So you are not alone in the dark wilderness of diagnosis!

@urbanracer Is there an option to be an anti-body positive non-diabetic, who has a dalliance into T2/insulin resistance, then go into remission?? Can I have a big handful of those straws to clutch please??:doctor:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi @Chrisymac88 I would be really interested to hear what you are being advised going forward - I was diagnosed before Christmas as T1, then T2 within days, then my C-peptide came back at super T2 levels, but then GAD etc, taken at the same time, all came back positive:banghead:

Rather then being an oversight, blatantly ignored, with me being placed on the 12month+ waiting list to see a consultant, despite me raising my concerns. Fortunately I have a private appointment at the end of March to try and get a definitive diagnosis, (maybe LADA?), after my second/3 month HbA1c.

I was on minimal insulin (<10 units per day) for 3 weeks as I had an HbA1c of 129.5 at diagnosis, but I came off that and have just been on 2g Metformin since, with BG averages about 5.3 for the last couple of months on a reduced carb and increased light exercise routine.

So you are not alone in the dark wilderness of diagnosis!

@urbanracer Is there an option to be an anti-body positive non-diabetic, who has a dalliance into T2/insulin resistance, then go into remission?? Can I have a big handful of those straws to clutch please??:doctor:

GAD antibodies can exist in general in people without diabetes, who never go on to develop diabetes. They are also linked to other autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid disease. They will need to monitor your c-peptide.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi,

Thanks,
Chris
They need to confirm with your c-peptide and fasting glucose levels. GAD antibodies can exist in general in people without diabetes, who never go on to develop diabetes. They are also linked to other autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid disease.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GAD antibodies can exist in general in people without diabetes, who never go on to develop diabetes. They are also linked to other autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid disease. They will need to monitor your c-peptide.
Thanks @ert :)