Antibiotics & Blood Glucose

CrumblingWall

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys, I had wisdom tooth surgery last Wednesday and was given antibiotics due to infection. I have noticed that my fasting glucose became higher since antibiotics. Usually 5.2-5.6 mmol/l I now wake up 6-6.2 mmol/l

I also see that same amount of carbs is spiking me higher than in the past. And I also do not want to go below 6 mmol/l during the day even after not eating for a long time. The only time I go to 5.x is when I go for a walk.

I now started eating less carbs because I am spiking higher and feel awful with my regular foods...

For reference, I am type ***, where I have failed OGTT 3 years ago, no antibodies (for now), high BG spikes and just overall something awful developing. I am going back for MODY test (GCK) but don't put much hope into this.

It seems that either my basal capacity has reduced or insulin resistance has increased. Anyone experienced issues with abx?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's absolutely normal for levels to go up due to infection. As a T1, I just increase my insulin dose, as a non-medicated person, you just live with slightly higher levels....

Sorry you are feeling bad, hopefully you will recover from the infection soon.

Good luck.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys, I had wisdom tooth surgery last Wednesday and was given antibiotics due to infection. I have noticed that my fasting glucose became higher since antibiotics. Usually 5.2-5.6 mmol/l I now wake up 6-6.2 mmol/l

I also see that same amount of carbs is spiking me higher than in the past. And I also do not want to go below 6 mmol/l during the day even after not eating for a long time. The only time I go to 5.x is when I go for a walk.

I now started eating less carbs because I am spiking higher and feel awful with my regular foods...

For reference, I am type ***, where I have failed OGTT 3 years ago, no antibodies (for now), high BG spikes and just overall something awful developing. I am going back for MODY test (GCK) but don't put much hope into this.

It seems that either my basal capacity has reduced or insulin resistance has increased. Anyone experienced issues with abx?

For your information, you can get sugar free, lactose free, or allergy free anti biotic.

If I had to take anti biotic for an infection that is the blood glucose levels I would expect! Because normal anti biotic has sugar in them for taste.
But I always have sugar free and lactose free!

Hope this helps