Antibiotics?!

daisypettitt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone just stared a course of amoxicillin into my 3rd day now and bloods have risen abit for no reason, do I put it down to the penicillin? Also do I adjust ratio accordingly?

Reactions: briped

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi everyone just stared a course of amoxicillin into my 3rd day now and bloods have risen abit for no reason, do I put it down to the penicillin? Also do I adjust ratio accordingly?

Hello Daisy - sorry no one had responded to your query - how are your bloods today ?

Antibiotics can raise your blood glucose levels but then so can the underlying cause, so if you have an infection then your body will produce more glucose hence the rise, you would need to adjust your correction dose and keep a close eye on your meter to monitor, hope you're feeling better soon.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sorry, I didn't see your question. I'm a T2, so wouldn't know the answer to your last question, and only maybe your first. I'm on antibiotics too, but cut down on my T2 meds the same day as I started the course. My BG has gone up, but put it down to 1/ the infection 2/ lower dosis of T2 meds 3/ the penicillin or 4/ all 3 of them. I'll find out when I'm not on penicillin anymore, I suppose.
I hope your infection clears up soon.

Reactions: Max Blacksmith

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @daisypettitt,
Could it be that the reason for your antibiotics, an infection of some sort, could be the cause of your raised BSL, rather than the antibiotics themselves?
It might take 3 + days for the antibiotics to start to stop the infection. Or worst case ? the antibiotics are not working??