Antibody results

eshobabu

I was going through my 6yr old daughter's test results - she was recently diagosed T1.

IA-2 Antibody: >120 H
Glt Decarbx Ab 11.2 IU/mL
IgA 193.0 mg/dL Normal
Anti-IgA Ab ELISA Normal
Insulin Ab (IAA) Normal
Gliadin IgA 20 Units Weak Positive (upto 19 normal)
Gliadin IgG 19 Units Normal
TTG IgA 4 U/mL Weak Positive

The GAD number is higher than range (0-5). IA-2 is quite high. Everything else is either normal or close to upper range of normal. I am reading conflicting pieces of research:
"IA2 antibodies have been shown to be a better marker of glycemic control and of a lower insulin requirement, indicating residual beta-cell function."

However, I have also read, "IAA prevalence correlates inversely with age at onset of diabetes; it is usually the first marker in young children at risk for diabetes [17] and found in approximately 70% of young children at time of diagnosis[1]." - I am assuming this is the Insulin AB that she tested normal for.

My daughter is 6, but I believe her diabetes is related to COVID - does anything stand out from these results? I have an appointment with our endo on Monday, what kind of questions should I ask on basis of test results above? At this time, she is using no basal (she went hypo even with 1 unit basal) and she needs between 0.5 to 1 unit of fast acting on basis of how many carbs she needs. If she runs for 20-30 minutes after food, she needs no insulin, so she is in a honeymoon phase right now.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You seem very well informed. I would ask if it was worth trying 0.5 unit of basal. Also, whether they will monitor her beta-cell function every three months with a c-peptide test. I hope your meeting goes well.

eshobabu

You seem very well informed. I would ask if it was worth trying 0.5 unit of basal. Also, whether they will monitor her beta-cell function every three months with a c-peptide test. I hope your meeting goes well.
I prefer to avoid basal - we make sure she goes to bed around 140-150, and she wakes up at a nice 80-90. Do not want to mess that up unless necessary. Basal minimum unit is 1, and even with that we'd have to bring her up around 4 am.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I am beginning to think that there is too much focus on standalone antibody tests - IMHO these do not provide much helpful information unless accompanied by a concurrent c-peptide test to check exactly how much insulin the pancreas is still able to produce. Ask for both.

Reactions: ert

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GAD is usually in the 100s by the time of diagnosis. Could be that it was caught very early. Sounds like she doesn't need basal. Just some bolus with carby meals. Long may it last. Time will tell what way it goes and how it needs to be treated.