Reactive Hypoglycemia Anxiety

LouisSunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I shouldn’t be asking this question as I know the answer really. Having RH with diabetes for nine years has had its ups & downs. I have always been very positive dealing with it but for some reason I am struggling? It’s a constant battle for work, friends & family to understand it. I drop into a hypo every two hours if I don’t catch it but I was wondering if my severe anxiety is having an effect? I’m also suffering very bad heartburn with everything I eat too

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I shouldn’t be asking this question as I know the answer really. Having RH with diabetes for nine years has had its ups & downs. I have always been very positive dealing with it but for some reason I am struggling? It’s a constant battle for work, friends & family to understand it. I drop into a hypo every two hours if I don’t catch it but I was wondering if my severe anxiety is having an effect? I’m also suffering very bad heartburn with everything I eat too
I will always try and understand what you are struggling with.

I get the issues with the acceptance from friends, family and work. Getting accepted is not just RH, but it took a bit of explaining and always having a medical Identity bracelet, necklace, even a tattoo with RH on you, with instructions on you in case. You can find them if you Google.
Could the struggle be about how low carb you are or the amount of small meals you are having? I found that way of treating the hypos and symptoms just didn't work. What was your last hba1c?
If you have read any of my posts lately, I only eat in the late afternoon, evening. In about a five hour window. I never eat carbs, just protein, veg, fats. No junk, only fresh food, nothing that has been in a factory.
Anxiety can raise your BG a little bit, but not by much, but So could colds, flu etc.
Heartburn could be many things. And even going lower carb might help, but if it is so bad, speak to your GP or your endocrinologist. It could be something in your stomach such as a hiatus hernia. But that would be guessing.
Have another read through some of my last lot of posts on our forum, something might click.

I have to go now, but if you leave a post, I will catch it tomorrow.

My best wishes.

LouisSunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your kind reply Yes I wear a lanyard when I’m out on my own and at work for emergency contacts.

I have had the doctors and the diabetic nurse thinks it’s my sugar levels dropping so quickly causing the anxiety. I’m even getting hypo warnings in the safe numbers, so we will see what they say. My blood test hba1c was 57. The heartburn he thinks is just acid and is treating it hopefully.

Had a huge family drama because I am unable to look after my Mum now on my own. Had to battle to explain after 9 years people just don’t get it?? I can’t even go food shopping on my own anymore.

Kind regards Donna

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anxiety can kick your liver into gear, so it dumps glucose. If your pancreas then overreacts and makes you hypo... Then yeah, I can see that might be a problem! RH is normally an overreaction to the carbs you eat (pumping out more insulin than you need), so... Have you tried low carbing, so you don't spike high and low anymore?

Also, if anxiety is the main culprit here when it comes to spikes and dips, it may be useful to talk to the doc about it. There are excellent meds out there that might be able to help make you feel less anxious, which'd also prevent liver dumps, then. (I know I'd be on them if it wasn't for them clashing with other conditions I have. Lord knows life would be a lot easier without my perpetual panic attacks!) Right now this is inhibiting your ability to function, so... Might be time to ask for some additional help?
Hugs,
Jo

PS: Sodium bicarb might help with the heart burn.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Donna, @LouisSunny ,
You are so right, people don't get that normal basic food, is bad for you. How can that be?
I mean bread, spuds, rice, wheat? How can you be so weird? Am I right?
You have to eat something, don't you?

The one thing I have noticed, that wheat is highlighted on food packaging, but that is because of some people having an allergic reaction to it. And it's not what you would think about wheat and gluten!
If you Google intolerance, wheat is first, not just nuts.
Intolerance is so much like having an allergy. Food intolerance shows itself in so many different ways. T2 in itself is basically an overall intolerance to carbs, how much is due to the severity of insulin resistance, insulin and hormonal response. How your body copes with food.
With my RH, it is total carb intolerance that I have to treat the condition. It is in itself unusually severe. So that is how I have to deal with it, with a zero carb diet.

If you haven't read it already, anxiety is symptomatic with RH, but with other factors it would become increasingly likely to become worse. It all depends on your individual circumstances.

I can only advise about battling on to your doctors, I hope you have an endocrinologist, if not get a referral. Talk to your doctor about counselling.

I hate shopping, my worst panic attack was in a supermarket. I do most of my shopping on line now. A local butcher who delivers for me. A local greengrocer for my salad stuff, and so on.
There is meds for heartburn, many different ones. Do ask your doctors.
Levels dropping quickly is typically RH. And the symptoms along with it. That is why control of your BG levels is a must. Avoiding carbs will alleviate many symptoms.
I cannot stress the carbs avoidance enough!

You do have to look after yourself I'm a carer for my wife, but I know my limitations I still have to take care to be fit enough, so I can look after the wife.
RH is a food issues condition, T2 is intolerance, both have carbs as the trigger for the symptoms.

Take care, stay safe.