Any Cyclists Here. Am Pre-diabetic, Have Dropped Carbs But Feel Weak.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have just read this by Adam Brown of Diatribe:

"I discuss three big timing mistakes in Bright Spots & Landmines, and the one shown at right is a common one: eating too close to starting exercise, which can cause low glucose during activity (food has not been absorbed) followed by a significant high afterwards."

This interests me very much, as the question of fuelling before exercise is still very much unresolved for me.
I was having pork scratchings before changing into swimwear and swimming exercise, it gave me no spike after exercise. I had a great hba1c too. Unfortunately back problem and walking difficulties with severe pain stopped my 3 weekly swim. A fatty protein but just a nibble not a meal.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would think taking a bit more carb before exercising may be the best time to do so for those with blood glucose control problem from prediabetic to early type 2. That is likely to minimise the damage and give the muscles a bit more energy.

I cycle, walk and hike perfectly successfully on a low carb high fat or Ketogenic diet. I don't get muscle fatigue at all on any kind of low carb regime. The idea of carb loading is alien to me, as a person with blood glucose dysregulation. (Me and Professor Noakes! :).) I also retain my muscle mass to a significant extent doing fasting and having done low cal regimes. (I feel no effect, and can see the same level of muscle on my limbs.)

I had huge muscle fatigue problems when I was an undiagnosed T2 diabetic with very high levels of BG. No problems since diagnosis and I started dropping my carbs, to the current low level I am today. Fat burning I guess. I have the type of diabetic metabolism where there are usually great drops in blood glucose, in a good way, after physical activity.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was having pork scratchings before changing into swimwear and swimming exercise, it gave me no spike after exercise. I had a great hba1c too. Unfortunately back problem and walking difficulties with severe pain stopped my 3 weekly swim. A fatty protein but just a nibble not a meal.
I doubt very much that your pork scratchings were digested in time to help your exercise, but maybe they helped morally, which is important. In the same way I eat 100% cocoa chocolate drops before and during exercise and they help me feel a bit more energetic. I have read that even the taste of chocolate in the mouth, without any absorption, boosts athletic performance.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately back problem and walking difficulties with severe pain stopped my 3 weekly swim
That must be SO frustrating for you. I do believe you will get back to exercising. I know from your posts that you have the will to do it, and that in the end is what counts most.

Becr

I have just read this by Adam Brown of Diatribe:

"I discuss three big timing mistakes in Bright Spots & Landmines, and the one shown at right is a common one: eating too close to starting exercise, which can cause low glucose during activity (food has not been absorbed) followed by a significant high afterwards."

This interests me very much, as the question of fuelling before exercise is still very much unresolved for me.
This happened to me yesterday! I checked my blood immediately before I went out (confident it would be high enough for a two hour bike ride) and it was at 5.1 so I ate and went straight out. At 45mins I had dropped to 4.6 so ate again. At 2 hours I had dropped to 4!!! At that point I had arrived home and felt a bit ****** but didn't eat as an hour later it was up at 5.5. Presumably the food had finally caught up. A lesson learnt.

Edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This happened to me yesterday! I checked my blood immediately before I went out (confident it would be high enough for a two hour bike ride) and it was at 5.1 so I ate and went straight out. At 45mins I had dropped to 4.6 so ate again. At 2 hours I had dropped to 4!!! At that point I had arrived home and felt a bit ***** but didn't eat as an hour later it was up at 5.5. Presumably the food had finally caught up. A lesson learnt.
Miserable! This must be why diabetic writers like Adam Brown and Dr Bernstein keep emphasising that to correct lows one should use glucose tablets and not food "treats" as the latter are too slow acting and also not precise enough.

Quoted text edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Becr

Becr

I cycle, walk and hike perfectly successfully on a low carb high fat or Ketogenic diet. I don't get muscle fatigue at all on any kind of low carb regime. The idea of carb loading is alien to me, as a person with blood glucose dysregulation. (Me and Professor Noakes! :).) I also retain my muscle mass to a significant extent doing fasting and having done low cal regimes. (I feel no effect, and can see the same level of muscle on my limbs.)

I had huge muscle fatigue problems when I was an undiagnosed T2 diabetic with very high levels of BG. No problems since diagnosis and I started dropping my carbs, to the current low level I am today. Fat burning I guess. I have the type of diabetic metabolism where there are usually great drops in blood glucose, in a good way, after physical activity.
@AloeSvea
Miserable! This must be why diabetic writers like Adam Brown and Dr Bernstein keep emphasising that to correct lows one should use glucose tablets and not food "treats" as the latter are too slow acting and also not precise enough.
Yes. It was the first time I had tested while actually out riding and it was a real eye-opener for me. It's been 6 weeks since diagnosis and I have been sticking to hour long intense sessions at the gym, which push my blood sugar up after. I just assumed the same would happen yesterday but I was out for 2 hours at a medium intensity and starting from a lower blood sugar - which I tried to corrected too late. It does frustrate me but I will not be beaten :) I have been loving being low carb, high fat and am starting to feel more energised and positive. I will get some glucose tabs!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if somebody else has previously mentioned it, haven’t taken the time to read through the whole thread, but Phinney and Volek’s ‘Art and Science of Low Carb Performance’ is the book you need. They have done extensive research based on athletes and LCHF and are the experts in the field.

Becr

Sorry if somebody else has previously mentioned it, haven’t taken the time to read through the whole thread, but Phinney and Volek’s ‘Art and Science of Low Carb Performance’ is the book you need. They have done extensive research based on athletes and LCHF and are the experts in the field.
Thank you! I have just purchased it :)

Reactions: AtkinsMo

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AloeSvea

Yes. It was the first time I had tested while actually out riding and it was a real eye-opener for me. It's been 6 weeks since diagnosis and I have been sticking to hour long intense sessions at the gym, which push my blood sugar up after. I just assumed the same would happen yesterday but I was out for 2 hours at a medium intensity and starting from a lower blood sugar - which I tried to corrected too late. It does frustrate me but I will not be beaten :) I have been loving being low carb, high fat and am starting to feel more energised and positive. I will get some glucose tabs!
In his comprehensive article on the 42 factors that affect bg Adam Brown has a chart with up, down and horizontal arrows. Under Activity he shows light exercise with down and horizontal arrows, but moderate and high intensity get both up and down arrows. And as one's level of fitness / training rises, bg levels off or falls. He also suggests that the time of day when one exercises makes a difference. https://diatribe.org/conquer42factors

Becr

In his comprehensive article on the 42 factors that affect bg Adam Brown has a chart with up, down and horizontal arrows. Under Activity he shows light exercise with down and horizontal arrows, but moderate and high intensity get both up and down arrows. And as one's level of fitness / training rises, bg levels off or falls. He also suggests that the time of day when one exercises makes a difference. https://diatribe.org/conquer42factors
Thank you :) It explains the hissy fits and tantrums I have had in the past when I have ridden my mountain bike for hours and not eaten properly.