Prediabetes Any Help Please

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can anyone help me? I am trying to get my BG down of a morning, I know it is the Dawn Dump but I cannot stop my BG continuing to rise after I get up. I have tried waiting for breakfast, I have tried yogurt and cream, cream in my tea, eggs and bacon. What ever I do it still goes up -

Yesterday I got up to FBG 107(6.) at 07:13, had cup of tea with yogurt and cream. 1 hour later 125, 2 hours later 127, 3 hours later 129, 4 hours 130.
Today 115 at 07:43, had egg, bacon and tea with cream in, 1 hour later 115, 2hours 126.

Please help

Reactions: Freema

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have that problem so hope you get some helpful answers. I stopped having a third meal, just breakfast and lunch, and even that didn't help.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have that problem so hope you get some helpful answers. I stopped having a third meal, just breakfast and lunch, and even that didn't help.

It has been slightly better today with egg and bacon as it started to come down a little at 3 hours but not any where acceptable.

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey Birdwoman! Are you using any kind of medication? Or just controlling with diet?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might need to eat a little carb in the morning if you are like me - without carbs my BG goes on rising all morning and then drops sharply in late afternoon. A few carb stops the rise.
Do you need to stay as low as 20 gm?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might need to eat a little carb in the morning if you are like me - without carbs my BG goes on rising all morning and then drops sharply in late afternoon. A few carb stops the rise.

Eating a few extra carbs (just a few) is normally the way to get rid of possible PIR. (physiological insulin resistance) Very low carb means the body can think our glucose levels are too low, hence it creates extra for the brain and some red blood cells.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debora. I am controlling by diet on a LCHF and less than 20g of carbs a day
You could try asking your GP for Metformin. These days Nice encourages GPs to put pre-diabetics onto Metformin in order to stop us progressing to diabetes. I am currently taking 2g Glucophage and it has definitely helped my morning fasting readings. Metformin is a very safe drug with lots of beneficial side effects. You can read more here: http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a few extra carbs (just a few) is normally the way to get rid of possible PIR. (physiological insulin resistance) Very low carb means the body can think our glucose levels are too low, hence it creates extra for the brain and some red blood cells.

Thank you both for your answers. I will try it and see what happens, I did try a few more carbs a few weeks ago but it sent my readings up, if it helps at breakfast though I will try it. How many carbs are you thinking about? something like a tomato or some cabbage or more than that?

Thanks for your help

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try asking your GP for Metformin. These days Nice encourages GPs to put pre-diabetics onto Metformin in order to stop us progressing to diabetes. I am currently taking 2g Glucophage and it has definitely helped my morning fasting readings. Metformin is a very safe drug with lots of beneficial side effects. You can read more here: http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

My GP insists that I have no form of diabetes now since my A1c thing came back low but I will ask for it to be checked again soon and I don't think it will be low this time.

Thanks for your help

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both for your answers. I will try it and see what happens, I did try a few more carbs a few weeks ago but it sent my readings up, if it helps at breakfast though I will try it. How many carbs are you thinking about? something like a tomato or some cabbage or more than that?

Thanks for your help
I found that one largeish tomato - the salad sort not the huge beef ones, or two smaller ones were enough to switch off the rise.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP insists that I have no form of diabetes now since my A1c thing came back low but I will ask for it to be checked again soon and I don't think it will be low this time.

Thanks for your help
What were your recent A1cs?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The OP has tried yoghurt + cream on rising, cream in tea and also eggs with bacon, which do contain some carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP has tried yoghurt + cream on rising, cream in tea and also eggs with bacon, which do contain some carbs.

I know. I only suggested it may be PIR if she is on a very low carb diet, and the best way to overcome this is to increase carbs very slightly until it goes away. It is often temporary.