Any Lo-Carbers using Lantus?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started on Lantus. This is in combination with the Victoza that I've been on for 3 months, which, at 1.2mg once daily, was doing nothing.

Last night, I took my first Lantus, at the same time (18:00) as my usual 1.2mg of Victoza. I was told to start on 10units of Lantus, but, in my haste for results (and my lack of results on other long acting insulin), I started on 20units. (I've since found out that, for my weight (225lbs) 20units os not such a huge dose.) But...

BIG MISTAKE. :eek:

1 hour later, after having a shower and, foolishly, eating NOTHING, I start to feel the effects of my first ever hypo. It came on very slowly, with some minor shaking in my arms, but within 30 minutes I was dripping in sweat from my head to my feet. Soon after that I was eating the first of 3 bananas (I haven't eaten bananas for more than 10 years!) and asking the missus to go out and get me some sweets and a sugary drink.

Lesson learned. o_O

This, after 1 week of severe carb restriction. I mean ZERO carbs have passed my lips for 7 days.

So now I start my careful experimentation to find my correct dose of Lantus - starting at just 5units. At least now I know that this stuff is not to be messed with. 20units, to my understanding, is not a huge dose. But the effect it had on me was significant to say the least! That's good - because at least I know that this drug CAN get my BG down.

Any other lo-carbers on Lantus (or, even better, a Victoza/Lantus combo) that would care to discuss my foolishness?

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
You took too much too soon. You should start with a low dose and gradually up it till you find your optimum dosage, that is the one that gives the BG readings you want without the hypos.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't understsnd how you survive on zero carbs for 7 days but I've low carbed for 30 years with mixed insulin initially, lantus, levemir, novorapid thru pump..

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can see why you dived in at a dose of 20. If you were a type One that dose may be near correct for your weight. But different things are going on in your system as a Type 2.

I know, that you know, to be more cautious and not to overdue the meds to gain control.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cautious is the word!

Tonight's 5units seems to have had a positive effect, so I'll stay at 5 for a few days and see what happens...

It's my fasting BG that I'm REALLY interested in. By BG just now (before bed) was 8.4, so if I wake up with it somewhere around there I'll bd dead happy!

DD - not sure I follow you? I'm surviving fine!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
But what food is zero carb? I have 19g even with salmon n salad!!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been eating food with (almost) zero carbs in them.

Pepperami.
Tuna.
Cheese.
Steak.
Eggs.
Turkey.

Y'now - practically zero carbs. ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not exactly giving you all the vitamins and minerals you need though.

I don't really understand why you are being so restrictive.

I hope you are ensuring you take a multi vitamin of some description as your vitamin and mineral balance is out of kilter.. Ie where is your vitamin C??

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1. You don't need to eat a 0 carb diet, it's not sustainable and not healthy. You need to get your five a day!

2. I'm type 1 and on lantas/humalog. I eat around 30g carbs per day and on 5 units Lantas. There is no "low" or "high" dose, only what works for each individual.

Try to et ur 5 a day at least :)

Edit* by 5 a day I mean 5 fruit/veg portions, not 5 carbs

Reactions: 2 people