Any low carb bread in Netherlands?

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick question for the Dutch members. I am off to The Netherlands for a quick trip, and I seem to remember mention a while back of low carb bread in Albert Heijn shops? Can anyone let me know what it’s called so I can look out for it please? Any other suggestions for things to try also welcome. I am already a fan of their devilled eggs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, late to this due to a very rotten internet connection, but these lower carb wholemeal and seeded breads should see you through. Enjoy your stay!
Jo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421_054617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_054617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20240421_054723_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_054723_Samsung Internet.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20240421_054750_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_054750_Samsung Internet.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 77

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @JoKalsbeek they look perfect! I will pick some of those up later to have with some lovely cheese (and other AH delights)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll need to try the ones @JoKalsbeek shared, I haven't looked at bread in AH in ages! :hilarious:

I regularly eat these:

A very dense bread, small slices but very filling. 3.8 gr of carbs per slice, sold at Albert Heijn and Jumbo.
1713702746872.png

Or this one from Lidl. More like usual Dutch bread, 6.1 grams a slice.
1713702880210.png

I love these crackers from Aldi, only 1.2 grams a piece.
1713702969387.png

Jumbo sells pretty good low carb wraps, expensive though.
Any other suggestions for things to try also welcome.
You can trust practically all types of sausages in the Netherlands, fresh or dried. Fillers aren't really a thing here. Definitely try Kosterworst or Friese/Groninger droge worst. Very handy when out and about, you can simply eat it as it is and it doesn't need refrigerating.

If you happen to walk by a larger Hema store, go in and get yourself a 'halve warme'. A very tasty juicy smoked sausage, sold hot and ready to eat.

1713703515124.png

And of course a salted herring, bought in any fish store or stall, and even at Albert Heijn. :hungry:
Traditionally eaten by the tail. :)

1713703776779.png

• Friendly
Reactions: Melgar

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Antje77 that dense bread looks good. I definitely have AH and Jumbo near me, but I haven’t seen an Aldi or Lidl. I am right in the middle of town, I wonder if they are likely to be a bit further out of town. I am in Groningen. I should have mentioned I’m vegetarian, so the sausages and the fish are out for me, although I do love your picture of how to eat the herring!

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Antje77 that dense bread looks good. I definitely have AH and Jumbo near me, but I haven’t seen an Aldi or Lidl. I am right in the middle of town, I wonder if they are likely to be a bit further out of town. I am in Groningen. I should have mentioned I’m vegetarian, so the sausages and the fish are out for me, although I do love your picture of how to eat the herring!
I love Groningen, and have even lived there for a while. :)
And yes, being vegetarian, my other tips are completely useless.

Do you like drop (licorice)?
All supermarkets sell very good sugar free drop, provided you like the distinct flavour.

Reactions: AbbayMel

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no, I don’t like drop either! I have found the lower carb rolls, and plenty of cheese. Also cheese pops, they look like popcorn but made out of cheese. Now if I can only avoid the Belgian beer bar I will be fine.

• Optimistic

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now if I can only avoid the Belgian beer bar I will be fine.
Good luck with that one!

You can always stick to spirits of course. The Dutch zero carb specialties are beerenburg and jenever, but wodka, rum, whisky are available everywhere as well, with or without sugar free mixers. ;)

Enjoy!

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to both of you for your kind help @JoKalsbeek and @Antje77. I made it through on low carb rolls, plenty of cheese and the odd dry wine or vodka with diet mixer. I did have to try a Groningen speciality of a boiled egg wrapped in something (maybe thick mustard sauce?) and deep fried. Delicious

• Winner