Any low carb flour substitutes without nuts?

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always liked to bake but I'm finding it hard to bake low carb cakes (and to an extent plain style bread) because I can't substitute in any of what seems to be the go to for most recipes of almond flour (or peanut butter for some cakes / cookie recipes). Does anyone have other options for low carb flour that might be easy to source?

I'm considering maybe gram flour and adding some gluten to it for making bread, has anyone tried this?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coconut flour? It’s not actually a nut. And if it’s about allergies a lot the have been checked for coconut are ok so worth exploring with your dr if not confirmed yet.

And I don’t notice the coconut taste. Ditch the carbs.com have a lot of coconut flour recipes.

Check the carbs as it varies a lot from brand to brand. It shouldn’t be much above 20%. You also use much smaller amounts than other flours and it absorbs a lot more liquid. Available in supermarkets and online.

Reactions: the-mental-one

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These should get you going, sorry it's so long.

For bread try:
1.0 cups (160grm) wheat gluten (22g carbs)
1.0 cups (90grm) soy flour (22g carbs)
0.5 cups (25grm) wheat bran (1.5g carbs)
0.5 cup (76grm) wheat flour (40g carbs)
1.5 cups water
7g sachet fast action yeast
salt, to taste (0.5-1 tsp I'd guess)
1 tsp sugar (gets used up by the yeast) not used with sourdough
glug of olive oil

About 85.5g carb in total
Using sourdough can just about double this
Weight about 1680g
Weight/slice about 41g
Carbs./slice about 2 carbs
Sourdough Carbs./slice about 4carbs

For cakes try:
Yield: 8 servings
  • 1 ½ cups fine almond flour (170grm)
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder(30)
  • 2 tbsp dutch cocoa or additional regular
  • 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup water or milk of choice
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup granulated erythritol or regular sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Instructions
Preheat oven to 180C (350 F). Grease an 8-inch pan, and line with parchment. Stir all ingredients together very well, then spread into the pan. If needed, use a second sheet of parchment to smooth down. Bake 14 minutes on the centre rack (some ovens require more baking time, so continue cooking until firm if needed). Let cool completely before frosting.180

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
50 grm cocoa powder
optional 56 grm melted chocolate
230 grm cream cheese or vegan cream cheese
57 grm butter
1 ½ to 3 cups erythritol for keto
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 to 4 tbsp milk of choice

Let cream cheese and butter spread come to room temperature. Beat all ingredients with an electric mixer or by hand, which won’t be as whipped and fluffy but still works. If too thick, very slowly add more milk of choice. If too thin, add additional powdered sugar. Cover and refrigerate leftover frosting for up to a week.

or
Ingredients
  • 170g Mixed fruit (dried) Carb 141
  • ½ cup Rum/brandy/gin
  • 230grm Almond meal Carb 99
  • 1 tbsp stevia
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Mixed spice
  • ½ tsp Baking soda
  • 60 Grm Butter
  • 1 tsp Vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp Almond essence
  • 4 Eggs
  • 4 tbsp rum (extra)
Carb 240
Weight 736 grm
Slice 64grm
Carbs./slice 21
Icing

½ cup Mascarpone cheese
1 tbsp Rum or brandy

Instructions
  1. Soak fuit in rum (or other alcohol) for 1 hour or longer if you have time. Mix dry ingredients (almond meal, spices, baking soda). Add fruit and chopped nuts. Beat eggs and add melted butter, Stevia and essences and add to remaining mixture. Pour mixture into a 20 cm greased cake time. Bake at 170 degrees C for about 20 minutes or until the cake is firm to touch and a knife inserted comes out clean. When you remove the cake from the oven, pour the remaining 4 tbsp rum over the hot cake.
  1. When cake is cool, spread with icing (combined mascarpone cheese and rum).
Using unsweetened cranberries instead of mixed fruit reduces carbs to:
  • Serves: 20
  • Serving size: 1
  • Calories: 139
  • Fat: 10.8g
  • Saturated fat: 3.2g
  • Carbohydrates: 5.4g
or
INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 pound (1 3/4 cups) blanched whole almonds
• 6 large eggs, separated
• 1 1/4 xylitol
• Grated zest of 1 orange
• Grated zest of 1 lemon
• 4 drops almond extract
• Confectioners' sugar for dusting

PREPARATION
Finely grind the almonds in a food processor.
With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar to a smooth pale cream. Beat in the zests and almond extract. Add the ground almonds and mix very well.

With clean beaters, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold them into the egg and almond mixture (the mixture is thick, so that you will need to turn it over quite a bit into the egg whites).

Grease an 11-inch springform pan, preferably nonstick, with butter and dust it with flour. Pour in the cake batter, and bake into a preheated 160°C for 40 minutes, or until it feels firm to the touch. Let cool before turning out.

Just before serving, dust the top of the cake with confectioners' sugar. Or, if you like, cut a St. James cross out of paper. Place it in the middle of the cake, and dust the cake with confectioners' sugar, then remove the paper.

Variations
•Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the egg yolk and almond mixture.
•Majorca has a similar almond cake called gató d'Ametla, which is flavoured with the grated zest of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and sometimes a few drops of vanilla extract.
•In Navarre, the cake is covered with apricot jam.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iv'e tried Gram flour made into Socca, street food from Marseille, great taste if you add cumin and or garlic, but far too high in carbs for me, the following peak is astronomical.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always liked to bake but I'm finding it hard to bake low carb cakes (and to an extent plain style bread) because I can't substitute in any of what seems to be the go to for most recipes of almond flour (or peanut butter for some cakes / cookie recipes). Does anyone have other options for low carb flour that might be easy to source?

I'm considering maybe gram flour and adding some gluten to it for making bread, has anyone tried this?

Aside from soy flour (about 3g of carbs per 100g) already mentioned by @Bittern, lupin flour (about 2.5g of carbs per 100g), oat fiber (virtually no carbs) comes to mind. Also hemp flour and chia flour have very few carbs. Psyllium husks can be a good substitute for gluten (if you are gluten intolerant, other than this gluten also has very few carbs).

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground or milled linseed (sometimes known as flaxseed) can often be substituted for almond flour

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You might want to look at this thread. Post #72 has a recipe for bread from @mymuk , there are also some follow up posts. The bread is like a wholemeal brioche, a bit cakey for my needs although very good, it might give you an idea.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/k-eto-life-bread.176307/page-4

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've cut the eggs by half since then. I make two loaves on Sundays and that gets me through the week. I really rather like it.

(I've now edited the recipe in that thread)

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used both coconut and sesame flour as alternatives occasionally, but personally found coconut flour hard to work with.
Either may be worth a try.

Lupin and tapioca flours are two that I've seen mentioned, but you'd need to check out how carby they are.