any low carb strength athletes/lifters

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Im a type one diabetic who has started lifting weights and looking to build a muscular strong physique I have tried EVERY diet style of eating known and found a low carb <120 carbs best for blood glucose control im 5'11 around 178lbs and maintaining my weight on around 2700 calories a day or so, I was 195lbs when I started last xmas and lost around 20lbs or so first.

My question is are there any guys here who lift weights/powerlift/bodybuild who are type one and make gains/progress on a lower carb approach? would be great to hear from you lot.

I find low carb is like shooting a bow and arrow you can be a LOT more precise with your BG control rather than high carb which is like firing from a cannon.

My HBA1c is around 5-5.3

Thanks

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not type 1 (T2), and have lifted all my life , lost a lot of muscle after diagnosis and admittedly my control was bad and put on weight , but pulled my finger out earlier this year and went LCHF..........

Am making great progress even on a 20% calorie deficit (tho some could be muscle memory) my BF level is down and my muscle percentage is up, my lifts are up toward my pre T2 levels and have lost 10kg, belt has gone in 4 inches so its all good....

My advice is really up the protein to compensate for the lack of carbs...

I use this http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and go toward the upper range of protein on training days........

Cheers

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sure thanks for advice, im looking to hear from other type ones. Yea resistance training is great. What is your height/weight and calories at minute?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @kieran88. I cyclically low carb with lifting. When I am doing a volume phase I eat <50g per day and around 2000 calories. When doing strength work, it's nearer 2,700 calories per day and both with carb refeeds at weekends, otherwise I find myself struggling as my glycogen stores deplete. I've had a bad day today due to my muscles sucking carbs out of my blood to rebuild after a week of low carb.

I agree that keeping carbs down really helps control levels.

I've made a lot of gains in terms of my max weights and body composition, and have gained a lot of muscle like this. To give it some context, my bench has gone from 20kg to 35kg.

Reactions: 2 people

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how do you structureyour refeeds? also what is your height/weight? nice one is that a 60kg bench to a 90kg bench?
what is your I;c ratios and insulin sensitivity like? also what sort of routine do you follow?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed type 1 but not new to low carb diets or weight lifting.

5'10" and currently weight around 205 lbs. Haven't maxed out in a while but I'm probably around 500/325/550 squat/bench/deadlift.

Personal bests are 675/315/575 back when I used to competitively powerlift. Trying to gain back all the muscle I lost in the months before my diagnosis.

For me (so far) it's been all about insulin management. Low insulin when I'm cutting. Higher insulin when I'm bulking. All low GI carbs and I try to eat them in the morning around when I workout.

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed type 1 but not new to low carb diets or weight lifting.

5'10" and currently weight around 205 lbs. Haven't maxed out in a while but I'm probably around 500/325/550 squat/bench/deadlift.

Personal bests are 675/315/575 back when I used to competitively powerlift. Trying to gain back all the muscle I lost in the months before my diagnosis.

For me (so far) it's been all about insulin management. Low insulin when I'm cutting. Higher insulin when I'm bulking. All low GI carbs and I try to eat them in the morning around when I workout.

That's superb how long you been diagnosed? I have a bet on with my friend so see who is the first to squat double bodyweight so it will be around 160kg for me, probably have to add another 15kg or so to my squat.

Good on you for getting back into it, I have found there is something magical about lifting must be all the glut receptors that get activated in the body.

What type of program and calories etc do you follow? What would a day of eating be like or you and how is your insulin to carb ratios?

Thanks

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sure thanks for advice, im looking to hear from other type ones. Yea resistance training is great. What is your height/weight and calories at minute?

Hi, 5'10" @115kg :( , but have had excess BF for far too long (probably the reason I got T2) , I used the keto calculator http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and have just dropped to 1500 calories /day...........

Very low I know , but had to make a choice,health or size, Have always worried too much about losing muscle/strength in the past, but this time have gone very, very strict......... aim is 85kg @ <15% BF :)

But seems to be working, have just changed from a 5x5 strength based program 3 x a week to a 4 on 1 off 4 day split with a more Bodybuilding emphasis (3/4 sets of 8-12 and then a backoff set of 12-20)

ATB Jase

PS. Running out of clothes to fit me lol:) so well happy..........

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, 5'10" @115kg :( , but have had excess BF for far too long (probably the reason I got T2) , I used the keto calculator http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and have just dropped to 1500 calories /day...........

Very low I know , but had to make a choice,health or size, Have always worried too much about losing muscle/strength in the past, but this time have gone very, very strict......... aim is 85kg @ <15% BF :)

But seems to be working, have just changed from a 5x5 strength based program 3 x a week to a 4 on 1 off 4 day split with a more Bodybuilding emphasis (3/4 sets of 8-12 and then a backoff set of 12-20)

ATB Jase

PS. Running out of clothes to fit me lol:) so well happy..........
That's superb I also used a higher volume protocol when I dieted down was good for keeping my calories as high as possible and stripped fat off.

Was a lot of tri sets aka back squat into weighted chins then weighted dips
Or deadlifts overhead press then a bicep curl was able to start my diet on around 2600 calories and end it at around 2350 odds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 270

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's superb I also used a higher volume protocol when I dieted down was good for keeping my calories as high as possible and stripped fat off.

Was a lot of tri sets aka back squat into weighted chins then weighted dips
Or deadlifts overhead press then a bicep curl was able to start my diet on around 2600 calories and end it at around 2350 odds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 261

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bout 20-22lbs loss in those pics big difference in insulin sensitvity

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's superb how long you been diagnosed? I have a bet on with my friend so see who is the first to squat double bodyweight so it will be around 160kg for me, probably have to add another 15kg or so to my squat.

Good on you for getting back into it, I have found there is something magical about lifting must be all the glut receptors that get activated in the body.

What type of program and calories etc do you follow? What would a day of eating be like or you and how is your insulin to carb ratios?

Thanks
After that, go for triple your body weight! I was always lucky that my legs build muscle/strength incredibly fast. Unfortunately, my upper body has always lagged behind in both. I have a goal of one day benching double my body weight, but I'm a LONG ways away from that.

I was diagnosed September 2nd of this year so very recently. At diagnosis, I weighed about 180 lbs and have gained about 25 pounds since then. At this point, I don't need to gain or lose weight so I've been doing very slow cutting or bulking cycles where my weight fluctuates less than 5lbs.

When I'm cutting, I make sure I stay in ketosis. I try to keep my calories around 2500. I hate feeling hungry so I usually run 15-20 miles a week rather than eat less. I also try to reduce my insulin as much as possible. Again, I'm newly diagnosed (honeymooner) and when I eat less than 40g of carbs I'm actually able to stop insulin injections ENTIRELY.

When I'm bulking, I may eat a few more carbs but only low GI carbs and I try to eat them around my workout times. That allows me to bolus just after a workout which I believe is the most important time for promoting muscle growth. I usually up my calories to around 3000-3500 depending on how fast/slow I'm gaining weight.

As far as my training: I have three workouts focused around powerlifting (squats, bench, deadlift). I also have 2-4 workouts focused around bodybuilding. Ultimately, my approach is always heavy weight low reps. I rarely do any exercise for more than 8 reps/set.

Day1: squat day (5sets of 3), I then follow that up with 6-8 additional exercises (leg press, hamstring curls, farmers walks, etc). My goal for those lifts is 4sets of 6 (so heavy weight)

Day 2: bench day. I do the rippetoe approach(or something similar) for bench 6,5,4,3,2,1. Again, I follow that up with 6-8 additional exercises heavy weight low reps

Day 3: deadlift....same dance (5 sets of 3)

Day4: beach muscles....biceps and triceps (I like doing a push and a pull exercise in the same workout so I don't get too fatigued between sets)

Day 5: shoulders/lats

Other notes:
-I ALWAYS finish my sets/reps. Meaning, if I struggle on the last rep, I'll put the weight down, take a break and try it again.
-I don't have set days of the week I workout. If my body feels rested I'll lift 7 days in a row. If it feels tired, I'll take 1-2 days off when I need to (although I haven't lately).
-I always workout on the morning(around 6am). I find I'm much more susceptible to hypos when I workout at night
-I'm always changing up the structure of my workouts: I never do the same exercises every time.
-I like doing a barbell exercise, then a dumb bell exercise, then a machine, repeat.

To be honest, I've probably been overtraining lately, but it's largely because I've been so motivated and because I remembered what it's like to enjoy being in the weight room. As crazy as it sounds, the strongest I've ever been was when I was 17 years old (I'm 27 now) and prior to my diagnosis, there was about a 4 year period where I put all of my effort into my career and rarely did exercise of any kind.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ah 27 , I vaguely remember it :), I am just about to hit 49 and have all the accumulative knowledge years of lifting but a busted up body..:banghead:

Cant normal bench because of shoulders :( , but can close grip so not all bad , cant deadlift because of lower back issues but can get away with RDL,s just below the knee and about the only squat I can do without problems is the Zercher........ but very light lol.........

So days of big lifting are gone and looking to carry on lifting for a long time , so no more silly stuff........ 3 or 4 hour workouts 5 times a week lol :rolleyes:

Only pic I have from a few years back 2012 ?, was about the same size as I am now 115kg.....trying to hide my gut lol

lIpaGe0m.jpg

Jase

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Woohoo, type 1 here. I lchf and lift. As a bint, probably considerably less. I can squat 60kilo, bench press 25kilo (don't laugh). I can deadlift 55kilo.
And I'm so proud - I've just done my first proper pull-up.
I do split training of legs, shoulders, chest and back. Ive used GVT and Pyramus in the workouts.
I'm starting a new split next week of chest, arms, back and shoulders for 6 weeks. I've got a trainer who is going through it with me. Laughed my head off when I saw skull crusher.
I'm 45 and I was told less cardio or you'll lose your gains. Lmao.
I've started sparring and loving it.

I do the coffee and cream of a morning because of DP. I skip dinner and have tea at around 5.30. Followed by nuts and cheese. Cream with jelly if needed.

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kieran88,

Fellow diabetic lifter here (type 1 for 20 yrs, 31 yrs young).

While I'm not low carb, I have lifted for 10+ yrs; strength training, bodybuilding, calisthenics, plyometrics etc.

I did originally gravitate towards strength training because my body type (5ft 8 stocky) is suited to strength training. However, over the last 3 years I have shifted emphasis towards high intensity cardio, calisthenics circuits and highish rep weight training.

I hit some pretty respectable numbers when I was concentrating on strength training, but just found my body composition/lifestyle/health goals were not going to be realised with power lifting type program (I.e; lean, extremely fit cardiovasculary, being able to train daily [hate excessive doms] etc.

Also, injuries are extremely common when lifting excessive loads...

I'm currently sitting at 93-94 kg (96 kg in the pic below, unintentionally lost 2 kg, too much training)
  • I jump rope 5 times a week; 30 minutes worth of HIIT intervals.
  • Lift weights 3/4 days; splits, 10-15 rep range, 1 min rest, 60 mins including 10 min warm up.
  • Burpees, push ups and body weight squats everyday, unless I'm too sore.
  • LOTS of walking..
Some may say it's excessive or extreme, but I have a very strong affinity with exercise, it is an extremely important part of my life, enabling me to live a 'normal' life, have excellent vitality, and feel good; body and mind... Diabetes is a war of attrition - requires constant battling.

Just quickly regarding my macros; I do agree for the reasons you and other posters allude to above, that low carb can be/is beneficial...However, I prefer to eat relatively low fat, moderate protein, high carb meals -with *little* Insulin...How's that, you might ask..Well...I will nearly always (90% of time) be active within 30 minutes of eating/injecting - therefore I am able to reduce insulin requirement by between 50-90% (compared to if I was sedentary).

A couple of examples (of being active after meal/injection);

• When I am at work, I ensure I go for a very brisk walk within 30 mins after eating.
  • If at home, I will do 2 sets of 20 vigorous burpees (full), within 30 minutes after eating.
  • Pre Workout; today for instance, I had 100 grams of white rice, chickpeas, chicken, 1 piece of bread, mixed veg, chicken breast, a banana, and a sip of lucozade pre HIIT training - if sedentary, this would probably require 12 units of novarapid, but I only required 2. Pre Workout bs level 9.mmol/L, post work out 6.1.
  • Post Workout - Insulin sensitivity is excellent post workout, can pretty much eat what I want with significantly reduced (50%) Insulin requirement.
  • If Im going to be sedentary after eating, I do adopt low(er) carb..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pre Workout; today for instance, I had 100 grams of white rice, chickpeas, chicken, 1 piece of bread, mixed veg, chicken breast, a banana, and a sip of lucozade pre HIIT training - if sedentary, this would probably require 12 units of novarapid, but I only required 2. Pre Workout bs level 9.mmol/L, post work out 6.1.
Wow! Even with exercise following 30 mins afterwards, and even if it was HIIT, there is absolutely no way in hell my body would cope on 2u of novorapid for a sedentary 12u meal. I'd go totally through the roof! Just goes to show how different we all are!

how do you structureyour refeeds? also what is your height/weight? nice one is that a 60kg bench to a 90kg bench?
what is your I;c ratios and insulin sensitivity like? also what sort of routine do you follow?
Basically, in the week, my macros come from 5% Carbs, 40% Protein, 50% fat. At the weekend, for one day I try and invert this, to go to 5% fat, 40% protein and 50% carbs. My carbs are usually oats, brown rice, quinoa, etc. and the protein comes from chicken and fish. I'm 6'4" and 93kg and currently running body fat around 13%.

My bench increase wasn't clear - went up from pair of 20kg dumbells to pair of 35kg dumbells.

I:C ratios aren't something I'll go into specifically - better to say that my insulin requirements have gone down dramatically since I started to do this - roughly halved my TDD. My mealtime I:C ratios aren't noticeably different, so it's mostly about the basal for me.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys

Im training for my first triathlon but also do weights and am almost struggling to eat my 2500 cals per day. The eating isn't the problem... It's keeping my protein below 90gper day. What sort of foods are you guys eating to maintain calories but not getting too much protein? Ta

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

Im training for my first triathlon but also do weights and am almost struggling to eat my 2500 cals per day. The eating isn't the problem... It's keeping my protein below 90gper day. What sort of foods are you guys eating to maintain calories but not getting too much protein? Ta

Fat (cream oils cheese etc) :) check my sig for link to a keto calc that lets you play with your macros...

Just wondering, why are you wanting to limit protein when lifting weights ?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering, why are you wanting to limit protein when lifting weights ?
Normally, I'd be asking the same question, but lately I've encountered the same issue he is having.

I don't seem to have any issues getting to ketosis with as much as 200g protein/day, but anything beyond that keeps me out of ketosis (based on the ketostix test strips I'm using). I also have extremely gradual (but still noticeable) blood sugar increases that I attribute to gluconeogenesis.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Normally, I'd be asking the same question, but lately I've encountered the same issue he is having.

I don't seem to have any issues getting to ketosis with as much as 200g protein/day, but anything beyond that keeps me out of ketosis (based on the ketostix test strips I'm using). I also have extremely gradual (but still noticeable) blood sugar increases that I attribute to gluconeogenesis.

Yeah I was worried about it when I started LCHF but a guy :) on my weight training forum said I would be ok up to a quite high protein intake (300g cause I is fat :)), but as i am between 110g and 180g daily its a pretty moot point..............:)

The guy who gave me the advice used to write for Hardgainer and several other mags etc... http://www.naturalstrength.com/2011/05/bulking-up-z-by-sean-toohey.html

Last edited by a moderator: