1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Any thoughts on this study?

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by lorib64, Aug 13, 2021.

1. lorib64

lorib64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34135111/

They had one group alternate day fasting and one not fasting plus a control group alternate day fasting not on calorie deficit

The study showed lean mass loss on the calorie restricted fasting group compared to same caloric intake non fasting. And less energy expenditure in fasting group

I am trying IF 14:10. It really is not much of a fast but I avoid eating after dinner. Should I be concerned with maintaining muscle? I am trying to lose weight but have stalled.

2. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think that test was done on lean individuals, I think it’s fine for people with higher body fat percentages , but yeah, if you’re on the leaner side, IF might put muscle at risk

• Like Like x 1
  3. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Recent studies show that NEAT is mostly to blame, or most likely to adapt. So, I’d look at adding some exercise or activities to compensate

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook