Anyone choose mdi over pump?

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to fight and wait 5 years for my pump. I needed it due to dawn phenomenon. I have had the medtronic minimed just over 2 years now. Its coming up to my review and I'm seriously considering asking to go back to injections.

Yes the pump has eliminated my dawn phenomenon and improved my Hba1c but I'm really fed up being tethered to it 24/7. I hate my 6 monthly reviews as the team constantly remark on my carb intake etc. It feels really invasive. I also dont own a laptop so have to scramble to borrow one to upload my data before each review and it causes me stress.

Part of me wants to go back to the simple life. I know lots of people are trying hard to get a pump so I feel incredibly selfish. Id love some opinions on this and also if you decided to go back to or stay on pens how has it been?

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know lots of people are trying hard to get a pump so I feel incredibly selfish. Id love some opinions on this and also if you decided to go back to or stay on pens how has it been?
Please do not feel it's selfish should you choose to go back to injecting!
The best way to handle diabetes is not the same for everyone, and if a pump is not the best way for you, even if it improves your numbers,that's OK.
I hate my 6 monthly reviews as the team constantly remark on my carb intake etc. It feels really invasive.
Would the reviews be different on pens? Would it be possible for you to talk to them, explaining why you hate the reviews the way they are now, and what you would like different?

And to answer your question, yes, I'm on MDI by choice (for many different reasons), but I've never tried a pump so I can't really compare the two.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds to me as if your concerns are around the way your diabetes team treat you rather than the pump itself. I do not consider it of any business of my team how many carbs I eat so I do not see why they are commenting upon yours. With regards to uploading the data, is there a possibility that could be done at the start of your appointment. My previous pump required a data upload and was often taken off me to do the upload when I arrived at the clinic and the data reviewed later.
I understand the mental anguish about being tethered to something all the time but if your biggest concerns are around the review process, it may be helpful to explain this to your team.
I guess you have a year or so left with your current pump if you chose to continue. If you consider future pumps, there are some which are controlled via a phone app which uploads direct to the cloud so there is no need to do the laptop connection. And I found a patch pump feels like like being permanently tethered.

On the other hand, there is no need to feel pressured into keeping with a pump if it does not suit you.

Reactions: EllieM

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I had to fight and wait 5 years for my pump. I needed it due to dawn phenomenon. I have had the medtronic minimed just over 2 years now. Its coming up to my review and I'm seriously considering asking to go back to injections.

Yes the pump has eliminated my dawn phenomenon and improved my Hba1c but I'm really fed up being tethered to it 24/7. I hate my 6 monthly reviews as the team constantly remark on my carb intake etc. It feels really invasive. I also dont own a laptop so have to scramble to borrow one to upload my data before each review and it causes me stress.

Part of me wants to go back to the simple life. I know lots of people are trying hard to get a pump so I feel incredibly selfish. Id love some opinions on this and also if you decided to go back to or stay on pens how has it been?
I have no plans to switch to a pump ever. Sticking to MDI which works for me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sjm1308 I think you need to have a heart to heart with your DSN and explain your thoughts to them.

Ultimately the decision is yours and no one elses but it might help to write down the pros and cons of using a pump vs MDI on a sheet of paper to clarify your thoughts on this, DP is a difficult one to manage, but think of other thoughts too such as flexibility, changing bolus patterns to suit food, time in range, comparisons with HbA1c's of pump vs mdi as some other things to think about.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always rejected the pump offer in favour of MDI. However, if offered it now I may consider it for various reasons. As others have said, it appears as though your problems are with the pressure from your team. I would be cross if questioned about my diet. As regards the downloading, as all my appointments are now by phone I have to download my Libre results prior to the appointment. Although a hassle I feel it is a small price to pay for free access to all that helps keeps me fit and well. It is the way things are going.

Reactions: Juicyj

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I don't think it is uncommon for people to wish for the life untethered. Just search for Pump Holiday and you will see what I mean!
The only thing that matters is you and how you are feeling - some of this is about the tethering but most of it seems to be about being judged at the 6 monthly check ins with your team as well as being attached.
Re the pump, I don't mind being attached and now I've got connectivity with a cgm (Tandem pump with dexccom) in combination with low carb, it has made a massive difference. Prior to that with pump and fsl my highs and lows were smoother than on injections so I don't want to go back.
When you say the team are asking for your carbs do you mean the standard questions along lines of how many carbs do you eat per unit of insulin or what is your correction dose etc? I think those are just the usual checklist that they must complete for clinical records and in the case of the Pump to report back to the bean counters re your avoidance of highs and lows via the tech. This justifies the extra cost of the pump.
I had a similar check yesterday and although I am confident I do feel intimidated by the review which feels like going to the headteacher.....
Anyway the only thing I would ask about in your case is the question of will you be able to get a pump again if you do go back to MDI? I don't know but worth considering bearing in mind IMO the tech is going to get better and better with close looping for pumpers in the near future.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a pump, but can often feel I'm facing a Gestapo interrogation when I attend a hospital clinic. I have been accused of lying before now. Some doctors expect us all to conform exactly to the theoretical diabetic, who only exists in medical text books and ask me repeatedly to explain sudden rises or drops in BS. You will all appreciate that sometimes we can't explain the reason for whatever has happened - we just have to deal with whatever our meters/Libres tell us. Returning to MDI may not be much of an answer, but I wouldn't want to be attached to something permanently either.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I was offered a pump a good few years ago but like you didn't like the idea of tubing. I did start the omnipod dash in March (non tubed) As really wanted to get back to the gym. I found the first good few months hard going & like you considered going back to the pens. The pump hasn't cured highs & lows at times (no matter how hard I try), get 1/2 a week of great results & the other 1/2 ups & downs.
Would you consider the omnipod to free up the tethering aspect? Hope you get a sympathetic ear if you discuss with your team.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I was on Pump for 6 years, I found it a nightmare especially doing a manual job.
Constantly chasing air bubbles in pipe, catching the pipes on door handles......
I couldn't do it anymore...it's not for everyone