Anyone else got a doctor who try's to force drugs on to them?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to post to ask people to stop pushing low carb onto @tankgirl , (since she said that she'd found a diet that works...) but then I remembered the HbA1c of 10+.

Sorry, but I cant consider that a diet producing such a high a1c is a successful diet.

And there are many options to prevent constipation that cause fewer long term problems than an a1c of 10, in the long run. Vegetables, psyllium husks, Senna, beneficial gut bacteria, more fat...

Reactions: 9 people

momoftwoboys

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Anyone else got a doctor who try's to force drugs on to them? I have been told i have a cholesterol level of 4.8 and he wants to put me on statins!!!. I would have thought that sorting an HbAC of 10.2 would be more important to tackle.....................................................................................comments please :)
I am very lucky. I have the best endocrinologist. When Dr. Valitutto wants me try a new medicine, he presents it to me and we discuss the side effects and benefits of the medication We decide if I try the medication or not. He has been working hard on my case right now. Having severe hypoglycemia and he is not sure why. I have had several tests and so far everything is fine. Also have memory loss.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, don't take the statins if you don't want them as they have nothing to do with blood sugar or weight. However your blood sugar is way too high and you really do need to re-start the low-carb diet otherwise you are risking long-term damage. There are many types of food that you can have as part of a LC diet and I wonder whether you really spent time trying them? A low calorie diet will probably not get your blood sugar down. Sorry to be blunt but I don't believe you have any choice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Perhaps have a look at the benefits that southport gp found with his t2 patients....the cholesterol, weightloss and hba1c's for people benefitted significantly...
I'm taking his report in to my gp that has just done a leaflet ref cholesterol for patients in the hope that he may learn more about the benefits of low carbing on all bloods...

However, weightloss, exercise etc should also lower cholesterol a little too.

I had muscular problems, stomach problems and my cholesterol breakdown was a little unbalanced. I've always been a low carber but my problems was because I was not having enough fat in my diet. Just by adding a teaspoon of ground flaxseed in to my food each day hugely improved my stomach problems. Since more fat my muscles are hugely benefitting too.

If calorie counting worked for you then your hba1c should be lower. Its finding the right foods that will balance everything..

Eg.. I never used to eat breakfast. Advice given to me was to eat toast or porridge.... Hugely bad for me. So changed to berries, teaspoon of chia seeds and flaxseed with double cream and that has hugely beneffited my hba1c, my cholesterol and my stomach is so good I'm discharged from gastro chaps care at hospital.

Its finding whats right for you, but I would suggest (as others) that you reconsider calorie counting as being ideal for you as it certainly appears that your hba1c does not reflect your thoughts...

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ohnyes, I also had gp's and consultants trying to gorce some sort of statin on me. It is now ckearly stated on all of my records that I refuse them and that I also have a DNR (do not revive) as well. My HCP's have all listened to my thoughts and cannot force me to take anything.

As with all drugs costing money though, please don't get the drugs and just throw them away... Many people do this... It's better to be honest and explain to gp. They hsve to listen...

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible to eat a lower carb diet and be calorie controlled. I am now prediabetic; prior to my last fasting blood test I was on around 140g carb a day, which isn't really very high. Now I am on around 100g as I think I would be able to sustain this in the very long term and my caloric intake is under 1400 kcal / day. Most days it's under 1300 kcal. The thing is, the fat is so filling that I really don't find myself hungry at all between meals in the way I did when my carb intake was higher. I may build in some 'high' carb days just for a treat but because I'm not going for ketosis-inducing levels of carb intake I shouldn't get the massive weight gain that comes with upping them temporarily. Hell, I'd still like to be able to eat a piece of cake every so often!

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, having read all the posts on this subject, and understanding everybody's points of view
feel my change of diet is the lchf route. I am not very good at the calorie counting route, I tend to forget and then end up making a mess of the whole thing. I will also monitor the outcomes and any side effects that I might, a good testing period is going to be the best way for me.
So for now to all who have gone before and can give good support and have the knowledge of the right paths, thank you, ttfn from Karen

KeynLad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed diabetic though numbers marginal. At first appointment with Dr he muttered something about an 80/20 trial and wrote me a prescription which turned out to be for a statin. So I was not being treated as a patient, but a potential statistic. When I had a phone conversation with the Dr I explained my objections to statins on a personal basis including a majority of low risk factors. After asserting that in the first interview he had offered me a choice (not true) he agreed to put no statins in my notes and not to prescribe further.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I am newly diagnosed diabetic though numbers marginal. At first appointment with Dr he muttered something about an 80/20 trial and wrote me a prescription which turned out to be for a statin. So I was not being treated as a patient, but a potential statistic. When I had a phone conversation with the Dr I explained my objections to statins on a personal basis including a majority of low risk factors. After asserting that in the first interview he had offered me a choice (not true) he agreed to put no statins in my notes and not to prescribe further.

...... and your readings?

Mike BTW, welcome:)

KeynLad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mike D, thanks for your kind welcome.
I see that some display their numbers, others don't.
I incline to the latter persuasion.
In any case the thread is about relationships with Doctors.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Understand :) Please appreciate though the fact that this is BOTH a forum for a whinge as much as it it is for advice.

Best of luck

Mike