Anyone else noticed just how much diabetic care has changed over the years?.

Andrew2018

I have been type 1 for over 30 years, ( now 64), and was told over 20 years ago I had issues with circulation and a failing return blood flow in my legs, which interestingly is not obvious on a doppler / ultrasound test. I was also assured way back then that any foot issues, I'd be seen by NHS chiropodists. I have just been for the GP surgery annual check up and found the nurse thought everything was fine, and didn't listen remotely, or even ask about foot issues. I have issues, and on pushing it, got the answer I got a little while back, "issues with toenails and feet?, no, NHS doesn't do that, and you must get it seen, you'll have to pay privately for it" The issue being start of ingrowing nail. That does not make me happy. As it happens, I cannot reach my feet, combination of loss of flexibility and the fact hunched over I cannot breath, let alone see properly !. One wonders just what they expect as I'm self employed on the verge of having to quit work for health reasons, so paying out for a chiropodist is not on, certainly not every time I need my nails cut !.
How dos everyone else get on?. I find the GP seems to operate in a whole different world to the hospital diabetic clinic, and often at odds with them. Great when you get lectured about blood glucose etc, by someone who clearly does not listen to any response.
Sorry if it's a bit of a rant, but I'm getting seriously fed up with it.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too can no longer see to cut my toenails. I can’t see a Podiatrist at nhs clinic so have to pay £27.00 at private practice.

• Informative
Reactions: sue512 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, I sympathise with you both. Here's a fact sheet from a random nhs health authority (Harrogate)

I want my toenails cutting. Do you provide a pedicure service or toe nail
cutting service?
Whilst we see and advise patients, we will not routinely see those unable to
cut their own toenails.
Toe nail cutting is considered as personal care; we are able to provide training
for relatives/carers, alternatively there are Podiatrists/Chiropodists in the
private sector who will provide this service.

Looks to me that the issue is that you need a referral, and the NHS doesn't want people to get referrals for toe nail cutting unless there are other issues as well. (A cynical person might say that this is a cost measure). I guess the trouble is that there are a lot of people, not just diabetics, who can't cut their own nails?

Are you still attending a hospital clinic @Andrew2018 and @Gemma2 ? I guess it might be worth a try to see if they can give you a referral on the grounds of any diabetic complications with your feet?

Good luck.

Reactions: sue512

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I can't reach my feet but have a Chiropodist every 2 months. Have to pay.

• Informative
Reactions: sue512

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just paid for a private chiropodist as I have 40+ years of diabetes on the clock. I do think it was worth it having had the kind of rather superficial checks done by a busy clinic doctor. This person used the usual feathers and pin pricks but also the doppler scan and check for pulses in the feet.
If you have an ingrown toenail get it seen too earlier so as to prevent the kind of problems that will definitely force an early retirement especially if you haven't got anyone who can check your feet or keep them moisturised for you.
I can still cut my own toenails but I think there are devices that can help you get to your toes.

And yes i agree that it isn't the same level of care that I experienced even 10-15 years ago during my 2 eye surgeries and 3 pregnancies so am trying to keep healthy via exercise and diet so I don't need the NHS for anything other than insulin, pump and cgms.