1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone had flu jab i did

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Sparklebrightisright62, Sep 15, 2021.

1. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Without a court order it would be illegal to force medication or vaccinations on to anyone, so I guess that means we must welcome it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Had mine today, had to find a point on my arm that wasn’t tattooed, but on the plus side that helped out the person doing at the local chemist as she was new, so doubled as a learning experience :)

have had the flu jab ever since I was diagnosed, never an issue.

I did find it interesting though that the chemist only had one over 65 jab left, seems they are doing a different one for them. Not sure how it is different

Having seen what the flu and covid does I am more than happy to get the jabs. But everyone has a choice and has to take their own decisions and whatever that means

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The standard flu jab is quadravalent, it contains 4 flu strains. As older people have a reduced immune response, they get a trivalent vaccine with an adjuvant. I don't know why they can't add the adjuvant to the quadravalent version.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It seems I am out of date, this year all flu vaccines will be quadrivalent. The version for over 65's has the added adjuvant.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know that obviously! I just wondered if people ever say no they don’t want it or just have it done because drs have asked them to go for a jab!

6. 1970clea

1970clea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having the flu jab annually has massively reduced the winter woes, work in a school and before I got vaccinated I could guarantee being knocked out for a week by some nasty germ. Not so much now - if it happens it is usually pre vaccine - so I pretty much run there as soon as is possible :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I have always said no.

I rarely do what the doctor "tells" me too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Get one recommended for myself every year haven’t had one so far and don’t plan on getting one I normally up my vitamin c intake during the winter months try to keep myself fit and eat healthily , has worked for me for over 20 years ,

• Like Like x 2
  9. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We had ours Saturday 18th morning.
    I was very sleepy for the rest of the day.
    We are fine today.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Walked into my pharmacy this morning asked for flu jab hung about for a while had it done great no problem except am now typing one armed because cannot move the jabbed arm oh well never mind should be ok in a few days.

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having mine on Monday, GP clinics keep cancelling here but I always go to my local Asda. They're great and we always have a natter. Used to work in a college so always keen to get mine sorted, although after the first year there I rarely picked up coughs and colds.

12. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had mine on Tuesday, no problems apart from lower than normal blood sugar. Had the same reaction to the Covid jab for a few hours, then very high blood sugar for a week or so.

13. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Got mine a couple of days ago via a local pharmacy. Heard nothing yet from the drs anyway and assume I won’t now as they should be informed I’ve had it elsewhere. Absolutely no after effects. Hubby also eligible but chooses not to take it.

I choose to have it now as I do not want it at the same time as the covid booster. Whilst I am happy to make an informed decision to have both I’d rather keep them separate so I can be clearer about any side effects coming from what and so as to allow my immune system to deal with one vaccine at a time. I did the same with my children as babies. Only one jab at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is interesting! Would lower than normal blood sugar give me dizziness over several days do you think? It's just that this was my reaction to astrazeneka jab and I didn't have a meter at that time?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #34 coby, Sep 23, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  15. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought so, but without meter readings it's hard to know. Hopefully others more knowledgeable about type 2 will be able to answer better than I can.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having had flu 20years ago (pre diabetes) and ending up on oral steroids, unable to lift my head from my pillow for about 10 days as I was that ill I always get my flu jab. I never want to be that poorly again if I can avoid it. I was jabbed last Friday

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I have had the flu jab many times with no problems this year however I have muscle pain, joints pain headache and nausia I am unsure as to why I have reacted to this one when I have never done so before.

• Hug Hug x 4
  18. Scotsdude

Scotsdude Type 2 · Member

when I was 63 there was a campaign in the newspapers for all over 60 to get the flu vaccination as we were particularly vulnerable. On talking to my GP he agreed with this and added that as a type 2 diabetics I was doubly vulnerable and he strongly recommended that I have it. I have done so every year apart from 2020 and not had any symptoms.

#38 Scotsdude, Sep 28, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  19. JohhnyHachoo

JohhnyHachoo · Member

I have had my flu jab

20. Widgets

Widgets Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I had my 'flu jab last Friday, no noticeable symptoms at all. I had the jab for the first time last year, same lack of excitement then as well.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook