Anyone on the Ascend Plus trial?

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I’m one month in to the randomisation phase now and convinced I’m on the placebo. All my side effects (nausea mainly) being in the run in of Semaglutide have stopped. The down side is there has been quite an upsurge in my BG levels. Now true, this has coincided with a little more indulgence over Xmas but I’m surprise by how much of a difference it has made especially to my morning levels. I clearly lost some weight on the drug but pleased today no weight gain since being on this “placebo”.

Anyone else on this and at the Randomisation phase?
Just started Randomisation last week. I am sure I am not on the placebo as sickness and constipation got worse. Also struggling to eat some foods. Also feeling full quite easily.

Tony T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just started Randomisation last week. I am sure I am not on the placebo as sickness and constipation got worse. Also struggling to eat some foods. Also feeling full quite easily.
I am starting my third month now. I found the first month beneficial as I lost 1/2 stone, I think due to feeling full and not much appetite. My second month, double the strength I did not feel full or lose any weight, so I feel they may have been placebos. So I’m not holding my breath on the third batch, most probably placebo, we will see.

Reactions: filly

Lynn T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been on the 7mg tablets for a week and woke up last night with the most dreadful tummy ache. Will persevere with the tablets and hopefully things will settle.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Been on the 7mg tablets for a week and woke up last night with the most dreadful tummy ache. Will persevere with the tablets and hopefully things will settle.
Yes, symptoms do seem to get a bit less.

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not started yet still waiting for arrival of tablets, it is nice to see that this chat has started will be good to see how everyone is doing.

• Optimistic
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought aid start a discussion here for anyone on the Ascend Plus trial by Oxford University.

Started my “Run In” phase yesterday and so far so good. No side affects other than fatigue. How are other folks doing?
I am on the first month of randomisation, had a few tummy troubles, burping, feeling full, lack of appetite, lost about half a stone, gone off wine.!! I think I am on the full strength tablet now

• Agree

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I applied for the study in November but only started taking the tablets in January. I'm now on my 2nd bottle with the 7mg tablets. I've been nauseous with them and they give me a bit of stomach pain and my stomach feels a bit 'acidy'. BS levels are down and I've lost 3kg. I just can't eat as much. Tums tablets seem to calm the 'acidy' feeling.

Reactions: TG4567

Loufb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought aid start a discussion here for anyone on the Ascend Plus trial by Oxford University.

Started my “Run In” phase yesterday and so far so good. No side affects other than fatigue. How are other folks doing?
Hi I started my run-in today no side effects as yet but pretty early I guess. Would love to keep in touch.

Loufb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I applied for the study in November but only started taking the tablets in January. I'm now on my 2nd bottle with the 7mg tablets. I've been nauseous with them and they give me a bit of stomach pain and my stomach feels a bit 'acidy'. BS levels are down and I've lost 3kg. I just can't eat as much. Tums tablets seem to calm the 'acidy' feeling.
That’s good to know - I hope your symptoms calm down soon.

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am starting my third month now. I found the first month beneficial as I lost 1/2 stone, I think due to feeling full and not much appetite. My second month, double the strength I did not feel full or lose any weight, so I feel they may have been placebos. So I’m not holding my breath on the third batch, most probably placebo, we will see.

I too am convinced I’m on the placebo. I’m 4 months into the “Randomisation”. Appetite return, no longer nauseous but on the downside BG levels a bit higher and no weight loss. I was never too bad at the “run-in” but I did have constant nausea and it’s a relief not to have it.

I am finding it much more of a struggle to get by BG levels back on track to how they were before the trial. I’m eating low carb, of course, and exercising more. Also more fatigued. Morning levels high 6s/low 7s when they were low sixes. Current average 6.0 when it was 5.6. Straight after the “Randomisation” I had morning levels of 8!! Never had that before.

It’s taken me weeks to get morning levels to low 7s. Readings for the rest of the day are much more in line with before but I’m annoyed about this set back.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I too am convinced I’m on the placebo. I’m 4 months into the “Randomisation”. Appetite return, no longer nauseous but on the downside BG levels a bit higher and no weight loss. I was never too bad at the “run-in” but I did have constant nausea and it’s a relief not to have it.

I am finding it much more of a struggle to get by BG levels back on track to how they were before the trial. I’m eating low carb, of course, and exercising more. Also more fatigued. Morning levels high 6s/low 7s when they were low sixes. Current average 6.0 when it was 5.6. Straight after the “Randomisation” I had morning levels of 8!! Never had that before.

It’s taken me weeks to get morning levels to low 7s. Readings for the rest of the day are much more in line with before but I’m annoyed about this set back.
That is where I am really noticing the drop, first thing. At the moment food not going down, so not eating much. If I try and eat more it feels like it is getting stuck. So I stop.

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day two of trial run in tablets just wondering how long after starting does the sickness etc. start

Loufb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I’ve been on the ‘Run In’ for 10 days now have had the nausea lost some weight and feel less hungry and am eating less at mealtimes. Blood sugar is consistently between 5 and 6. No real problems as of yet I’m pleased to say.

Reactions: filly and Hopeful34

Sandie9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am just starting my second 7mg bottle, previously I had been struggling with fasting blood sugars which were high at around 12 even though I had a low carb diet and not overweight.
Within a couple of days my fasting levels were down at 6 and have been this level fairly constantly. I take metformin as well and during the last month did have a low glucose reading at 3am on one occasion.
I wouldn’t say I have stomach problems with this pill, but it definitely takes my appetite away and I am actual eating more carbs than before just to keep my levels steady.
I would say that I feel very tired most of the time with little energy. Hope this improves.
Not sure how I will react to 14mg once I get to randomisation but am sure I will know if I get the placebo.
Edit.. I too have gone off wine!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AloeSvea

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Am I right that semaglutide is the non-branded name of the anti diabetic ozempic/wegovy?

I must say it is really refreshing to read about its use actually as a treatment for type two, rather than 'just' the weight loss aspect!

Thanks to you folks above for posting - very interesting and informative.

Sandie9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Am I right that semaglutide is the non-branded name of the anti diabetic ozempic/wegovy?

I must say it is really refreshing to read about its use actually as a treatment for type two, rather than 'just' the weight loss aspect!

Thanks to you folks above for posting - very interesting and informative.
Yes, but the oral tablets are branded as Rybelsus I believe.

• Useful
Reactions: AloeSvea

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got an invite today and am carefully considering it. I have a BMI of 22 so not interested in losing weight but I do struggle to control blood sugar due to a chaotic lifestyle. Also have Gastro problems in the form of severe Ulcerative Colitis, so the stories of stomach problems are giving me concern.
How long did the side effects last for you all?
Thanks
Hi, I am on day 11 of the run in tablets so far I haven’t had any queasy or stomach problems. Blood sugar levels are down. Feeling brighter and more energy. I have lost 4lb in weight which would be my only concern if this was to continue as I am not overweight by any stretch of the imagination. I suffer with acid reflux but not had it since being on this medication.

Reactions: Sandie9 and filly

Gary Patrick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just completed the 3 month trial period with no stomach or sickness problems at all. I did lose 5lbs on those.
I am now 4 days into the randomised 14mg pills and haven’t noticed any difference yet. Possibly a bit of constipation but too early to say if it’s the pills causing it.

• Informative
Reactions: theresaxx and MrsA2

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I thought I wasn't on the placebo but now at the end of first box of proper trial tablets. Now all symptoms gone and not losing weight.