Anyone on the Ascend Plus trial?

jmj444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree there is a distinctive taste to the tablet. I am 2 weeks into the randomisation and I still have this taste, my appetite has not returned and still have acid reflux so I think I am on the real thing.

Reactions: Lilak and theresaxx

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
This is a really interesting thread. I’ve just received the letter and was very dubious and was going to speak to my DN about this and whether it was genuine. But after reading comments I will go ahead with it. I’m 71 and my weight has crept up over the last year due to illness and lack of exercise. My fasting bg is usually between 5 and 8 but by the evening it can be between 8 and 15 and that’s a big concern for me. So I hope that this could help me and hopefully reduce the insulin and other diabetic meds I need.

Reactions: theresaxx

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Randomised tablets arrived today instructions say to start tomorrow. I still have 14 days of run in tablets left! Seems a waste but I will follow instructions and start randomisation tomorrow.
I hope I am not on placebo as I have had excellent blood glucose levels on the run in tablets and 0 side effects. Only lost couple lbs which is good as I am not overweight.

Reactions: Lilak and filly

Lilak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 weeks into the Randomised tablets.
I think I am on Semaglutide, not the placebo.
Lost another 1kg in weight.
Appetite is still suppressed.
An hour after taking the tablet, can't face a morning cuppa or toast (feelings of nausea) so it isn't until late morning or early afternoon before I have a snack.
I will see what my BG levels are in a few months, when I request a blood test, and if still dropping will seek a medication review to reduce my Metformin dosage and/or stop the sitagliptin.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
2 weeks into the Randomised tablets.
I think I am on Semaglutide, not the placebo.
Lost another 1kg in weight.
Appetite is still suppressed.
An hour after taking the tablet, can't face a morning cuppa or toast (feelings of nausea) so it isn't until late morning or early afternoon before I have a snack.
I will see what my BG levels are in a few months, when I request a blood test, and if still dropping will seek a medication review to reduce my Metformin dosage and/or stop the sitagliptin.
Do they keep on changing the meds so sometimes you get the semiglutide and other times the placebo or are you kept on the same throughout the trial. I did read that the trial could last for 5 years

Lilak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do they keep on changing the meds so sometimes you get the semiglutide and other times the placebo or are you kept on the same throughout the trial. I did read that the trial could last for 5 years
I believe once you start on the randomised tablets, you will stay on whatever you were given (either Semaglutide or the placebo) as otherwise they cannot measure the outcome of the trial.
And yes, the trial is for 5 years, but you can opt out whenever you wish, or if your prescription medications are changed by your GP to those that are listed in the leaflet.

Reactions: filly

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
It seems strange. The last bottle I took didn't seem to do anything. Yet the bottle this month bloods dropped more and have lost a little more.

Reactions: Lilak

Lilak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems strange. The last bottle I took didn't seem to do anything. Yet the bottle this month bloods dropped more and have lost a little more.
Are these the randomisation tablets?
If so, I think you may be on the Semaglutide and not the placebo, and your body may just be settling into the medication.
I have had a quick look at the trial documentation, and it confirms that once you start the randomisation stage, you will remain in the same (Semaglutide or placebo) for the rest of the trial.
I attach a copy of the PIL, paragraph 3 on page 13 is where I got the information from (web link for the downladable document is https://www.ascend-plus-trial.org/files/ascend-plus-pil_full-a4_v-1-3_rgb-for-web.pdf)
Hope that helps, your results look promising.

Attachments

• ASCEND PLUS PIL_FULL-A4_v.1.3_RGB for WEB.pdf
    554.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Are these the randomisation tablets?
If so, I think you may be on the Semaglutide and not the placebo, and your body may just be settling into the medication.
I have had a quick look at the trial documentation, and it confirms that once you start the randomisation stage, you will remain in the same (Semaglutide or placebo) for the rest of the trial.
I attach a copy of the PIL, paragraph 3 on page 13 is where I got the information from (web link for the downladable document is https://www.ascend-plus-trial.org/files/ascend-plus-pil_full-a4_v-1-3_rgb-for-web.pdf)
Hope that helps, your results look promising.
Yes they are. Nearly at the end of the first box....

Reactions: Lilak

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well into 1st bottle randomised tablets, no bitter taste blood glucose levels creeping up slowly but I am stressed as my mum has had a stroke and I did have a couple of days eating things I shouldn’t (son’s 30th)
I think I am on placebo but hoping that the above reasons are causing the increase sugar levels.
Hope everyone is doing well

Tadpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not having puddings
I have just finished my first bottle of the 7mg run in tablets, and for the past week i have had the most horrible 'washing machine' stomach.
Nothing in the previous 7 weeks, no nausea, no constipation, nothing then bam.....
I start the second bottle of 7mg tomorrow, and I'm not looking forward to it,
I am constantly leaving food on my evening meal, never known before, my wife was wondering what was wrong the first few times. No more afternoon snacks, I've lost 14 lbs since the start, and feel a whole load better in myself, apart from this last week. My sugars are more under control, especially in the morning.
I can see the benefits for myself, and want to continue, but the pain for a whole week and ongoing is testing.

I've just got to man up :)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well into 1st bottle randomised tablets, no bitter taste blood glucose levels creeping up slowly but I am stressed as my mum has had a stroke and I did have a couple of days eating things I shouldn’t (son’s 30th)
I think I am on placebo but hoping that the above reasons are causing the increase sugar levels.
Hope everyone is doing well
I''m sorry your mum's had a stroke @theresaxx . I hope it's a mild one, and she recovers well. Take care of yourself. Sending virtual hugs xx

Rosemary A

I have completed my run in and just started my second bottle of 14mg. No side effects until the first tablet of the second bottle, of course it could be coincidence but queasy, and vomited once plus awful tummy pains. I will persevere and go get some ginger tea. I do think it's coincidence as I have experienced no problems till now, so much so I thought I was on a placebo. Weight loss but probably as I joined slimming world.