Type 2 Anyone on this forum that has reversed/controlled their diabetes without going very low carb?

Is low carb the only way?

• Yes

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello! I’m a newbie here and have spent about two months just reading everyones inspirational stories and adapting it to my life. I have reduced my carb intake and upped my physical activity. I have a lot of weight to loose at least 40kg. I found that 90% of the success stories on here are based on very low carb like less than 50g a day. For me, that is just not feasible, it will affect my quality of life. I don’t have a sweet tooth, I can cut out all desert, chocs and sugary drinks. But bread and rice are a staple in my diet, I can’t see a life without it. (I like to be realistic) well my main question here is, is there any chance of me reversing or controlling my disease with these “little” changes I’m making e.g. staying under 100–150g of carbs daily?
Is there anyone that has done it?

I feel the same as you! I’ve cut out lots of things I used to have and do, I cut out drinking the odd pint of Cider and swapped it for Gin & Slimline Tonic. Stopped the twice weekly takeaways but have a Chinese once a month, swapped from
White to Super Seeded Bread, have rice once a month when I make a homemade curry (it’s still sends me high but so what!) have pasta once a fortnight as love Spag Bol, switched to dark chocolate instead of milk and only have a few squares, I try to have a fasting day once a fortnight or as often as I can. I have oven chips instead of chippy chips and I still have a roast every week. I test my BS and things that send me high I cut out or limit. I’ve managed to control it without drugs and I take cinnamon tablets and bitter melon pills from the health shop as it naturally lowers bloods. I did get down to 42 but once I gave up smoking it rose up bit back under control now and I’m pre-diabetic levels. Life’s too short to cut out everything! A little of what you like surely can’t hurt too much.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you have rice, are you monitoring you blood glucose level for a prolonged period afterwards?

I think it was only yesterday that we had a type 1 thread where the OP discovered that rice gave a dramatic increase several (6+) hours after eating (sorry, can’t find the thread. Rice gets mentioned on this site 100s of times a day ! :) )

Just suggesting that you might want to monitor your bg for 6-8 hours and see what happens, just to check.
1 wear a libre freestyle so I can see what it does to me 24 / 7.
i definitely run higher with nore carbs but my hba1c is still around 5 3% . The trick for me us - eat the rice towards the end if the meal and make sure big gaps eg only once per day to allow. bloood sugars to get into the 4,s between meald