anyone reversed type two

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im looking to speak to anyone that has reversed their type two diabetes by diet and excersise only

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends what you mean by reversed - I eat a low carb diet and have normal BG levels.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done that, I can now eat the carbs I used to eat .. before I went high carb on the advice of my Dr .. then was told I was T2 !!!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes
A low fat diet, followed by the Newcastle Diet worked for me.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a low carb diet and have normal blood sugars as well.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat low carb/high fat, am not on any medication and my BG is in the normal range, I have tried the odd cake and sausage roll and my levels have not spiked but I still keep to the diet because I don't want to risk slipping back into my old ways.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I started with an A1c of 9.9% and by following the low carb lifestyle was able to reduce my A1c to 5.6%, then 5.4% in the first 9 months or so, which is in the non-diabetic range. At the beginning of my second year, my fasting glucose was 125 mg/dl (6.9 mmol/l). By the beginning of my third year, my fasting glucose is now 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/l).

I still have severe insulin resistance. If I eat an "off plan" food that is higher in carbs, I can easily have a glucose level of 200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/l), but I can also knock it back down to normal levels with a 20 minute walk. :)

My diabetes journey began 35 years ago with hypoglycemia, then gestational diabetes, then pre-diabetes, then type 2 diabetes beginning 12 years ago, so I anticipate continued improvement over the next few years. I am still 40 pounds heavier than my lean body weight, so if I lose that weight, more may be possible.

The good news is that I continue to enjoy gradual improvements.

I also take nutritional supplements to insure that my body has everything it needs as it continues to heal. Vitamins D3 and K2, and the minerals zinc and magnesium have been particularly important for me. Adding selenium brought my heart rate down from 100 beats per minute to 70 - 80, which has been huge for me because I also have a condition called subclinical hyperthyroid. I take other supplements too, and I eat lots of leafy greens and/or vegetables at every meal in addition to healthy sources of protein and fat, both from animals and plants. :)

You've come to the right place if you're looking for guidance and support in putting your diabetes in remission. Go for it! :)

Oops, forgot to add, I chose not to take medications or inject insulin because I know I wouldn't have worked as hard to get my glucose levels down if I took them. That's just me. We have to each do what works best for us.

Last edited:

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean by reversed?

I was diagnosed T2 last year with an HBA1C of 97. I refused to take medication but instead I started a LCHF way of eating combined with increased exercise. My most recent H bA1c was 37, so technically non-diabetic.

However, my diabetes is under control rather than reversed. If I increase my Carb intake, my sugar levels rise to diabetic range. I therefore have to be careful with my diet all the time. To me that's worth it in order to avoid the horrible complications of poorly controlled diabetes.

Reactions: No2D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im looking to speak to anyone that has reversed their type two diabetes by diet and excersise only

I agree with @TooManyCrisps that we really need to know what you consider 'reversed' because there are a lot of different possible interpretations of the word.

Also, I am guessing that you aren't including anyone who is taking metformin in your question, since that is the most widely prescribed medication for type 2 diabetics?

I manage my blood glucose by diet and exercise only, and have normal blood glucose levels 98% of the time. The other 2% is when I let my hair down and have some extra carbs.
But I don't consider myself reversed. I consider myself well controlled.

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @TooManyCrisps that we really need to know what you consider 'reversed' because there are a lot of different possible interpretations of the word.

Also, I am guessing that you aren't including anyone who is taking metformin in your question, since that is the most widely prescribed medication for type 2 diabetics?

I manage my blood glucose by diet and exercise only, and have normal blood glucose levels 98% of the time. The other 2% is when I let my hair down and have some extra carbs.
Ditto and likewise :D

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the term "reversed" isn't particularly helpful as it could mean a number of things.

I reduced my HbA1c into the non diabetic range within 3 months of diagnosis and maintained it there for coming up to 2 years by diet and exercise, and most importantly IMHO by rapid and significant weight loss.

There are many ways of achieving this and no one size fits all for a huge variety of reasons.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Another ditto and likewise. :)