Anyone with experience of coming off diabetes meds?

Dustyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi - Does anyone know if it is possible to come off diabetes meds (Type 2) after 10 years by following a strict diet and exercise routine?

Reactions: Omar51

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came off maximum dose Gliclizide after 10 years, I was diagnosed in 2009 and I slowly with the support & agreement with my GP began to reduce my carbs along with the Gliclizide until in 2019 I went to keto of less than 20g carb a day and it’s been that way ever since, just a small dose of Metformin now, I have no problems with being on metformin and it’s purported to have other benefits such as heart protection so I’m fine to keep taking that. I never exercised but I’m very strict on my carb intake.

My last HbA1c was 49, the rest of my latest results are in my signature if you scroll down to the very bottom.

Please don’t do it without the support of your Dr or HCP, especially if you are on hypo inducing meds.

It would be helpful to tell forum members what meds you are on as your profile at the side says diet only but you are asking if it’s possible to come off meds - it just can be a bit confusing:) also what kind of things you eat at the moment, do you already low carb etc

TheSecretCarbAddict

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dustyone - check out my recent update: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-low-carb-journey-week-10-reflections.203806/ I'm on reducing meds journey after 15 years of pretty much uncontrolled T2DM, but as @lovinglife said, work with your medical professional as you go on this journey.

One additional, more recent observation, is that once you come off medications you are working with a very fine balance of nutrition, exercise, sleep, etc and even the slightest change can throw you off balance. All this week my BG levels have been higher than I like and it is taking a while to stabilise.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening @Dustyone and welcome to the forum.

The short answer is yes. With the help of your doctor, it's possible to wean yourself off anti-diabetic medicine(s) or at least reduce the dose, provided that you are prepared to adjust your daily carbohydrate intake as necessary.

Do you have a glucometer and test strips?

Once again, welcome.

Reactions: TheSecretCarbAddict

Dustyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came off maximum dose Gliclizide after 10 years, I was diagnosed in 2009 and I slowly with the support & agreement with my GP began to reduce my carbs along with the Gliclizide until in 2019 I went to keto of less than 20g carb a day and it’s been that way ever since, just a small dose of Metformin now, I have no problems with being on metformin and it’s purported to have other benefits such as heart protection so I’m fine to keep taking that. I never exercised but I’m very strict on my carb intake.

My last HbA1c was 49, the rest of my latest results are in my signature if you scroll down to the very bottom.

Please don’t do it without the support of your Dr or HCP, especially if you are on hypo inducing meds.

It would be helpful to tell forum members what meds you are on as your profile at the side says diet only but you are asking if it’s possible to come off meds - it just can be a bit confusing:) also what kind of things you eat at the moment, do you already low carb etc
Thank you for the response @lovinglife. I am on meds and will update my profile. Just new to the forum and still finding my way around. I am currently on metformin and atrovastatin and felodipine for cholesterol and high BP. Recently (three months ago), my doctor added ramipril and dapagliflozin

Dustyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the response @lovinglife. I am on meds and will update my profile. Just new to the forum and still finding my way around. I am currently on metformin and atrovastatin and felodipine for cholesterol and high BP. Recently (three months ago), my doctor added ramipril and dapagliflozin
Help! I can't seem to figure out how to update my profile.

Dustyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening @Dustyone and welcome to the forum.

The short answer is yes. With the help of your doctor, it's possible to wean yourself off anti-diabetic medicine(s) or at least reduce the dose, provided that you are prepared to adjust your daily carbohydrate intake as necessary.

Do you have a glucometer and test strips?

Once again, welcome.
Thank you @LivingLightly. I have a glucometer but find that the test strips expire too quickly so I have no test strips presently

Reactions: LivingLightly

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came off metformin after reducing my blood glucose with diet. It made very little difference to my readings - I phased it out slowly - but it was good to be free of its side effects (not everybody gets side effects). It's worth you checking the information sheets for your other meds to see if any of them raise blood glucose, in which case a discussion with your GP or diabetic nurse may be useful.

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @LivingLightly. I have a glucometer but find that the test strips expire too quickly so I have no test strips presently
Morning @Dustyone

Where did you purchase the test strips? The pharmacy that dispenses your repeat prescriptions can supply replacements. (As a guide, my current vial expires on 31 October 2025).

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Statins
I used to have that problem with my Accu Chek Mobile glucose monitor as the cassette expires 90 days after you first use it. I now use a Contour Next glucose monitor. The strips I have don’t expire until July 2025, so I don’t think I will have a problem with expired strips. It also has a nice App to see your glucose readings. See https://www.diabetes.ascensia.co.uk/products/contour-next-mmol-new/

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Help! I can't seem to figure out how to update my profile.
Hi @Dustyone

Click on your name in the top right hand corner, you will get a drop down menu, click on account details and you will get another drop-down box, scroll down until you see the boxes type of diabetes and then below that treatment type, click in treatment type and you can change it to the one that applies to you.

It’s up to you If you want to add your medications in the medication box then just type them in

It sounds a bit long winded but once you’ve clicked on account details it should be self explanatory

Just give me another shout if you get stuck :)

• Useful
Reactions: Antje77

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - Does anyone know if it is possible to come off diabetes meds (Type 2) after 10 years by following a strict diet and exercise routine?

About 14 years ago my PCP put me on Glipizide. I was borderline pre diabetic. Luckily I was seeing a good Nephrologist, and he insisted that I don’t need Glipizide. My PCP insisted that I do need Glipizide. For a year and half it was a battle between PCP and my Nephrologist.
I was living on BG meter testing and logging everything I eat. I was convinced all along that I don’t need Glipizide. Finally I decided to stop taking Glipizide. This was probably the best decision I made. Since then I haven't taken any medication. Indeed I am still pre and always will be pre diabetic. Obviously one shoe doesn’t fit all, and I can only talk about myself.