Appointment this afternoon

Yorkietoo

Hi everyone,
I feel I'm here on false pretences as I haven't yet been diagnosed with diabetes. Following a course of antibiotics for a suspected UTI I then started having some unusual symptoms - dry mouth, tingling in hands and feet and going to the loo more than is usual for me. The test results for UTI came back clear so as I said I'm having bloods done later today.
I've been worrying and crying a lot over the last few days since I suspected it might be diabetes but finding this site has helped me decide that whatever the result I'm not alone and I've been encouraged by all of your positive and enlightening stories.
I'm a full time carer for my 89 year old mum, who has type 2 diabetes, along with Heart Failure and Kidney Failure so I've seen first hand what this disease and high blood pressure can do if not managed properly. That said she's a tough old cookie and I think she will make 90 bless her!
Anyway sorry for the essay. Obviously I'm hoping for positive results but whatever happens I will definitely keep in touch.
Love best wishes to you all

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Yorkietoo :)

It's better to know and be aware if there is a diagnosis, it's living and not knowing which can be painful mentally and physically.

Good luck this afternoon and please let us know how you get on :)

Yorkietoo

Thanks JuicyJ you're quite right the not knowing is pretty stressful. I'll definitely let you know the outcome but I expect I'll have to wait a while for the results if past experience is anything to go by. I've already started on my LCHF regime - I like to be ahead of the game and start as I mean to go on.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hope you are feeling a little more able to cope now?

My own mother was a lesson in what not to do as a type 2, although not the worst I've had to deal with. She carried on eating sugary foods, and although her GPs upped the drugs a few times her blood sugar was rarely under control plus she suffered badly from the side effects of metformin. Poor eyesight, neuropathy, double incontinence from nerve damage (and metformin), ...

I chose not to try metformin - it suits some but my family didn't do well on it and failing to reduce carb intake tends to lead to more and more drugs over time - so I went low carb instead.
Even though I am a chocoholic I've managed to stay low carb for a year and a half so far with only a few small blips. It is doable if you think about your triggers, favourite foods etc and find good quality replacements/alternatives.
Apart from dropping potatoes, rice and ordinary bread I switched to 85% chocolate, plus cocoa at bedtime made with coconut milk & double cream with water instead of milk. I preplan for stressful days with a few low carb treats in the freezer, 'allowing' myself an extra 15g of carbs rather than just eating the extra and giving up.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks JuicyJ you're quite right the not knowing is pretty stressful. I'll definitely let you know the outcome but I expect I'll have to wait a while for the results if past experience is anything to go by. I've already started on my LCHF regime - I like to be ahead of the game and start as I mean to go on.
Good luck with those results. Whatever happens LCHF is a pretty healthy way to eat. You are right up front with the consequences of having high blood sugars over a long time but do balance this fear against the improvements in knowledge and treatment of type 2 that we now have.

Yorkietoo

Thanks for all your replies they really help. 85% chocolate sounds right up my chocoholic street. Potatoes are probably the thing I'll miss most but I'll be looking for inspiration on here for some tasty alternatives. The profile pic is my best friend Jack who we lost back in Octiber. We're about to lookout for a new doggy friend to share long walks with.

Reactions: Lotties

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As it’s an afternoon blood appointment you probably weren’t told to fast. Any cholesterol readings WILL be effected by this no matter what they say. Hb1ac will be fine though. If there’s any cholesterol issues with the results ask for repeat full panel fasting for 12 hrs before taking any action.
Ask whilst there about online access where you will be able to see test results. Mine sometimes come through in a day or two, depends how quickly dr signs them off and admin load them up.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Potatoes are probably the thing I'll miss most but I'll be looking for inspiration on here for some tasty alternatives.
More meat and veg
Roasted turnips or radish
Mashed cauliflower (with cheese?)

Yorkietoo

Hello
Finally got my blood results back today and I'm prediabetic. Hb1Acwas 42 so I'm at the low end. Cholesterol was 7.2 but the good stuff was 1.9. I'm positive with the help of this site and all you fine folks on the forum I can whip this old body back into shape. I'm 5.3 and 9st 8lbs so can lose a bit of weight but will be concentrating on exercise and of course sticking to a low carb high fat diet. I've already lost 4lbs last week having already started.
Doc says part of the problem could be the stress I've had this last 2 years - lost my dad and became full time carer for my mum. Bad habits crept in and finding time for me almost impossible.
I'm having two squares of 80% dark choccie tonight - my treat!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Finally got my blood results back today and I'm prediabetic. Hb1Acwas 42 so I'm at the low end. Cholesterol was 7.2 but the good stuff was 1.9. I'm positive with the help of this site and all you fine folks on the forum I can whip this old body back into shape. I'm 5.3 and 9st 8lbs so can lose a bit of weight but will be concentrating on exercise and of course sticking to a low carb high fat diet. I've already lost 4lbs last week having already started.
Doc says part of the problem could be the stress I've had this last 2 years - lost my dad and became full time carer for my mum. Bad habits crept in and finding time for me almost impossible.
I'm having two squares of 80% dark choccie tonight - my treat!!
Sounds to me like you're going to be okay. You'll get this under control in no time at all.
*hugs*
Jo

Reactions: Lotties

Yorkietoo

Thanks Jo I'm hoping so. Finding this site and all the positive people on it has given me the confidence to get on top of this thing. My family didn't believe there was a problem before my results and still think I can carry on as normal but just "cut down a bit". And that's the danger I think with just being in the prediabetic zone it would be so easy to think I Just tweak my diet and lifestyle and be safe. Maybe that's true but I'm taking no chances. I'm 66 and want to have a healthy, happy retirement.I'll heed all of the great advice given on here and hopefully I can keep myself well. Good luck to everyone of you out there -stay healthy and enjoy life xx