Approaching end of Newcastle diet

Deano72

So, I’ve completed the Newcastle diet. Lost over 4 stone in weight since diagnosis in December (3 on the diet). Blood sugar readings have been very good for several weeks, around 4.5 fasting & 5.5-6 2 hours after my last shake/veg portion. I’m feeling good, although weakened through muscle depletion.
Plan now is a few days replacing 1 shake with a meal, then replace 2 shakes. May stick with the breakfast shake as I’m not a big breakfast eater & I quite like them. Going to take it easy with carbs, particularly in the early days & test before & after each meal to see how things look.
So today I went to a restaurant & had a chicken, bacon & avocado salad. The salad was dressed with French dressing & a small piece of flatbread was included. It was delicious!
Fasting BG today was 4 (lowest ever). Didn’t test immediately before eating because it was a unplanned thing & I didn’t have the kit with me.
6.4 at 2 hours & 6 at 3 hours. Don’t really know if this is good or bad (but boy, did I enjoy the food!) Seem to remember reading somewhere that the first couple of times you eat protein after the ND it can push BG up a bit, similar to carbs. Can anyone comment on this? Anyway, jut need to see how it goes & get sore fingers from lots of testing!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ask yourself how much the flatbread is worth to you, as the rest of the meal is low carb if you cook it at home. It is possible that the French dressing contained suger, sometimes they do, but work out the suger per surving as it may be low enough for you not to care.

Expect to gain some weight, as when you stop losing weight fast, your body will hold onto a little more water. Plan your food so you remain in control. A short work after a meal can stop BG increasing as much.

Reactions: 1spuds

Deano72

Ask yourself how much the flatbread is worth to you, as the rest of the meal is low carb if you cook it at home. It is possible that the French dressing contained suger, sometimes they do, but work out the suger per surving as it may be low enough for you not to care.

Expect to gain some weight, as when you stop losing weight fast, your body will hold onto a little more water. Plan your food so you remain in control. A short work after a meal can stop BG increasing as much.
Suppose it’s always gonna be difficult in restaurants. Probably shouldn’t have had the flatbread & I walked 4 miles after lunch. Which I guess says this isn’t a great result. Early days...

Reactions: 1spuds

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Suppose it’s always gonna be difficult in restaurants. Probably shouldn’t have had the flatbread & I walked 4 miles after lunch. Which I guess says this isn’t a great result. Early days...

It is a great result, and I do sometimes eat bread in restaurants, but I don't eat bread at home and it is only a few times a year when we go to restaurants with good enough home made bread for me to consider the bread to be worthwhile.

Most restaurants will let you swap chips/bread/rice etc for additional salad or green veg.

What you need is a set of "rules" that you decide on for yourself that defines what you will eat/drink over the next few months. One they are totally part of your life, you can decide when you consider it is worth breaking them.

Deano72

Morning all. Only at day 4 of transition back to food. Going okay, essentially 2 shakes & a big bowl of salad with walnuts, avocado & salmon or chicken per day right now. Bit of cheese as a snack later in the evening (think I’m missing the mid evening shake!). Blood results throughout the day looking good. Low 4’s before I eat. 5 - 5.5 at 1 hour & 2 hours. Mid 4’s at bedtime. I am however noticing a slight increase in what I’m used to seeing in the morning. Fasting result is sitting between 5 & 5.5. This has been in the 4’s for weeks. Anyone else had a similar experience following ND? Is it just the result of putting my body through change? Can cheese be bad? Not overly concerned right now. It’s early days, just strange to see the highest BG of the day first thing in the morning. Especially as I’ve not previously suffered with the dawn phenomenon. Thanks guys..

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The fasting BG looks great to me. Unto 7 does not count as having diabetes.

The liver will now have some glycogen as you are no longer totally starving your body, hence your liver is releasing a little BG to get you going in the day, before it runs out of glycogen.

My BG sets at about 5.5 most of the time and my last A1c was 37.

Deano72

The fasting BG looks great to me. Unto 7 does not count as having diabetes.

The liver will now have some glycogen as you are no longer totally starving your body, hence your liver is releasing a little BG to get you going in the day, before it runs out of glycogen.

My BG sets at about 5.5 most of the time and my last A1c was 37.
That was my thought/hope. Always nice to reinforce a theory though! Thanks..

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Only at day 4 of transition back to food. Going okay, essentially 2 shakes & a big bowl of salad with walnuts, avocado & salmon or chicken per day right now. Bit of cheese as a snack later in the evening (think I’m missing the mid evening shake!). Blood results throughout the day looking good. Low 4’s before I eat. 5 - 5.5 at 1 hour & 2 hours. Mid 4’s at bedtime. I am however noticing a slight increase in what I’m used to seeing in the morning. Fasting result is sitting between 5 & 5.5. This has been in the 4’s for weeks. Anyone else had a similar experience following ND? Is it just the result of putting my body through change? Can cheese be bad? Not overly concerned right now. It’s early days, just strange to see the highest BG of the day first thing in the morning. Especially as I’ve not previously suffered with the dawn phenomenon. Thanks guys..
well done... me ... i followed mike moseleys blood 8 week blood sugar diet but solid food not shakes ...now ten months after dropping weight and b.s ..i just look at eating in a completley different way ..no intention in going back to the old ways...weve done that . we know what happened there !.. go forwards with what youve oviously learnt !..

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug_NL and Deano72

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The "mike moseleys blood 8 week blood sugar diet" has the nice benefit that it teaches people how to cook moderate low carb food as part of the 8 weeks, hence removing some of the issues of deciding what to eat.

Reactions: Doug_NL

Kalaipillay

It is a great result, and I do sometimes eat bread in restaurants, but I don't eat bread at home and it is only a few times a year when we go to restaurants with good enough home made bread for me to consider the bread to be worthwhile.

Most restaurants will let you swap chips/bread/rice etc for additional salad or green veg.

What you need is a set of "rules" that you decide on for yourself that defines what you will eat/drink over the next few months. One they are totally part of your life, you can decide when you consider it is worth breaking them.
I'd like to ask a question I've been on ND for about 3 weeks now, but had a couple slips weak moments.. Had a chop on Saturday
But I'm noticing since I started ND, while my BF dropped significantly from 15 to 7 or 8. It's still quite in comparison to what I'm reading others are saying on here. I've lost about 4 kg in the last 3 weeks So I'm getting worried about my BG

Kalaipillay

I'm finding the semi-skimmed milk instead of skimmed enough fat in the 800cals. I leave a little in bottom of my shaker to offset cals.
On occasion I'm having weak bovil in veg stir fry. Or other seasonings have high salt so I'm well covered. Although Doc's want me on low salt so I can reduce my blood pressure tablets. Their theory not mine.
I had low pressure after endoscopy so it's noted if no food my blood pressure is lower. As my body/metabolism isn't asked to jump into action.
I've started adding coconut oil to my stir fry and cauli mash
I'm getting weird cramps lower left side of my tummy. Not sure what that is

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd like to ask a question I've been on ND for about 3 weeks now, but had a couple slips weak moments.. Had a chop on Saturday
But I'm noticing since I started ND, while my BF dropped significantly from 15 to 7 or 8. It's still quite in comparison to what I'm reading others are saying on here. I've lost about 4 kg in the last 3 weeks So I'm getting worried about my BG

From what I can tell the NHS protocol that is being rolled out nationwide for the Newcastle diet does not have any measurements of BG in the 8/12 weeks of shakes unless someone gets symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes. Few people get clear symptoms below about 10.

Hence unless someone is still taking inslin (or other drugs with risk of hypos) it may be best for people not to measure BG until the food introduction phase.

Reactions: Kalaipillay

Kalaipillay

From what I can tell the NHS protocol that is being rolled out nationwide for the Newcastle diet does not have any measurements of BG in the 8/12 weeks of shakes unless someone gets symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes. Few people get clear symptoms below about 10.

Hence unless someone is still taking inslin (or other drugs with risk of hypos) it may be best for people not to measure BG until the food introduction phase.
OK perfect thank you so much I was advises by my dr to phase out the Glucophage after week 1 which I did so for the last 2 weeks I'm not on any meds
I was just concerned that mine is still high compared to what I'm reading on this forum. My fasting one is about 5,5 on average though. But the aftermeal one is staying on 7-8

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that fasting BG is the often the first to improve with the Newcastle diet, and post meal BG improve first with lowcarb.

Deano72

Thought I’d drop in with a progress update (would’ve done it sooner but I’ve had problems logging in)...
So, about 6 weeks since I finished ND. Yet to have a hba1c test done. Doc thought it seemed sensible to wait 3 months from end of diet (he knows I self test a lot) however, pretty happy with how things are going. First, I’m still losing weight, which I’m pleased about. About a stone off since end of diet (over 5 stone in total). I eat a lot less than I used to, but (most of the time) want a lot less. Also doing a lot of walking, averaging around 7 miles a day & about to introduce some gym time (muscle tone took a battering on ND). Trying to stay south of 2000 calories a day & have the occasional shake day to balance out any excessive days. Experimenting a fair bit with food & drink. Most of the time keeping carbs between 50 & 100 grams a day & virtually all complex & spread fairly even across meals. I try not to snack, but if I do it’s cheese or walnuts. Mostly following LCHF principals however, I’ve had the occasional carby day & seem to be okay.
Bought some clever scales for the bathroom which give a wealth of info to a phone app. This purchase & the food app I’ve got are the best investments ever. Really helpful to stay on top of things.
Post meal BG is fairly stable. Usually around 7 after an hour & in the 6’s after 2 hours. Sometimes a little lower.
Fasting BG fluctuates more. Mostly between mid 4’s & mid 5’s, occasionally a little higher (never as high as 6 though).
Can’t honestly say I’m seeing any patterns driven by particular foods, except fasting BG is higher if I’ve had alcohol the previous night.
Still early days, but feeling positive about things...
Oh & I’m not taking any meds since stopping Metformin in January.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I’d drop in with a progress update (would’ve done it sooner but I’ve had problems logging in)...
So, about 6 weeks since I finished ND. Yet to have a hba1c test done. Doc thought it seemed sensible to wait 3 months from end of diet (he knows I self test a lot) however, pretty happy with how things are going. First, I’m still losing weight, which I’m pleased about. About a stone off since end of diet (over 5 stone in total). I eat a lot less than I used to, but (most of the time) want a lot less. Also doing a lot of walking, averaging around 7 miles a day & about to introduce some gym time (muscle tone took a battering on ND). Trying to stay south of 2000 calories a day & have the occasional shake day to balance out any excessive days. Experimenting a fair bit with food & drink. Most of the time keeping carbs between 50 & 100 grams a day & virtually all complex & spread fairly even across meals. I try not to snack, but if I do it’s cheese or walnuts. Mostly following LCHF principals however, I’ve had the occasional carby day & seem to be okay.
Bought some clever scales for the bathroom which give a wealth of info to a phone app. This purchase & the food app I’ve got are the best investments ever. Really helpful to stay on top of things.
Post meal BG is fairly stable. Usually around 7 after an hour & in the 6’s after 2 hours. Sometimes a little lower.
Fasting BG fluctuates more. Mostly between mid 4’s & mid 5’s, occasionally a little higher (never as high as 6 though).
Can’t honestly say I’m seeing any patterns driven by particular foods, except fasting BG is higher if I’ve had alcohol the previous night.
well done @Deano72 hard work but start of a new life for you.......

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
good work

Reactions: Deano72

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for letting us know, @Deano72 . Keep us in the loop, as it's sometimes this bit that gets tricky, but it sounds like you're keeping your finger well and truly on the pulse.

Deano72

Thanks for letting us know, @Deano72 . Keep us in the loop, as it's sometimes this bit that gets tricky, but it sounds like you're keeping your finger well and truly on the pulse.

Well, it’s all gone a bit wrong...
Life has been getting in the way of exercise a bit lately & some of my food choices haven’t been the best. Seen a mixed bag of BG results over the past week or so. Occasionally a nice number as I’ve been used to all year, but mainly 6’s & 7’s. Even had the occasional 8...
I’m guessing that having a couple of pretty high carb days last weekend has spiked me, but it doesn’t want to seem to go back down. Even after going really low carb & high fat for a few days.
What experience is there out there with regard to carb driven BG spikes & how long the hangover from them lasts?
Also thinking about “hitting reset” again, with a couple of weeks back on ND. Anyone had any experience of returning to that? Did it help?
Thanks...