Are brief high sugar spikes OK?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean. I have been sticking to lchf eating, and doing loads of exercise, but my am readings are always high and my 2 hour post meal ones are usually 8s and sometimes 9s. I've had a reading under 6 about 5 times.

Howver, my hba1c was 97 on diagnosis 3 months ago, and then was retested this week and is 49. So clearly the diet is working. I just tell myself that I'm doing the best i can, and try not to worry when people are panicking about readings over 7.

Well done on your weight loss

This is why you should never compare yourself with others.

You have only been Low carbing a short time.
Rome doesn't get built in a day.
In 3 or 6 months, your experience will be totally different.

Hi
I know what you mean. I have been sticking to lchf eating, and doing loads of exercise, but my am readings are always high and my 2 hour post meal ones are usually 8s and sometimes 9s. I've had a reading under 6 about 5 times.

Howver, my hba1c was 97 on diagnosis 3 months ago, and then was retested this week and is 49. So clearly the diet is working. I just tell myself that I'm doing the best i can, and try not to worry when people are panicking about readings over 7.

Well done on your weight loss
That's an amazing drop in you Hba1c, well done! Mine has gone from 70 to 55, so that part is coming down, but I totally identify with the numbers you are getting. I've found if I go swimming or walking my numbers go up not down lol. My liver is obviously quick to dump glucose for any readon. Are you purely diet controlled too?

This is why you should never compare yourself with others.

You have only been Low carbing a short time.
Rome doesn't get built in a day.
In 3 or 6 months, your experience will be totally different.

Thanks for the support. I feel a lot better today. I just had a wobble yesterday and got all girly about it all :) People here are so kind, I'm so glad I found the group

Reactions: 4 people

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Thats exactly what I meant. No BF and I always go up. Exercise as well.

I like to be in the 4's but that is also where I feel best. I eat the meals that work with my bs AND with my stomach. I have lots of intolerances ( carbs being the big one ) and can only eat small meals. Starches, grains, sugar and fruit have been out of my diet for a long time, well before I was diabetic because I don't digest them. I don't miss them at all. Well maybe fruit but occasionally infill have a few berries if they're around somewhere but I don't buy them.
My goal isn't as much as low bs but rather low insulin. Insulin and I are like oil and water. I am very sensitive to it as well as the feeling fluctuations so steady is the name of my game. I really don't feel like I'm missing out on life without carbs. They make me tired achy crabby etc. no need for them. I love my veggies, proteins avocado and nuts. Sounds like a simple menu but works for me. As I have said in other posts, fixing the spikes is not worth the food in most cases. There are other treats I would rather have like new sandals or a handbag. That makes me happier than a piece of cake as silly as that may sound.
I love your attitude. New shoes or a new handbag. Sounds just like someone I know.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks mike p. It suits me lol

As for the rest, keep in mind exercise CAN raise bs. Sometimes slow to moderate is better.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

That's an amazing drop in you Hba1c, well done! Mine has gone from 70 to 55, so that part is coming down, but I totally identify with the numbers you are getting. I've found if I go swimming or walking my numbers go up not down lol. My liver is obviously quick to dump glucose for any readon. Are you purely diet controlled too?
Hi, yes just diet and exercise. But exercise often pushes my blood sugar up. I still don't feel in control of it, as sometimes my bs rises a lot after a particular meal and sometimes doesn't. It's a work in progress!

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Thanks mike p. It suits me lol

As for the rest, keep in mind exercise CAN raise bs. Sometimes slow to moderate is better.

Yes the view I take is to to becofme too dependant on physical activity as the principle means of BG control, if for some reason one suddenly becomes unable to keep up an exercise routine it could lead to loss of BG control. The best fit answer has got a combination of diet and activity without going to extremes.

Reactions: 2 people

Britmale

For me testing is something I do very rarely as its too expensive and no longer available to me on the NHS. I am careful what I eat but life without my toast would be awful. I have what I can afford better than some but not asx great as when I was working. A level of 4 is very unrealistic for most people, and everyone e is different most books are pointless from this point. I find there is over information out there that is constantly changing and the big organisation and the NHS are the greatest offenders. None of us really know where we are going

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm coming to the conclusion that I now feel ill with sugar spikes, brief or not, and would prefer to avoid them if I can.

Yesterday was a day I had a lunch situation I hadn't expected, and the menu was not friendly to me! So, I risked a sandwich. Just a two slices of bread sandwich. I felt ill for the rest of the day, but initially put it down to the dreadful train journeys! (Cancelled trains galore, small town station with one train an hour... in theory.) I'd planned to walk home after my last train, but gave up as I really was feeling dreadful. Then when I was totting up my carbs for the day, I realised I'd had 3 times more than I'd been having for some time. Today has been very low carb and I am feeling tons better.

But, this has only come about recently. Even a few weeks ago, I'd've felt fine after a sandwich, glared at the number on the meter several hours later and stomped off for a walk. (Walking brings me down. I have to take my meter with me if it's longer than 3 miles as I can hypo, even on Metformin.)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
coming to the conclusion that I now feel ill with sugar spikes, brief or not, and would prefer to avoid them if I can.

Me too. I think SOME bodies get used to a certain place and like to stay there. As you said,s even small quick fluctuations are miserable and take a lot more time to recover from after its back in place. It's not just about the number, it's also about consistency FOR ME ...

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I'm coming to the conclusion that I now feel ill with sugar spikes, brief or not, and would prefer to avoid them if I can.

Yesterday was a day I had a lunch situation I hadn't expected, and the menu was not friendly to me! So, I risked a sandwich. Just a two slices of bread sandwich. I felt ill for the rest of the day, but initially put it down to the dreadful train journeys! (Cancelled trains galore, small town station with one train an hour... in theory.) I'd planned to walk home after my last train, but gave up as I really was feeling dreadful. Then when I was totting up my carbs for the day, I realised I'd had 3 times more than I'd been having for some time. Today has been very low carb and I am feeling tons better.

But, this has only come about recently. Even a few weeks ago, I'd've felt fine after a sandwich, glared at the number on the meter several hours later and stomped off for a walk. (Walking brings me down. I have to take my meter with me if it's longer than 3 miles as I can hypo, even on Metformin.)

Effects of different breads vary greatly, even if they apppear very similar.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat 2 slices of seeded bread with little effect on my BS but a tortilla or Warburton thin used to caus quite a spike in my BS. Not sure of the affects now because I haven't had the courage to try them again.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, all breads lead to spikes. A couple of weeks ago, faced with a carb-laden breakfast menu when kind friends were taking us out to a pub, I finally went for bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon and ate one half of the bagel. My BG shot up to 8.9 and stayed there sulking and refusing to come down until lunch time, when with a pre-prandial of 8.9 I didn't feel like eating anything. It finally condescended to come down before supper.

Yet the week before I'd eaten several praline-filled Easter eggs, spiked to about the same but then come straight back down to normal.

Sadly I've had to face the fact (not for the first time, but every year or so I try again) that bread really doesn't work for me.

Kate

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, all breads lead to spikes. A couple of weeks ago, faced with a carb-laden breakfast menu when kind friends were taking us out to a pub, I finally went for bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon and ate one half of the bagel. My BG shot up to 8.9 and stayed there sulking and refusing to come down until lunch time, when with a pre-prandial of 8.9 I didn't feel like eating anything. It finally condescended to come down before supper.

Yet the week before I'd eaten several praline-filled Easter eggs, spiked to about the same but then come straight back down to normal.

Sadly I've had to face the fact (not for the first time, but every year or so I try again) that bread really doesn't work for me.

Kate

I am exactly the same :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the same too. Not only do grains spike me but they also make me IR for hours where some sugar I can get back down. Even flours to thicken gravy will keep me for much longer.

Spliffdic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im
I was diagnosed as type 2 six months ago, and have reduced my average from 83 to 49 with lowish carb. diet, exercise & 2 x 500 daily Metformin. I have just invested in a freestyle libre pack which gives constant monitoring, and have discovered that I have quite high spikes after some meals, particularly breakfast. I can go up from, say, 5.7 or 6.0 to 8 or 9 after 1 hour but back to previous levels well before 2 hours. Are these spikes once or twice a day OK, as they are so brief?
sure that is pretty normal as long it does not go up at double figure then you're ok.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as type 2 six months ago, and have reduced my average from 83 to 49 with lowish carb. diet, exercise & 2 x 500 daily Metformin. I have just invested in a freestyle libre pack which gives constant monitoring, and have discovered that I have quite high spikes after some meals, particularly breakfast. I can go up from, say, 5.7 or 6.0 to 8 or 9 after 1 hour but back to previous levels well before 2 hours. Are these spikes once or twice a day OK, as they are so brief?
https://www.diabetes-symposium.org/index.php?menu=view&source=authors&sourceid=49&id=322

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get completely despondent reading these posts. Despite following religiously a high fat low carb diet of no more than 30g carbs a day, my bg overnight are never lower than 8.5, and my bg after food is 7.5. I am losing weight which is great, and exercising, but I am at a loss as to how to get my bg any lower. I am trying to avoid going on any meds but after 4 months of eating so carefully and seeing so little improvement, and hearing everyone else panic when their bg is over 6, I feel really depressed about it all.
You are very similar to me, also diagnosed 4 months ago. My fasting levels are starting to improve but it has been very stubborn. I got excellent advice on here to focus on the difference between starting meal and 2 hours later. However I so far havent been able to have breakfast. I tried a slice of cheddar (odd breakfast imo) I tried coffee with cream (dont like cream but thought oh well) and I only have eggs for breakfast occasionally because they often make up a big part of lunch or dinner. None of these things made any difference to my fasting levels. Now I enjoy a cup of tea and one mini oatcake because I feel I ought to have something with my other meds. Dont eat again till lunch.
Another piece of excellent advice here was not to fret over fasting levels because if I do everything else right they will slowly improve and there is now a slight improvement (7s rather than 8s).
Bit longwinded but I just want to encourage you. It takes longer for some but keep going. Btw I also am resisting meds for this condition.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are very similar to me, also diagnosed 4 months ago. My fasting levels are starting to improve but it has been very stubborn. I got excellent advice on here to focus on the difference between starting meal and 2 hours later. However I so far havent been able to have breakfast. I tried a slice of cheddar (odd breakfast imo) I tried coffee with cream (dont like cream but thought oh well) and I only have eggs for breakfast occasionally because they often make up a big part of lunch or dinner. None of these things made any difference to my fasting levels. Now I enjoy a cup of tea and one mini oatcake because I feel I ought to have something with my other meds. Dont eat again till lunch.
Another piece of excellent advice here was not to fret over fasting levels because if I do everything else right they will slowly improve and there is now a slight improvement (7s rather than 8s).
Bit longwinded but I just want to encourage you. It takes longer for some but keep going. Btw I also am resisting meds for this condition.
I'm afraid the person you have responded to hasn't been here for nearly 2 years. This is an old-ish thread so you might not get a response.