Are my BG results in line with my Hba1c

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening
Firstly sorry for the daily questions
When I was first diagnosed with T2D I was really not looking after myself after a traumatic 2 years, my hba1c was 99 mmol/ml which according to the photo attached if I'm reading it correctly gave me bg of 15.0 !?
52826e63e6b435090b21c44aec5f6765.jpg

For the last 2 months I've been following as best as I can the LCHF regime ( I'm now doing well) and I've see a drop in my self testing BG from 9/10/11 range down to 5/6/7.6 this is testing minimum 5 times a day,
Will the lower BG results reflect on my next hba1c test and reflect accordingly to the photo attached

I hope you all understand what I mean haha it's confused me as I'm typing it

Reactions: Prem51 and Energize

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trying to turn a single mmol/L into a HbA1c isn't black and white but it can be worked out fairly well.......

ultimately though with more 5/6/7 as opposed to 9/10/11, you are very likely to see a reduced HbA1c.....

good work.....

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will see a huge improvement in HbA1c - and congratulations for that! Well deserved congratulations too. :)

But your HbA1c continues ticking away all the times you aren't testing, so depending on that, you may find that the result looks somewhat different from your average meter readings...

Even something like wearing a Libre 24/7, which calculates your HbA1c for you, doesn't necessarily match up with a lab test result (for a number of reasons, including rate of glycation, variability of strips/meter readings, and so on).

The important thing is that you have made massive changes to your life, and they are reflected in your blood glucose, and the trends and lowered readings are indicative that you have grabbed this D thing and have wrestled it under control! ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes up to three months for the red blood cells to be replaced so an early Hba1c would mean that you would be (in part) testing the same old blood cells again and get a similar result. If you can keep up good/low BS levels for three months then an Hba1c test at the end of that period should show the improvement.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My next hba1c testing is in January I'm not expecting miracles but with the work I've put in im hoping for good improvement even something in the 60's 70's would be nice I'll let you know the outcome

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the Squire, A) run a book and B) I think you will be pleasantly surprised - so long as you stick with what you're doing now.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all the above, and would like to say very well done for what you have achieved so far. Keep it up and you may get a wonderful surprise in January. :)

Reactions: Energize

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure you will see great improvement, you seem to really keep an eye on the ball and not jump into eating your old style at all.. of cause that´ll pay in the longer run...
I myself didn´t get as low numbers in my second HbA1c as I thought I would, but in the following my number was in the non diabetic area.. the problem is if we go from very high to very low, the very high numbers of glucose will stick to the oldest of our red blood cells and in that way count maybe more than half...but there is some time to january, so maybe your numbers will represent your great efford much better.

I see it all as a competition with myself, and am so proud I do so well, but also understand that sometimes in this condition there are aspects we just can´t controll as much as we would like to..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My finger prick test results and HbA1c are never very close. A decent Libre (i.e. where the finger prick and sensor readings are well aligned) always suggest an HbA1c of 21/22, whereas the lab HbA1c results are usually 31-33.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy to maintain 31-33 (or actually my mental range before I'd be sulking or having a tantrum) is a bit wider than that, but really just highlighting my experience to help you appreciate how the chart and your meter may not complete match with each other.

To be honest, though, I think you will see a very good improvement in your numbers. Please just don't set your heart on that number being very specific.

Keep us posted in January. Fingers crossed for you, but I don't think you really need that.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The HbA1c test results do tend to be largely biased towards the most recent 6-8 weeks. So that, combined with the excellent results you've been seeing over the last couple of months - will undoubtedly give you a reading that you should be very proud of:)

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@Terryrhino - no need to tie yourself up in knots over this. I was getting around the same sort of figures (with the odd 4 thrown in) and ended up with a new Hba1c figure of 48. I wouldn't be surprised if yours ends up similar.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Terryrhino - no need to tie yourself up in knots over this. I was getting around the same sort of figures (with the odd 4 thrown in) and ended up with a new Hba1c figure of 48. I wouldn't be surprised if yours ends up similar.

I'd be very happy with a 48 but I'm not expecting miracles and I know it's just something that has to carry on and not just do it for a few months and think " well I'm ok now let's have a sugar and potato sandwich " im actually enjoying the new lifestyle it's quite nice waking up without feeling tired or hungover!!!
Praise to the vegetables!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
There can be quite a lot of variability between average blood glucose levels and HbA1c. Some people are high glycaters and some are low glycaters. If you're a high glycater, then you'll have a higher HbA1c than someone else who is a lower glycater with the same average blood glucose level. Also, people's red blood cell average life spans are variable, with longer lived red blood cells resulting in higher HbA1c for a given average blood glucose level. Anemia and other blood disorders can also skew the HbA1c number.

The following graph shows how variable HbA1c can be compared to mean blood glucose levels. These were all diabetics who wore continuous glucose monitors to calculate their mean blood glucose levels.

HbA1c_EMBG.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can add me to the list of high glycators unfortunately. I know this for sure having worn Libre sensors and been someone that has tested above 10 times a day most days for 2 and a half years. I have now learnt to treat my HbA1c as unworthy of stress and to rely on what my meter and sensors tell me.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the reverse is true.

My HbA1c results are always lower than my pricks

However I am an obsessive non tester so the averages never cover too great a period.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You do need to keep going as the HbA1c is biased towards the most recent although covers the previous 3 months. If you continue the way you are doing now it should be a great improvement.

Reactions: Terryrhino

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
However, it is not always so straightforward. I had my HbA1c tested in August and it gave a result of 37 which is according to the charts I have looked at equivalent to a BG reading of 6.2 according to the nurse at the hospital and my BG reading according to my meter were 9-11. She insisted there was something wrong with my meter and they changed it, but the results stayed the same, maybe I had anaemia for which I was tested and I haven't, or I am having unrecognised hypos. She insisted I need to reduce my insulin down from 24 in the morning and 12 in the evening to 12 in the morning and 3 in the evening which I did for a month. My BG results ended up being 12 first thing in the morning and up to 18 at night. On Monday I phoned the hospital for advice and they feel my insulin does need to go back to what it was before (24/12) even though it may mean my HbA1c will go quite low but that may be normal for me so I am gradually increasing it again. She said that for me it is more important my daily BG readings are under control rather than what my HbA1c says. So I have been gradually increasing my insulin to the previous level and my BG levels are gradually going down (in fact last night it was 5.7 and it was 7.3 and teatime. It will be interesting to see what my next HbA1c shows. I am not sure when I have to have it done probably either January depending or whether they want 3month or 6 month blood tests.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
It will be better! Keep doing what you are doing. (And drink lots of water)