Are there any type 1 diabetics here in remission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say it's simply getting through the honeymoon on "REDUCED CARBS"? I don't eat carbs and I don't add any insulin either, so what are you on about? and I haven't had one hypo since the 11th March 2021. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Have you ever attempted to go on a high saturated animal fat, moderate protein, zero carbs for 18 months or more without any cheat days?
No and I never would. 10 days of Atkins wrecked my bowel for many months. Also I am not a keen meat eater. The protocol would be hell for me. I need my veggies.

The rest of your post just twists my words. Going through the honeymoon on reduced carbs or no carbs still amounts to the same thing, your pancreas doesn't need to produce as much insulin, and I was talking generally about the T1 honeymoon period, not specifically about you. That's why I said I had seen posts about it here for 10 years, not your posts, you are new here.

The 'adding insulin' phrase was about the pancreas working intermittently and sending you into the hypos you said you used to have when you were using insulin and having carbs.

I was saying that you have found a good way for yourself to get through the honeymoon period without the hypos you got early on.

In fact apart from the remission issue I wasn't disagreeing with you at all in that post, yet still you argue. Did you argue this much before you went carnivore?

• Creative
Reactions: Oldvatr

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
No and I never would. 10 days of Atkins wrecked my bowel for many months. Also I am not a keen meat eater. The protocol would be hell for me. I need my veggies.

The rest of your post just twists my words. Going through the honeymoon on reduced carbs or no carbs still amounts to the same thing, your pancreas doesn't need to produce as much insulin, and I was talking generally about the T1 honeymoon period, not specifically about you. That's why I said I had seen posts about it here for 10 years, not your posts, you are new here.

The 'adding insulin' phrase was about the pancreas working intermittently and sending you into the hypos you said you used to have when you were using insulin and having carbs.

I was saying that you have found a good way for yourself to get through the honeymoon period without the hypos you got early on.

In fact apart from the remission issue I wasn't disagreeing with you at all in that post, yet still you argue. Did you argue this much before you went carnivore?
Yep there is no one fits all diet. What suits one might not suit another.
I'm not arguing I'm just telling you my way of eating. The Atkins was way too much protein for me, it raised my blood glucose levels and I couldn't stick with Keto either, even low carb/fibre/vegetables was wrecking my digestive system. The fibre made me constipated. I've never been constipated since going zero carbs, moderate to low protein, high saturated animal fat, That was and still is my ideal way of eating.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again @Billy Barroo ,

Interestingly on your posted diagnosis sheet. Your secondary diagnosis was “influenza.”
You were also admitted to hospital late December 2019 & discharged in early Jan 2020.

prior to your hospital admission for the DKA. When did you actually see a GP or any HCP for a check up or anything else..
(No need to mention what it was..)

Reactions: Billy Barroo

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The honeymoon period can vary from person to person. I can last for any number of days, weeks, months and years. Did you not know that? The fact is that she was in remission no matter how long the period of time it took. I've been in remission since 26th July 2021. It totally debunks the myth that type 1 diabetics can not go into remission. Instead of me having to repeat myself over and over again just scroll back and read the posts. The In Response post said "I am convinced my honeymoon lasted at least 8 years."
Yes I did know that. No need for sarcasm. My point was the article you are using as evidence does not say anything about duration and so is hardly evidence beyond the fact that it can happen. The fact that a honeymoon was had is not news. Many adult type 1 have some sort of honeymoon. It’s not news or a discovery or silenced. Many in here have had such, including @In Response. The only thing that differs is you are calling it remission and most call it a honeymoon. I now suspect that is the crux of the disputing of your position/confusion caused by this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I did know that. No need for sarcasm. My point was the article you are using as evidence does not say anything about duration and so is hardly evidence beyond the fact that it can happen. The fact that a honeymoon was had is not news. Many adult type 1 have some sort of honeymoon. It’s not news or a discovery or silenced. Many in here have had such, including @In Response. The only thing that differs is you are calling it remission and most call it a honeymoon. I now suspect that is the crux of the disputing of your position/confusion caused by this thread.
You asked a question Quote: "Does it last a month, a year, 5 years or a lifetime? An extremely important point we keep coming back to". and I answered it. "The honeymoon period can vary from person to person. It can last for any number of days, weeks, months and years". I actually thought you didn't know, So was this so called sarcasm coming from you? I call it being in remission because my HbA1c has been below the 6.5% range since July last year without having to inject insulin or take any other form of diabetes medication. Does it really matter if I call it "in remission" which it is, in my case, (I'm within the range), while some others others call it honeymoon? If Diabetes.co.uk can call it remission then I can't see why I can't. You now suspect/assume that I'm confused. (rude and not called for) There is no confusion as far as I'm concerned.

Attachments

• remission 3.JPG
    remission 3.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 56

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Does complete remission mean you will be asymptomatic no matter what does it mean you have cured you type 1 diabetes can you now eat carbs/sugar with impunity?

Or is it just a matter of semantics you say remission I say honeymoon period, remission , honeymoon honeymoon remission oh lets just give the whole thing up.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is a second honeymoon possible? Meaning, there's the diagnosis of Type 1 and the honeymoon period, then when it's over more insulin is required, and then quite sometime later (maybe months or years) the pancreas produces more insulin again.

Reactions: HSSS and zand

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
You say it's simply getting through the honeymoon on "REDUCED CARBS"? I don't eat carbs and I don't add any insulin either, so what are you on about? and I haven't had one hypo since the 11th March 2021. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Have you ever attempted to go on a high saturated animal fat, moderate protein, zero carbs for 18 months or more without any cheat days?
In my personal case, honeymoon probably lasted 2-3 years between first sign of symptoms (diagnosed 1 year in - very low c-peptide and high GAD Abs) and then first DKA episode 3 years from first symptoms. Interestingly my first endo (this was in Singapore) insisted that I use insulin for 2 months before the c-peptide & antibodies tests as he was hoping that mine was an insulin resistance exhausted T2 pancreas that needed a break and that I could be managed by low carb, metformin, etc - he was devastated that this was not the case for me. After 12 years diagnosed, tests repeated for my UK records - c-peptide totally zero and GAD Abs x 10 times higher than before. Plus when I've been sick or not able to access my insulins, DKA symptoms can appear within hours. So sadly I think the window for any Beta cell activity in my pancreas has now shut.

However if a Carnivore diet keeps Beta cells functioning longer for you and you are happy with this diet that is a good personal roadmap for you. Perhaps be a bit careful about generalising to other Type 1s?

Yes I have tried to stay on a pure carnivore diet - I love eggs in any form, bacon, beef, lamb and butter! Only carb weakness is occasional popcorn. Can eat carnivore, but then start dreaming about iceberg lettuce...

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
You are NOT in remission if you're in the honeymoon phase and still injecting insulin or still taking any diabetes medication. You ARE in remission if you're in the honeymoon phase and not injecting insulin or not taking any diabetes medication. That's the difference.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Is a second honeymoon possible? Meaning, there's the diagnosis of Type 1 and the honeymoon period, then when it's over more insulin is required, and then quite sometime later (maybe months or years) the pancreas produces more insulin again.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You asked a question Quote: "Does it last a month, a year, 5 years or a lifetime? An extremely important point we keep coming back to". and I answered it. "The honeymoon period can vary from person to person. It can last for any number of days, weeks, months and years". I actually thought you didn't know, So was this so called sarcasm coming from you? I call it being in remission because my HbA1c has been below the 6.5% range since July last year without having to inject insulin or take any other form of diabetes medication. Does it really matter if I call it "in remission" which it is, in my case, (I'm within the range), while some others others call it honeymoon? If Diabetes.co.uk can call it remission then I can't see why I can't. You now suspect/assume that I'm confused. (rude and not called for) There is no confusion as far as I'm concerned.
Hi,

Your attachment with the definition of “remission” is referencing type two..
From here, https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...eating-your-diabetes/type2-diabetes-remission

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not disputing you are in remission using diet. & I sincerely am glad you ditched the insulin. (Upside, no more messing with DVLA.)

But it would be lovely if you responded to what I feel was a pertinent question up stream..

Here it is again..

Hi again @Billy Barroo ,

Interestingly on your posted diagnosis sheet. Your secondary diagnosis was “influenza.”
You were also admitted to hospital late December 2019 & discharged in early Jan 2020.

prior to your hospital admission for the DKA. When did you actually see a GP or any HCP for a check up or anything else..
(No need to mention what it was..)

Because inspite of your diagnosis in December 2019. Written in black & white.. Remission from “what.?”

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Some of us do know about this but we're being silenced and by the way, I'm not playing with words. Scientists HAVE discovered a way for type 1's to get into remission, I've been following their protocol for the past 18 months and that's how I've done it.
I'm glad that you have found a dietary approach which is currently helping with your diabetes (regardless if T1 or T2).

But interestingly my current endo who is also a world class diabetes researcher is about to publish his clinical trial of the pros and cons for low carb/keto diets for Type 1 diabetics - speaking with him, there are almost no peer reviewed trials on this topic?

lolabunny876

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for 6 years. My “honeymoon” period lasted for 4 years. I had no insulin whatsoever during this time and although I ate a low carb diet, I wasn’t extremely strict with it as I was at uni at the time and cared less about my general health. Nonetheless, all my Hba1c results were under 6.9%.

I then went on insulin 2 years ago after a good few months of eating poorly, and just assumed my honeymoon period had ended. From here on out I started eating how I wanted and taking my insulin as required. I also gained quite a lot of weight during this time.

Recently, I decided to go back on a low carb diet as I was finding my diabetes management was poor and I wanted to lose some weight as I was suffering some insulin resistance here and there. I also cut out alcohol, vaping and cut back on caffeine drastically. I started this low carb diet around 6 weeks ago and I’m currently 74kg (I’m 5’11). For the last week I haven’t needed any insulin whatsoever and I always fall back to around 5/6 mmols and stabilise there. I thought yesterday I’d experiment by eating a chocolate bar just to see what would happen. Although my blood sugar did spike up to 11 mmols, within 2/3 hours it had dropped back down to 6 mmols.

I’m very confused, am I ‘cured’? Am I even a type 1 diabetic? I’m of course going to keep up my low carb diet - I feel way better for it anyway - I just have no idea what’s going on lol.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
You could just basically do a test to work it out. Starve for a period of time (like 8 hours) and see if your blood sugar rises due to the liver dump. You'd then know if your body was responding appropriately to bs increases or you are a type 1 and your pancreas isn't responding well. You could monitor your blood sugar throughout to see.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
“Did you not know that” came across as sarcastic and rude. If it was a genuine question I’m sorry. Nothing I’ve said is sarcasm or intended as such. I said this thread was causing confusion, not that you were confused.

The definition you are using of remission is associated with type 2. There is no widely used definition of remission for type 1 even if you do fit that of the type 2’s (Which if you were type 2 you would be in remission) The reason it matters is because it causes confusion and gives false hope as other posts have shown.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are NOT in remission if you're in the honeymoon phase and still injecting insulin or still taking any diabetes medication. You ARE in remission if you're in the honeymoon phase and not injecting insulin or not taking any diabetes medication. That's the difference.
Ah. Now for type 2 I’d completely agree with you - no medication to be in remission. However the 2015 paper you linked to above said there was such thing as partial remission of type 1 (ie a reduced amount of insulin being used).

Is there any other source of type 1 “remission” definition you have other than this one paper?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could just basically do a test to work it out. Starve for a period of time (like 8 hours) and see if your blood sugar rises due to the liver dump. You'd then know if your body was responding appropriately to bs increases or you are a type 1 and your pancreas isn't responding well. You could monitor your blood sugar throughout to see.
Wouldn’t a type 1 in honeymoon with some insulin production left still respond to some extent though? Obviously one with no production left would have real issues.

Reactions: mooshk

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m very confused, am I ‘cured’? Am I even a type 1 diabetic? I’m of course going to keep up my low carb diet - I feel way better for it anyway - I just have no idea what’s going on lol.
Did they ever test you for any other types of diabetes? MODY etc There are more than just 1&2

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Wouldn’t a type 1 in honeymoon with some insulin production left still respond to some extent though? Obviously one with no production left would have real issues.
I'm not sure tbf, I kind of assumed it would still go up due to the liver sugar dump but I guess as he's honeymooning then potentially yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.