Are there any type 1 diabetics here in remission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolabunny876

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they ever test you for any other types of diabetes? MODY etc There are more than just 1&2
Honestly I’m not even sure. I used to have an amazing diabetic nurse in Brighton who was super invested in figuring out what was going on with me. Unfortunately, since moving back to London no one cares enough to make the time. The doctors shrug their shoulders and say do what works for you and keeps your Hba1c in range. It’s extremely frustrating.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and HSSS

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad that you have found a dietary approach which is currently helping with your diabetes (regardless if T1 or T2).

But interestingly my current endo who is also a world class diabetes researcher is about to publish his clinical trial of the pros and cons for low carb/keto diets for Type 1 diabetics - speaking with him, there are almost no peer reviewed trials on this topic?

Attachments

• edorium.JPG
    edorium.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 82
  • clemens8.JPG
    clemens8.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 66
  • ketopaleo2.JPG
    ketopaleo2.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 75

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could just basically do a test to work it out. Starve for a period of time (like 8 hours) and see if your blood sugar rises due to the liver dump. You'd then know if your body was responding appropriately to bs increases or you are a type 1 and your pancreas isn't responding well. You could monitor your blood sugar throughout to see.
This does not diagnose a T2 from a LADA T1 during honeymoon.
If it did, there would be no need for antibodies and C-peptide testing to help figure out what type we are if things aren't completely clear cut.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
This does not diagnose a T2 from a LADA T1 during honeymoon.
If it did, there would be no need for antibodies and C-peptide testing to help figure out what type we are if things aren't completely clear cut.
Oh fair, I didn't realise this poster was LADA

Reactions: oldgreymare

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Your attachment with the definition of “remission” is referencing type two..
From here, https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...eating-your-diabetes/type2-diabetes-remission

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not disputing you are in remission using diet. & I sincerely am glad you ditched the insulin. (Upside, no more messing with DVLA.)

But it would be lovely if you responded to what I feel was a pertinent question up stream..

Here it is again..

Because inspite of your diagnosis in December 2019. Written in black & white.. Remission from “what.?”
Remission from Type 1 diabetes, not any of my many previous medical conditions. The definition in the attachment also applies to type 1. Prior to my hospital admission for the DKA the last time I saw my GP was 13 years ago when we moved house. I was having check ups every 3 months prior to that.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remission from Type 1 diabetes, not any of my many previous medical conditions. The definition in the attachment also applies to type 1. Prior to my hospital admission for the DKA the last time I saw my GP was 13 years ago when we moved house. I was having check ups every 3 months prior to that.
Thank you.

Believe it or not. I’m trying to help.13 years is a long time & your admission for DKA & diagnosis was (on the timeline) at the start of a virus outbreak? (You know the “one.”) I’m seeing an “angle.”

You were prescribed exogenous insulin, & now through diet. You dropped it.. “remission” I’m not debating. “Why,” needs more thought.. From all angles…

Edit to add; you also had “influenza.?”

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Does complete remission mean you will be asymptomatic no matter what does it mean you have cured you type 1 diabetes can you now eat carbs/sugar with impunity?

Or is it just a matter of semantics you say remission I say honeymoon period, remission , honeymoon honeymoon remission oh lets just give the whole thing up.
You can be in the honeymoon period, but you are not in remission if you are still injecting insulin or taking any kind of diabetes medication. It's' not a cure. I can't eat carbs/sugar, if I did I'd be injecting insulin again.

• Agree
Reactions: Goonergal

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. Now for type 2 I’d completely agree with you - no medication to be in remission. However the 2015 paper you linked to above said there was such thing as partial remission of type 1 (ie a reduced amount of insulin being used).

Is there any other source of type 1 “remission” definition you have other than this one paper?
That's just "partial" remission their still on diabetes medication. I'm in complete remission, totally different.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

Believe it or not. I’m trying to help.13 years is a long time & your admission for DKA & diagnosis was (on the timeline) at the start of a virus outbreak? (You know the “one.”) I’m seeing an “angle.”

You were prescribed exogenous insulin, & now through diet. You dropped it.. “remission” I’m not debating. “Why,” needs more thought.. From all angles…

Edit to add; you also had “influenza.?”

Best wishes.
Yes, thanks for mentioning that Jaylee. I've been wondering about that myself for a couple of years now, especially when I think back when I was laid up in hospital. They were testing and sending off samples that I had to sign forms to allow and grant them them permission to send them off to labs for suspected pneumonia.
www.diabetes.org.uk

Exploring research: Can coronavirus cause diabetes?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, thanks for mentioning that Jaylee. I've been wondering about that myself for a couple of years now, especially when I think back when I was laid up in hospital. They were testing and sending off samples that I had to sign forms to allow and grant them them permission to send them off to labs for suspected pneumonia.
www.diabetes.org.uk

Exploring research: Can coronavirus cause diabetes?

OK. In the “early days” of C19. I was reading stuff like this? https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...orld-military-games-in-wuhan-in-october-2019/

Then later so called apparent correlation with newly diagnosed diabetes..

Best advise I can give. Work out your own condition, first. You deserve that “answer.”

I’m confident the “hive mind” can help chop some sort of sense into this..

Kind regards.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. In the “early days” of C19. I was reading stuff like this? https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...orld-military-games-in-wuhan-in-october-2019/

Then later so called apparent correlation with newly diagnosed diabetes..

Best advise I can give. Work out your own condition, first. You deserve that “answer.”

I’m confident the “hive mind” can help chop some sort of sense into this..

Kind regards.
My wife had flu like symptoms and a hacking cough in October 2019. I had ''flu like symptoms at the beginning of December 2019.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Is a second honeymoon possible? Meaning, there's the diagnosis of Type 1 and the honeymoon period, then when it's over more insulin is required, and then quite sometime later (maybe months or years) the pancreas produces more insulin again.
I've been informed that I only get the one shot of the honeymoon phase and that's the reason why I've kept to the present strict carnivore diet without any cheating.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
LADA is T1, it's how T1 usually presents in adults.
Oh I thought LADA is a slow progressing diabetes whereas type 1 is rapid progressing, as they're categorised differently? I just assumed they would have differing bs rising time period/honeymoon period etc. So I thought this individual wasn't saying they have LADA or are they?

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
LADA is a slow progressing diabetes whereas type 1 is rapid progressing no? As they're categorised differently and would have differing bs rising time period/honeymoon period etc. This individual isn't saying they have LADA are they?
I merely reacted to your post (quoted below) saying you can work out the difference between T1 and T2 by fasting for 8 hours. You can't.
The OP is still producing his own insulin, no matter what type he is.
You could just basically do a test to work it out. Starve for a period of time (like 8 hours) and see if your blood sugar rises due to the liver dump. You'd then know if your body was responding appropriately to bs increases or you are a type 1 and your pancreas isn't responding well. You could monitor your blood sugar throughout to see.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I merely reacted to your post (quoted below) saying you can work out the difference between T1 and T2 by fasting for 8 hours. You can't.
The OP is still producing his own insulin, no matter what type he is.
Yeah but then said that LADA is type 1 so I was confused, I also agreed to another saying that if the poster was in honeymoon then it may not work as that poster pointed out. I'm not being aggressive, I was genuinely asking questions because the whole post is about trying to work out which type they have.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah but then said that LADA is type 1 so I was confused, I also agreed to another saying that if the poster was in honeymoon then it may not work as that poster pointed out. I'm not being aggressive, I was genuinely asking questions because the whole post is about trying to work out which type they have.
Apologies for sounding short with my reply, wasn't meant that way!
The honeymoon is for T1s (LADA or not) when you still make enough insulin to make a difference. It can last for a long time, even if you already need insulin as well.
You're still a T1 if you're diabetes is caused by an autoimmune reaction destroying your beta cells, even if you don't need insulin for a while.

In children, this honeymoon is usually very short, in adults it can be a long time but it doesn't have to be.
If the destruction of beta cells isn't a very quick thing it's called LADA.

For many people this honeymoon doesn't mean they don't need insulin, it rather means their pancreas splutters out insulin in unpredictable ways, making it harder to find the right doses.
For others, the pancreas helps them, cushioning dosing errors.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
UPDATE.
I was re-admitted into hospital again at the end of February 2020 and again on the 1st March 2020 for 3 days for more blood tests, x- rays, ECG's, anti-sickness medication for gastroparesis, to monitor my multiple hyper and hypoglycemic episodes that I was having each day and to monitor my oxygen levels.

Attachments

• queen.jpg
    queen.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can be in the honeymoon period, but you are not in remission if you are still injecting insulin or taking any kind of diabetes medication. It's' not a cure. I can't eat carbs/sugar, if I did I'd be injecting insulin again.
It's just that to me being in remission means being asymptomatic that is a complete absence of symptoms hypoglycemia and the inability to cope with carbs being a symptom of diabetes.

I have been a Myasthenic for 20 years for a period I experienced what I thought to remission only to be disabused of this notion by my neurologist who quite emphatically said if you have any symptoms you are not in remission.

I have known many Myasthenics who have gone into remission that is a complete absence of symptoms and not requiring medication for extended periods sometimes years only to wake up one day with full blown myasthenia Gravis one again.

So I suppose it's all just about how you define remission in the end if you wish to consider your self in remission then that's fine by me.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: oldgreymare

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry I am highly cynical when people claim remission from type 1 so I too would question the diagnosis.

For 99.9% of type 1 diabetics living with this condition, remission isn't a word that applies, we rely on insulin to live, without it we die, this thread gives faint hope to those who question their diagnosis but for the rest of us we just view it with great suspicion.

Status
Not open for further replies.