Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From an article
"This Is What Happens to Your Body on a Thru-Hike"
by Kyle Boelte published in "Outside Magazine"

"Before the hike, my doctor was concerned about my hemoglobin A1c number, which measures average blood sugar levels over a two- to three-month period. A result greater than 5.6 percent (37.7) is an indication of prediabetes; my A1c was 5.9 percent (41). Given my active life, the result came as a surprise. It was probably due mostly to genetics (my dad is prediabetic), though all those pasta dinners, energy bars, and sports drinks I had consumed over the years probably didn’t help.

Before the trip, I was considered active by American standards: exercising for 40 to 60 minutes a day—but also sitting for at least eight hours while working in front of a computer. I was eating what I felt was a pretty typical diet for an endurance athlete: pasta, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and energy bars when I was on the go.

Most thru-hikers eat a diet rich in Snickers bars, dehydrated mashed potatoes, and other high-carb foods, but on the Colorado Trail, we stuck to nuts, jerky, dried fruit, and only one carb-heavy meal a day, like a mac-and-cheese dinner.

After the hike, my hemoglobin A1c dropped to within the normal range. My blood sugar levels were better controlled by my walking throughout the day (including after meals), rather than running or biking just once a day. That’s consistent with a 2012 study that showed walking after meals to be effective for lowering blood sugar levels. However, simply walking is probably not enough: had I eaten the normal high-carb thru-hike diet, I’m not sure if my hemoglobin A1c would have improved as much as it did."

In the UK with those A1cs Kyle would never have been considered pre-diabetic, either before or after his trip.

I often get the impression that to resolve my many and various health problems, all I need to do is walk for 8 hours every day but ...

You can read the full article here: https://www.outsideonline.com/21250...00&utm_source=campaignmonitor outsidemagazine