ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks. I am wondering specifically how much food I can eat after the procedure, as a way of life. Would I always have to eat small amounts, like child sized portions? Does that affect nutrition to be, in effect, on a restricted diet for the rest of my life?

I am at the beginning of getting information, but can't find out what happens in the years ahead, only up to the procedure and the next 6 - 12 months.
It may be because we are all different. As you know some put all the weight back on. I've scratched my head over it and my conclusion is carb hunger. Some start drinking beer again or white bread (or similar) and as a result they get carb hunger. It gives them 'head hunger' and results in overeating. Their brain tells them their still not satisfied or full.
I find large portions of protein enough to put my hunger radar right.
Too much cheese or nuts stops weight loss. For everyone. Everyone I've come across to date.
Satiety is your guidestick. To be honest I don't ever feel hungry unless I've eaten a carb.
Also I need hugely less to satisfy me which is why I may eat less than the operation. I'm sure my surgeon would back me when I say I thought pre-op I was eating less (volume). I'm sure my tummy was large. Although my tummy was rerouted so to my left inside. A new tummy was formed and protected by PPI taken twice daily. Which I was taking anyway, pre-op. An orange size is normal (on average).
I was told just before signing that they can now be undone at a later date. Which I was surprised to hear. Not sure if that has an expiry date though. I'm in no hurry to hv mine undone.
My liver and other blood tests have come back very good so in all my teams are very happy.
I just need this narky gallbladder pain sorted. It's at times worse than toothache but some days covered well on codeine. Once it's removed and far less pain and painkillers I'll feel the whole experience was a success.

Myself I've researched via person experience from those who hv had the Roux-en-y. There are unlimited people who have now had it done. A load of Americans who are only too happy to share their experiences via FB. I chose the better educated ones as I found they had researched too and had took the effort to try and understand the medical jargon in medical journals etc.
I made personal mental notes at the beginning but jotted important parts down nearer the time of my op. Personal experience I feel makes up 90% and medicine can fill in the other 10%. Surgeons can tell you what has happened but won't guarantee anything. As they shouldn't.
What is your biggest need? Weight loss was a side effect to my need to rid insulin or at least get a better grip on my diabetes control. Low carbing was a godsend as before I had no hope other than dangerous eating or lack of it.
I'll always be grateful for low carbing but wasn't a full solution for me. Surgery and clever eating has made a huge difference.
I now eat with protein first then veg... then potato or cereal last. If room.
I still need support for the protein to be digested without huge bg peaks. I use 2x500mg metformin only with daily basal insulin and if had a treat of carb I need insulin but will experience in months ahead to rid more insulin with other tablets. Maybe.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be because we are all different. As you know some put all the weight back on. I've scratched my head over it and my conclusion is carb hunger. Some start drinking beer again or white bread (or similar) and as a result they get carb hunger. It gives them 'head hunger' and results in overeating. Their brain tells them their still not satisfied or full.
I find large portions of protein enough to put my hunger radar right.
Too much cheese or nuts stops weight loss. For everyone. Everyone I've come across to date.
Satiety is your guidestick. To be honest I don't ever feel hungry unless I've eaten a carb.
Also I need hugely less to satisfy me which is why I may eat less than the operation. I'm sure my surgeon would back me when I say I thought pre-op I was eating less (volume). I'm sure my tummy was large. Although my tummy was rerouted so to my left inside. A new tummy was formed and protected by PPI taken twice daily. Which I was taking anyway, pre-op. An orange size is normal (on average).
I was told just before signing that they can now be undone at a later date. Which I was surprised to hear. Not sure if that has an expiry date though. I'm in no hurry to hv mine undone.
My liver and other blood tests have come back very good so in all my teams are very happy.
I just need this narky gallbladder pain sorted. It's at times worse than toothache but some days covered well on codeine. Once it's removed and far less pain and painkillers I'll feel the whole experience was a success.

Myself I've researched via person experience from those who hv had the Roux-en-y. There are unlimited people who have now had it done. A load of Americans who are only too happy to share their experiences via FB. I chose the better educated ones as I found they had researched too and had took the effort to try and understand the medical jargon in medical journals etc.
I made personal mental notes at the beginning but jotted important parts down nearer the time of my op. Personal experience I feel makes up 90% and medicine can fill in the other 10%. Surgeons can tell you what has happened but won't guarantee anything. As they shouldn't.
What is your biggest need? Weight loss was a side effect to my need to rid insulin or at least get a better grip on my diabetes control. Low carbing was a godsend as before I had no hope other than dangerous eating or lack of it.
I'll always be grateful for low carbing but wasn't a full solution for me. Surgery and clever eating has made a huge difference.
I now eat with protein first then veg... then potato or cereal last. If room.
I still need support for the protein to be digested without huge bg peaks. I use 2x500mg metformin only with daily basal insulin and if had a treat of carb I need insulin but will experience in months ahead to rid more insulin with other tablets. Maybe.
Thanks. Controlling my blood sugar levels is not my issue, my weight causing immobility and joint problems is my issue, along with my inability to lose weight by diet. I think the permenant damage to my liver 20 years ago, due to an accident, may have something to do with my problems.

My GP has agreed to refer me, supported by my liver consultant.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks. Controlling my blood sugar levels is not my issue, my weight causing immobility and joint problems is my issue, along with my inability to lose weight by diet. I think the permenant damage to my liver 20 years ago, due to an accident, may have something to do with my problems.

My GP has agreed to refer me, supported by my liver consultant.
You won't regret it.
My only advice is get as much out of your consultations as possible. Surgeons are hugely busy. In more need now to prevent deaths more than ever, now.
Insulin withdrawal was done independantly but I was trusted to manage it well myself. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the need for less insulin. Especially immediately after the op. In fact excellent management of insulin before op is the key. Endocrinologist advised how much I should reduce immediately after op on discharge. Hospital ward covered all angles and I appreciated their diligence throughout, especially in recovery. Correct insulin at that stage improves healing from op. Fast healing is the aim. Excellent bgs is the key for all ops. Even just a quick gallbladder removal.
Did you get type2 after liver injury?