1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

At last looking to ditch insulin.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by ickihun, Dec 3, 2020.

1. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm sorry to leave this area of the forum but 'the end is nigh'. I'm coming off insulin.
    I don't want to jinx myself but it looks good for me to stop my insulin soon. Via medical supervision.

I will miss you all but I'm going to try and only post for type2s who are obese as I hv the most experience of the long prolonged experience. I'm no longer morbidly obese and as a result of clever eating and knowing what my body reacts to best I can compliment my bariatric teams great achievements.
    I have yet to thank their team officially but in due course I will. Every effort to send individually thanks has been scuppered but that won't stop me.
    They have been a fantastic team and through thorough c-peptide tests I can feel comfortable to say I'm still producing my own insulin. I may get another C-peptide test to check last one wasn't a blip in due course too. I did hv a period of lower insulin level so I will air on caution and will buy another 10 ketone test strips for my own piece of mind.
    I'm delighted I'm not suffering lower insulin in my blood even though I've been Injecting less.
    Once I get a clear diagnosis on my gallbladder and/or op (which will TAKE place)... if MRI (MRCP) sees the problem. The pain can at times be unbearable.... Supported by GP with pain relief which works off and on.....I will be keen to try past tablets which helped. Not any SGLT2 inhibitors though. They were horrendous.

I can now see the end of a very very slow journey on insulin and being extremely insulin resistant.
    I am very very appreciative of its good work though and I'm due my annual eye test to reconfirm no damage. Phew!
    I'll never pretend to fully understand my body but I know the NHS feel more confident now I'm not in a very high BMI category. And if they're happy so am I. Without their support I was really really struggling. I still struggle but tick boxes for a good hba1c and a body producing enough insulin, for now. Smiling heavily for once. An accomplishment down to the Roux-en-y operation 18mths ago.
    Just a few more boxes to tick but as always I won't let go as I know can be done with NHS help. And boy have I some repayment due to it which I'm convinced I can give in abundance and with conviction once I'm more my active self.
    I can get to my optimal health status so won't be giving in, anytime soon.

Thank you for reading. Thank you for your support.
    I will pop in this area of Forum to read and support when I can.
    I won't forget you all.
    I'm going to be popping in off and on in my old areas of Forum. It I can be of help.
    I'm a success and hv other areas I want to succeed in too.
    Keep smiling :) :) :)

• Winner x 15
    • Like x 5
    • Hug x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That's fantastic... the coming off insulin part. I hope you keep posting. Maybe more so then you plan. I wish you all the best!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @ickihun

I am so happy for you that you are finally reaching your goal. I know you've had a very long journey and have been fighting hard to get there. So, really, really well done. You are truly inspirational. Hope you continue to keep posting (at least once in a while).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Thanks @ziggy_w I will do my very best.
    Merry Christmas. Best wishes for 2021. I guess 2020 has been a mind blowing year. Who would hv guessed I'd lose most of my weight problem in such a terrible worldwide year? The stars must be way way out of sync. Ha ha.
    I wonder what 2021 will bring us? I wish only the very best for you and all the lovely posters.
    It may be a rocking year, maybe the total opposite to the suppressed 2020. Fingers crossed.
    I hope for a less of an upside world and clarity and all its forms. :) :) :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Well done and I wish you a better 2021 than we are currently experiencing. I have followed your journey here for some time now, and I am pleased for you. Good luck in sorting out the remaining little niggles Have a Happy Smiling Christmas.

6. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Inspirational & great to know you're producing enough insulin again.
    That weight loss will really aid your sensitivity improving.
    A great journey.

7. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great news.

May I ask what amount and foods long-term someone can eat after this procedure please?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

That's great news and wishing you all the very best :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Wow! @ickihun, wow really great news.
    I am so happy for you.

Keep posting, keep battling, keep pushing and more importantly keep safe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @ickihun,now this might sound strange but I have never been so GLAD to say 'goodbye and I hope you don't come back'!!!!!! Of course I mean that you are a STAR, you have been slogging along for ever and your hard work has paid off big style. Whatever type and whatever medication a person is on or not, I do hope you keep posting!!!!! xxxx

• Like Like x 2
  11. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic!!!! Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

That sounds like a great Christmas present - I hope everything continues smoothly for you!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

You are an inspiration @ickihun I’ve watched your journey over the last couple of years and I am so impressed by your resilience and your positive attitude. I am so happy for you. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are an absolute winner in my book, @ickihun. For some of us, it has been relatively easy to get back into the non-diabetic range and off all medication, but you are a real fighter and have never given up. Your success is very much deserved. I am very much in awe of your achievement. Wishing you and your lovely family all the best for 2021.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Good luck with it all @ickihun . If you are able to come off and remain off insulin, it will be such a liberation for you. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Woohoo! You go girl! :D So pleased for you

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So impressed by your perseverance and want to wish you all the very best to continue your goals. It may have been a long and bumpy road but I hope you enjoy the destination of better health. Wishing you an even better 2021

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@ickihun well done on your success. You’re tenacity and perseverance has paid off - a successful end to an unpredictable year. Good luck in the future xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I eat high protein foods. Some can need insulin or cause higher bgs.
    I eat different amounts on different days. Some days I can eat more some days I'm reminded I only have a small orange size tummy.
    I'm not heavily exercising but those who can lose more weight than I have.
    I have had some Christmas treats but in small amounts so mostly have been nut or cheese based.
    My family are realising I no longer CAN finish what either child hasn't eaten which was asked for on a whim. Our livelife has been fed very well some days.
    I'm very very pleased with my surgeon's work. Of which I haven't shown my thanks in my normal fashion, yet. But I will.
    My family needs have been very heavy due to Covid. I'm now fill-in junior teacher on top of everything else. Maybe I'd always would hv been due to the little ones extra needs. Inbetween sleeping when my B12 get a bit low. It's now very obvious to me but only til recently though. Extra B12 in products don't help very much. The injection is imperative to daily function. I'd say the only disability from the Roux-en-y procedure.
    My thyroid function has improved. Id say soya products haven't given me any palpatations and I feel a benefit too.
    I'm suffering with suspected gallbladder pain so I'm hopefully only temporary.
    I'd say the whole experience has been a success. I'd have it again. No question.
    I'm loving my new size and wardrobe. Laying dressing is panning out very creative and expressing my own look and need. Winter coats with assessories and snow boots or comfy leather shoes assessorized with legwarmers are working out very comeback fashion, for my age.
    I'm enjoying putting my assorted new wardrobe contents into old and new. Ditto for my underware and bedwear but I won't say too much ;)
    How are you enjoying your weight loss? I'm hoping just as good or better.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am wondering specifically how much food I can eat after the procedure, as a way of life. Would I always have to eat small amounts, like child sized portions? Does that affect nutrition to be, in effect, on a restricted diet for the rest of my life?

I am at the beginning of getting information, but can't find out what happens in the years ahead, only up to the procedure and the next 6 - 12 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook