Atkins bars

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi has anyone used the Atkins range of choc bars etc for convenience when low carving?just wondered if they were any good?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've tried one. They are grim. I ate about a 1/4 and then chucked it away.

Reactions: 4 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are full of all sorts of nasties, I tried one only had a 1/4 and felt like I did before diagnosis, slept the afternoon away and felt like I had flu for the rest of the day. Didn't connect it until a few days later and I had another bit and the same happened. Try them you may be ok but there are a lot nicer things to eat IMHO

Reactions: 2 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They are full of all sorts of nasties, I tried one only had a 1/4 and felt like I did before diagnosis, slept the afternoon away and felt like I had flu for the rest of the day. Didn't connect it until a few days later and I had another bit and the same happened. Try them you may be ok but there are a lot nicer things to eat IMHO
Blimey! Think I will give them a miss!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi has anyone used the Atkins range of choc bars etc for convenience when low carving?just wondered if they were any good?

I tend not to snack, so know nothing of Atkins bars, but I know a number of people rave about 9-Bars, which, I believe, are sold in the big supermarkets. I believe in the range there are a number of flavours, but they do vary in carb content, so I think reading the small print, or looking them up online is probably in order.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the ingredients list. Dire.

I would prefer a handful of nuts, or a 9bar (which never seems to spike my BG)

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I tend not to snack, so know nothing of Atkins bars, but I know a number of people rave about 9-Bars, which, I believe, are sold in the big supermarkets. I believe in the range there are a number of flavours, but they do vary in carb content, so I think reading the small print, or looking them up online is probably in order.
Will look out for those thanks

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9bar, seems quite scary
I know they're popular on here, but, the 'original lift' has nearly 27 g of carbs per 100g, and 21g is pure sugar.
I know the bar is actually 50g, but really, just for a snack?

The other flavours seem as bad.

Maybe it's peer pressure thing, but I won't be touching them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9bar, seems quite scary
I know they're popular on here, but, the 'original lift' has nearly 27 g of carbs per 100g, and 21g is pure sugar.
I know the bar is actually 50g, but really, just for a snack?

The other flavours seem as bad.

Maybe it's peer pressure thing, but I won't be touching them.

As with everything, it is down to the individual, and their meter.

My experience with 9bars is brilliant.
I go for the lower carb ones, usually about 16 g a bar (the peanut ones) and avoid any variety with fruit or choc coating.

It barely registers on my meter, and is very sustaining. Approx +1mmol/l at 1 hr, and back to base at 2 hrs, yet it will stave off a hypo (I'm T2 with an extensive history of hypos) and give me enough staying power to walk home from work and sort some proper food out. To quote another recent post, they are my security blanket.

But i recognise that they are exceptional. The apparent carb content belies their bg effect on the majority of people (well, the people who post here).

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still a spoon and a half of pure sugar in each bar that I really don't want to eat.

And I don't want rice syrup, rapeseed oil, and especially sugar, but as you say, the majority on here seen to be happy with the ingredients.

(I don't even know how you make rice into syrup!)

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for 9 bars, they are really tasty. I tend to take them out and about with me so that I can have a sweet treat when other people are having cake. I also find they are useful to have in my bag when out and can't find any low carb food on the go. The 9 bars can make a good emergency lunch replacement

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for 9 bars, they are really tasty. I tend to take them out and about with me so that I can have a sweet treat when other people are having cake. I also find they are useful to have in my bag when out and can't find any low carb food on the go. The 9 bars can make a good emergency lunch replacement

Isn't it wonderful having something that looks and tastes like pre-diagnosis snack food? :D

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isn't it wonderful having something that looks and tastes like pre-diagnosis snack food? :D

It certainly is! I love just being able to tear open a wrapper and scoff something without having to think about/prepare something first. :)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to buy 9 bars for gluten-free husband and he loved them - until he discovered the info on the side and decided they were too sugary. They were designed to give people energy on long hikes etc and they're probably brilliant for that, and staving off hypos but I wouldn't touch them or Atkins bars. A 100g bar of Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa dark chocolate is 14g and that feels way more decadent than a 9 bar :)

Reactions: 3 people

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never had 9bars so ant comment on that. As far as atkins bars go,I always have then in the cupboard in case. I'm one of those people who is not really bothered about polyols and e numbers and will eat Splenda and other low carb products for puddings etc if I feel the need. There are some atkins bars that are vile but I especially like the coconut bounty bar, chewy nut nougat bar and the chocolate orange bar. I don't spike on them but I only have a 1/4 or 1/2 bar at a time as they are really sweet and my sweet tooth is fast satisfied.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All seem as bad.

As a matter of interest, I just checked a few bags of crisps in the local supermarket.

Most have 12 to 15g of carbs, and less than a gram of sugar.

So if you can't resist a pre packaged snack, have a bag of crisps, you'll be on less carbs, and a lot less sugar.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All seem as bad.

As a matter of interest, I just checked a few bags of crisps in the local supermarket.

Most have 12 to 15g of carbs, and less than a gram of sugar.

So if you can't resist a pre packaged snack, have a bag of crisps, you'll be on less carbs, and a lot less sugar.

The 40g 9bars I eat are 8.7 carbs for peanut and 9.4g for pumpkin. It doesn't matter that something may be higher or lower in carbs, diabetes seems to defy logic; it is how the item affects the individual. I can eat a 9bar without any problems but can't eat crisps, even if amount of carbs are similar

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All carbs turn to sugar, once the body breaks them down.

But, as say it's personal choice.

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
I actually quite like them especially the peanut and caramel one and the hazelnut one. I find they dont spike me either,maybe because they put so much fibre in them.
Yes the ingredients aren't healthy but then when you get a sweet treat you dont normally expect it to be healthy.Pre diagnosis I could eat a wide variety of chocolates,sweets and chips( probably helped put me where I am).Now the only sweet treats I can take are atkins bars,whipped cream with raspberries,so I don't think an atkins bar here and there is too bad.Obviously it helps that I like them :)