1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Average glucose over 90da

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Debeys42, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Debeys42

Debeys42 Type 2 · Member

i have a freestyle libre sensor and reader. Is the average glucose over 90 days shown by my reader i.e. 7.6 the same as the HbA1c test done at the hospital? That was 5.6. Or does the fact that the sensor monitors glucose in the interstitial fluid mean there is no correlation between the two?

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Deb, yes there is a disparity between the 2 for this reason, so although it's a useful guide it's not something to benchmark your results against.

3. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

5.6 Hba1c converts to average blood sugars of 6.3 mmol the hba1c is weighted towards more recent readings, so if your sugars are gradually coming down you should find that the 30 day reading is closer to the hba1C?

4. Debeys42

Debeys42 Type 2 · Member

I have managed to dispense with both
    my basal and bolts insulin by staying in ketosis. So I want to keep a strict watch on my levels I also wonder why my levels go up when I haven't eaten and go down after my high fat meals?

5. Debeys42

Debeys42 Type 2 · Member

Bolus!

6. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

That will be your liver dumping stored glucose this should improve with your keto diet but may take more time.

Well done for getting yourself off insulin and going into ketosis @Chook did the same and has written some great posts about liver dumps.

7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

@Debeys42 - I think if you are watching to see how you're doing with your glucose levels, the regular checks you are doing and the patterns/trends you'll be seeing from your Libre graphs are far more useful to you as a guide to your progress and overall control (IMO) than your HBA1c, as they tell you far more than a single 3/6/12 monthly average HbA1c can ever do, so don't worry too much about how the two may (or may not) correlate. If you are really concerned you can always take your Libre reader with you to check ups as evidence as to how you're actually managing.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Debeys42 , have you installed the software at the link below on your computer? Although the stuff on the reader is handy, the software allows for closer analysis.

https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/our-products/software/freestyle-libre-software

It gives an estimated a1c, see top right in the photo in the link, and the modal day, ambulatory glucose profile graph shown there is quite handy for getting an overview of recurring patterns by overlaying several days into one to see a typical say. Other bits of it will mark up post-prandial peaks and timings provided you've entered carb values when eating.

9. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

RE the high fat meal lowering you, if I eat enough avocado with my meals containing protein it will lower me as it slows my rapid gluconeogenesis from protein. If I don't eat enough avocado I will rise. Oils and butter do not have the same effect as avocado but saturated fat potentially could. At least in my world.

I eat 4 -5 airplane sized meals ( love whoever used that description on another thread) and a few nuts in between. I do seem to require some insulin every three hours as my basal is no where o be seen in the morning. This routine works for me as I like very small snacks meals rather than meals. Keeps my tummy happy too as well as my bs.

10. Debeys42

Debeys42 Type 2 · Member

Thank you all. No I haven't downloaded the software on my computer. I tend to use my iPad more and to tell the truth I am a bit of a techno dinosaur ! However I rang customer service of freestyle libre and they were very helpful and said the discrepancy wasn't dry great and suggested I checked my blood glucose sometimes if worried. I am delighted that the keto diet has enabled me to come off both,basal,and bolus insulin and my readings have lost the peaks and are altogether much flatter. And the average glucose overall has come down from 9 to 7.5 as has my cholesterol so I will,wait till my next visit to clinic in 3 months time

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook