aviva EXPERT BG meyer

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Been experiencing a lot of hypos and highs , seen DSN today and has changed me to EXPERT meter, have pre loaded the machine , but althought we did a BG test before I left we were interrupted and I not sure what I do next, so tomorrow morning at breakfast I will be having 17 g of carbs , I will do my BI , Then test my BS , so meter has result do I put in the carbs and wait for the meter to give me my QA dose , we did not talk about the steps of what I do when it is meal time, thank you for any advice and help

iHs

You should have an instruction manual for the Expert? Do you know what yr insulin to carb ratio is as this needs to be entered in the settings menu, bolus advice and time block.

once the settings have been entered, you just insert an Aviva strip, wait for the prompt to do bg test and then whatever bg level you get, you press on Carb and then enter yr carb. It should display the correct amount of insulin to the nearest 0.5u according to the carb ratio entered in settings.

You can also use the meter without doing a bg test by just using the main menu screen and clicking on bolus advice..

Reactions: 2 people

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Yes we have entered 1 unit QA to 10 grams carbs , the DSN was called away for emergency , I have the Manueline but only arrived home from travelling back from hospital so rather a long day, the DSN said after I done BG the Meter will do the calculations, I was not sure what I was meant to do after the BG test,

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I have detailed BG , carbs and exercise detailed daily record keeping , and BG have been on a roller coaster , 1.9 - 27.2 in 2 hrs , my carbs calculation are accurate, so we are not sure weather , injection sites , stress, or gastroparesis is playing a significant part in BG

iHs

Hi
once you've pressed on the carb (middle button to activate the entry), enter the amount and press middle button and then the bolus wizard will display the amount of bolus. Press the black button under Confirm and then on the next screen press the black button under OK. You then inject the bolus and the meter logs it all in the My Data menu.

You should try to test mid morning and mid afternoon as well as meal times. By doing so, will enable you to sort out the correct insulin to carb ratio for the time of day as 1u to 10g carb might not always be correct so be prepared to adjust it and use yr bg tests to be yr guide. I found it easier to adjust the carb than adjust the bolus but do what works best for you. Some like 1u to 10g and 1.5u to 10g whereas some like 1u to 8g etc.
You'll get the hang of it.