Avocado advice

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Defren said:
I stayed in a hotel in Knightsbridge and came down to breakfast the first morning, and loads of guests were eating avocado. My colleague (a southerner) ordered one as well, so I had a taste :sick: It is an acquired taste, and one I really like now.

There really was quite a big north south divide back then circa 1984.

You should have asked them to pour some lard on it, that might have made it more acceptable to your Northern palat.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I found when I was down south I could never get a tin of Dandelion and burdoch or iron bru to go with my fish supper back then.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:
I found when I was down south I could never get a tin of Dandelion and burdoch or iron bru to go with my fish supper back then.

Dandelion and Burdock :D.......... you can still get it in a sugar-free version but it doesn't taste the same as it did when we were kids.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
noblehead said:
Paul1976 said:

Dandelion and Burdock :D.......... you can still get it in a sugar-free version but it doesn't taste the same as it did when we were kids.
Very true!! Before diagnosis,I thought I'd also try Tizer again as i hadn't had it in donkeys years and my god,the new recipe was tasteless,anaemic dishwater to the yummy Red,fruity stuff we remember and drank in the 70's and 80's!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Avocados need to be perfectly ripe otherwise they taste horrible. They must be soft but not too soft otherwise they'll be over-ripe and turning brown/bruised. If you buy them when they're still hard bring them home and wrap in newspaper, leave for a few days in a fruit bowl or cupboard, each day gently squeeze to see if they're beginning to soften, don't squeeze too much otherwise you'll bruise them. When they feel slightly soft to a gentle squeeze then they're ready. We use them in salsa, gucamole, chopped in salads, cut in half and scoop the flesh out to eat straight from the skins (you can season them with a little salt, pepper and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or worcestershire sauce), mash them with a few drops of balsamic vinegar or worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper then spread onto thinly sliced crunchy toast (assuming you're not low carbing). If you look for the large smooth skinned varieties which are not often found in the supermarkets but rather at markets and farm shops they tend to have a nicer more buttery taste and seem to ripen better than I find the smaller rough skinned varieties do.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Sliced On toasted burgen bread with some peppery rocket leaves, slced juicy tomatoes, fresh turkey slices and a sprinkling of mixed nuts with a drizzle of lemon and olive oil and salt and pepper - lovely

Defren

borofergie said:
Defren said:
I stayed in a hotel in Knightsbridge and came down to breakfast the first morning, and loads of guests were eating avocado. My colleague (a southerner) ordered one as well, so I had a taste :sick: It is an acquired taste, and one I really like now.

There really was quite a big north south divide back then circa 1984.

You should have asked them to pour some lard on it, that might have made it more acceptable to your Northern palat.

Your a 'reet cheeky monkey' :lol:

Funnily enough I had some avocado with a huge mixed salad for dinner tonight - yum!!

WhitbyJet

Dont all throw up, but you can make a truly delicious chocolate mousse using mashed ripe avocados as a base!!

3 very ripe Avocados
50 gr cocoapowder
about 50 ml coconut milk, unsweetended or double cream
sweetener to taste
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp coconut oil

Blend all ingredients, except cocnut milk/cream, together, gradually add cream/cocnut milk until you have the desired consistency, place mousse in the fridge for several hours.
Your guests wont have a clue that they have eaten avocado, tried this out on my husbands loud mouthed friend who always said avocados are downright disgusting, he licked the bowl clean, then we told him LOL

Keep the stones, you get some wonderful houseplants from them, all for free.

Attachments

• MinAvokado.jpg
    MinAvokado.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 582

Spiral

They go beautifully with walnuts.

I like avocado, walnut, some spring onion, spoonful of mayo and a squeeze of lime juice, all mixed up with Longley Farm cottage cheese. On a bed of dark green leaves.