Back again 2nd time diagnosed

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Well I am back, I was here about 2 years ago with prediabetes and I managed to reverse my hba1c to 38 from 42. I used the LCHF/Keto diet and intermittent fasting and lost around 22 pound......fast forward a year, I have gained the weight and more.
I thought I would get another HBA1C done at my work and I'm back to 42 and prediabetic. This has happened in 12 months.
My problem is the LCHF made me really unwell as I have colitis and I had to stop it. I do not know where to go from here. My blood sugars vary, 7.4 last night bedtime without eating for 3 hours. 5.6 to 6.3 on waking.
I'm finding it hard now to start this all again, I feel so fed up. I kept thinking it was the menopause causing the weight issue. I have high BP, my waist size is disgraceful and I'm covered in skin tags which I've since read can be linked to metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance. I'm at a loss all over again....sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reactions: AngiH

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you’re back in the same situation. First question is do you know why? Did your eating or lifestyle change back in the last year? Menopause and it’s build up is a b****. It can make control a bit harder and as a result the weight etc but as we can’t avoid it we have to face it.

Sorry I don’t know much about colitis. What is it about keto that causes issues? The fats? The lack of carbs? How are you with protein? Could you use higher protein rather than higher fat (P/E ratio style of keto)?

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry to hear that low carb made you both better and worse. It can be difficult treating completing diseases.
Have you looked at the low carb diet suggestions for people with colitis? Not keto necessarily but some evidence that reducing the right type of carbs is a better diet for people with colitis.
eg
https://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/crohns-disease/specific-carbohydrate-diet-overview
https://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/diet-and-nutrition/special-ibd-diets
Thank you, I'll have a look into this.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you’re back in the same situation. First question is do you know why? Did your eating or lifestyle change back in the last year? Menopause and it’s build up is a b****. It can make control a bit harder and as a result the weight etc but as we can’t avoid it we have to face it.

Sorry I don’t know much about colitis. What is it about keto that causes issues? The fats? The lack of carbs? How are you with protein? Could you use higher protein rather than higher fat (P/E ratio style of keto)?
Thank you. Yes old ways slipped back, but meno and my Mum getting worse with her alzheimer's didn't help the comfort eating. Mum is now in a care home, and receiving the best care from a wonderful team, so I now need to do this for my health.

The high fats were really not good, in the end I became really weak and couldn't go far for needing the loo not sure what ratios I'd be best to try now.

mh234

You've done well to reverse it the first time around be open with your doctor or nurse practitioner about long-term sustainability. Have self-compassion. Mindfulness and other community based will help. Gym instructor's might be able to guide you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Yes old ways slipped back, but meno and my Mum getting worse with her alzheimer's didn't help the comfort eating. Mum is now in a care home, and receiving the best care from a wonderful team, so I now need to do this for my health.

The high fats were really not good, in the end I became really weak and couldn't go far for needing the loo not sure what ratios I'd be best to try now.

it hard when life gets tough but as you say now it’s time to take care of you.

In which case how about trying it with your normal level of fats and increase protein instead whilst dropping carbs more? It’ll probably mean a little more fat with the protein but nothing like traditional keto and maybe if that’s still too much you can adjust elsewhere to accommodate it. There’s a current thread on the PE diet running you might like to look at here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/p-e-dieting.180913/page-7#post-2405065

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Well I am back, I was here about 2 years ago with prediabetes and I managed to reverse my hba1c to 38 from 42. I used the LCHF/Keto diet and intermittent fasting and lost around 22 pound......fast forward a year, I have gained the weight and more.
I thought I would get another HBA1C done at my work and I'm back to 42 and prediabetic. This has happened in 12 months.
My problem is the LCHF made me really unwell as I have colitis and I had to stop it. I do not know where to go from here. My blood sugars vary, 7.4 last night bedtime without eating for 3 hours. 5.6 to 6.3 on waking.
I'm finding it hard now to start this all again, I feel so fed up. I kept thinking it was the menopause causing the weight issue. I have high BP, my waist size is disgraceful and I'm covered in skin tags which I've since read can be linked to metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance. I'm at a loss all over again....sorry for the long post.
When diagnosed I was about as round as I was tall and the skin tags used to drive me mad, catching on everything.
Since I reduced my blood glucose levels I don't have a single tag - I don't know if they fell off or were absorbed.
My GP happily cut off a couple of dozen of them some time ago - never mentioned diabetes.
Low carb is no t necessarily high fat, only by todays standards is it high fat. I just eat the fat which comes naturally with the foods.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've done well to reverse it the first time around be open with your doctor or nurse practitioner about long-term sustainability. Have self-compassion. Mindfulness and other community based will help. Gym instructor's might be able to guide you.
Thank you, getting my GP to speak to me is almost impossible.. they don't like it too much as I have my bloods done through my work. But really need them to help me a bit, I can't keep yo-yoing between non and prediabetes.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it hard when life gets tough but as you say now it’s time to take care of you.

In which case how about trying it with your normal level of fats and increase protein instead whilst dropping carbs more? It’ll probably mean a little more fat with the protein but nothing like traditional keto and maybe if that’s still too much you can adjust elsewhere to accommodate it. There’s a current thread on the PE diet running you might like to look at here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/p-e-dieting.180913/page-7#post-2405065
Thank you, I'll have a read. The macros and correct amounts of protein etc confuse me a little. If I remember they have to add up to 100..and carb as low as manageable.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When diagnosed I was about as round as I was tall and the skin tags used to drive me mad, catching on everything.
Since I reduced my blood glucose levels I don't have a single tag - I don't know if they fell off or were absorbed.
My GP happily cut off a couple of dozen of them some time ago - never mentioned diabetes.
Low carb is no t necessarily high fat, only by todays standards is it high fat. I just eat the fat which comes naturally with the foods.
Oh this gives me hope with my skin tags, I've always had a few from sun damage when I was young, but I literally have so many, tiny ones popping up all round my neck, behind my ears. I hate them and I'm now hopeful they may subside. Thank you

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I'll have a read. The macros and correct amounts of protein etc confuse me a little. If I remember they have to add up to 100..and carb as low as manageable.
I think in its essence it’s eat as few carbs as possible, eat as much protein as you want and add some but not too many natural fats. Some count and calculate, others just follow the broad principles and don’t get too hung up on maths and do what suits them by trial and error and testing with their meter.

Jo123

Hi, I've got a hiatis hernia and had gastritis when I had an endoscopy, I have to be careful what I eat, too much fat makes me feel ill. I eat low carb moderate fat. I was prediabetic in 2009 and have maintained normal hba1c's ever since. I test occasionally and I'm not cured, my levels still go to high if I eat too many carbs.
I eat about 80 carbs a day but this is including vegetables and salad literally counting everything I eat.