Back again!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again everyone, I'm back after hitting rock bottom both physically and mentally during the pandemic - I stopped work to nurse my mum around the clock for two years until she passed. During that time (and for a few years before too) I was in full relapse on any kind of self care. I checked my BG occasionally, it was usually over 10 mmol. I lost (through stress and exhaustion) a bit of weight, then last year regained it - since mum passed in late 2022 I have been in a kind of zombie nightmare state - I haven't felt alive, just barely not dying. I've been eating every kind of sugary, fatty, carby junk that entered my food-addicted mind to stupid excess. I'm surprised I didn't gain more weight but I take Ozempic on prescription so I think that has helped.

Then last week I thought maybe I should try to improve my chances of living to 70 or longer (I'm 60). I'm not going to work again, except on myself. So I'm back! I re-read and rewatched a lot of Jason Fung and a few other interesting academics and medics, and now I have renewed motivation to reduce carbs, do some intermittent fasting and avoid junk food. This forum helped me tremendously in previous years and now I have more time for such fripperies as looking after myself I will be here more!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again everyone, I'm back after hitting rock bottom both physically and mentally during the pandemic - I stopped work to nurse my mum around the clock for two years until she passed. During that time (and for a few years before too) I was in full relapse on any kind of self care. I checked my BG occasionally, it was usually over 10 mmol. I lost (through stress and exhaustion) a bit of weight, then last year regained it - since mum passed in late 2022 I have been in a kind of zombie nightmare state - I haven't felt alive, just barely not dying. I've been eating every kind of sugary, fatty, carby junk that entered my food-addicted mind to stupid excess. I'm surprised I didn't gain more weight but I take Ozempic on prescription so I think that has helped.

Then last week I thought maybe I should try to improve my chances of living to 70 or longer (I'm 60). I'm not going to work again, except on myself. So I'm back! I re-read and rewatched a lot of Jason Fung and a few other interesting academics and medics, and now I have renewed motivation to reduce carbs, do some intermittent fasting and avoid junk food. This forum helped me tremendously in previous years and now I have more time for such fripperies as looking after myself I will be here more!
Sounds like some grueling years... I'm so, so sorry you went through all that, but glad to see you're ready to take care of you again. Not always easy, but a good choice!

Welcome back!
Hugs,
Jo

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

@jpscloud it's good that you are getting the motivation back after such a vry low time in your life. I understand it completely as I also cared for my mother for a few years before I lost her, followed only nine months later by the loss of my son. Nothing challenges us more than loss.
It's now 'your time' as you say and a brilliant motivation of course id the wonderful Jason Fung. I also like to watch Dr David Unwin's videos now, especially with him being a normal GP in the UK.
We are all here to support you and each other through the tough times. I am 73 and on the right side of the struggle at last. I wish you well x

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like some grueling years... I'm so, so sorry you went through all that, but glad to see you're ready to take care of you again. Not always easy, but a good choice!

Welcome back!
Hugs,
Jo
Thanks Jo! This is a wonderful community :)

• Friendly
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Welcome back it is particularly tough when you've been experiencing loss and all the stress of caring. I know it too well after losing mum 18 months ago. Pleased to hear that you are ready to take care of yourself again and join in this friendly supportive forum again. Look forward to hearing about your progress well done on realising your health matters too.

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jpscloud it's good that you are getting the motivation back after such a vry low time in your life. I understand it completely as I also cared for my mother for a few years before I lost her, followed only nine months later by the loss of my son. Nothing challenges us more than loss.
It's now 'your time' as you say and a brilliant motivation of course id the wonderful Jason Fung. I also like to watch Dr David Unwin's videos now, especially with him being a normal GP in the UK.
We are all here to support you and each other through the tough times. I am 73 and on the right side of the struggle at last. I wish you well xC
Thanks coby, and I'm so sorry for your losses. I must get to watching some of Dr Unwin's videos too, thanks for the reminder! I love having those on while I tackle house clearing and resetting.
Welcome back it is particularly tough when you've been experiencing loss and all the stress of caring. I know it too well after losing mum 18 months ago. Pleased to hear that you are ready to take care of yourself again and join in this friendly supportive forum again. Look forward to hearing about your progress well done on realising your health matters too.
Hi Shelly! Thanks for the welcome back :) I was prompted to get back in here when watching a you tube video on fasting and they were saying how important community is for helping you to keep going. The world is not yet a fasting-friendly place so it means so much to be able to come here.

• Friendly
Reactions: shelley262

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jpscloud - Sometimes life gets too much and we just can‘t keep all the plates spinning successfully. Something has to give, and more often than not it is self care that is put to one side. I’m so sorry for your loss. Loss is something we can’t plan for. It is something we just have to pick our ways through.

On the upside, welcome back. The forum can be a bit of a security blanket, with a thread of accountability to it. We all want each other and ourselves to be successful, so we’ve got your back.

Just pick your way through a day at a time. That’s how good habits are formed.