Back to Square 1 again !

Kevmawr

Hi all,
My name is Kev and live in N Wales.
I am 52 and was first diagnosed with type 2 about 2 years ago.
My HBA1C went from 53 to 58 then down to 49 before shooting up to 78 by last Christmas.
I walked and lost a few stone and by just April my HBA1C was down to 43. I was elated and participated in a 100km ultra challenge at the end of May this year. Since then I've hardly walked, ate badly and gained 2 stone.
My bloods were 26.5 this week and in double figures 16.0, even after fasting 8 hrs.
I just goes to show how quickly it can creep up on someone. I am responsible for my own actions and now starting all over again tomorrow. I'm back on metformin, starting walking again and must cut out sugars and be on low carb diet to get back on track.
I can do it again and will be doing another ultra in September 2020.
I just wanted to know how dangerous is bloods of 26.5 a few hours after eating? Any thoughts?
This is a warning to anyone who thinks reversing diabetes is a destination. It's a lifelong journey that requires continuous effort in leading a different life.
Any comments, help or similar story then please let me know.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
26.5 is far FAR too high let alone 16.0. Assuming you're type 2, your diet is the first thing I'd look at.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome :)
Unfortunately it is indeed dangerously high for anyone. I hope you find the support here to continue your efforts in achieving single digits, but of course slowly and gradually. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kevmawr hello! How are getting on? I just wanted to say yes your words are so true, it’s not a destination but a journey. I have been in a similar position to you. I followed a low carb diet and swam for an hour 4/5 times a week. My hba1c was 40 for 3 consecutive tests. My GP and I were delighted and I came off metformin. Unfortunately last October I started with a problem with my left leg. It was painful to walk or stand. Swimming was very difficult and I have only swam twice since. End result I have gained 3 stone!!!! And I’m waiting for my next blood test at the end of the month but I know what it’s going to be! So like you I need to begin again. I’m hoping to get back to my swimming and climb back on to the low carb wagon! Good luck with your journey!

Kevmawr

26.5 is far FAR too high let alone 16.0. Assuming you're type 2, your diet is the first thing I'd look at.

I know Mike,
Scary stuff. No time to wait on this one. Diet and exercise vital. Just shows how complacency can set one back. Thanks for the time to comment. Cheers
Kev

Reactions: Mike d

Kevmawr

Unfortunately it is indeed dangerously high for anyone. I hope you find the support here to continue your efforts in achieving single digits, but of course slowly and gradually. :)

Appreciate your. Comment MeiChanski.
Getting bloods done Monday for HBA1C.
Been stressed has a lot to answer for in addition to me losing my way since May. I was walking 50 miles on weekends and know I need to get back on the saddle again. I'm doing Thames 100km ultra again in a years time. Aim is to reverse diabetes, lose 5-7 stone ( I'm 21st now)
It can be done but not easy journey. Big thanks for your comment.

Kevmawr

@Kevmawr hello! How are getting on? I just wanted to say yes your words are so true, it’s not a destination but a journey. I have been in a similar position to you. I followed a low carb diet and swam for an hour 4/5 times a week. My hba1c was 40 for 3 consecutive tests. My GP and I were delighted and I came off metformin. Unfortunately last October I started with a problem with my left leg. It was painful to walk or stand. Swimming was very difficult and I have only swam twice since. End result I have gained 3 stone!!!! And I’m waiting for my next blood test at the end of the month but I know what it’s going to be! So like you I need to begin again. I’m hoping to get back to my swimming and climb back on to the low carb wagon! Good luck with your journey!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. My advice is small goals at first. You need to find what is sustainable for you - food and exercise. Big goals for competition and such is great, but you need to just figure out how to balance day to day first. I walk too- both weekends and weekdays, but a typical weekend for me is 6-7 miles, not 50 (50? wow!). Anyway, that’s my .02 on managing this, balance and sustainability.

Reactions: Kevmawr

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Kevmawr

Welcome to the forum. My advice is small goals at first. You need to find what is sustainable for you - food and exercise. Big goals for competition and such is great, but you need to just figure out how to balance day to day first. I walk too- both weekends and weekdays, but a typical weekend for me is 6-7 miles, not 50 (50? wow!). Anyway, that’s my .02 on managing this, balance and sustainability.
Totally agree with your comments. I'm an all or nothing character which can be difficult for me. Not figured out yet on sustainability but I suppose there is no option. Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree with your comments. I'm an all or nothing character which can be difficult for me. Not figured out yet on sustainability but I suppose there is no option. Thanks
Hey Kev,

Another all/nothing type here. It is hard, but give yourself some time to figure out how to make the diet sustainable for you. If you're eating things you like, it's a lot easier to stick with it. As for the exercise, that's quite a big goal... But while going for an achievement at an event is nice, the main goal probably should be sustaining your health... Because you might just do that Ultra and then, with that mission accomplished, slide back down again. Smaller daily/weekly goals may be a little more useful in the long run (alongside the Big One. Not saying it should be one or the other. :) ). Figure out what works for you, and stick with it. We all fall off the wagon at one time or another (...I did this weekend... Oops...), trick is to get back on as soon as humanly possible. ;)

And yeah, those double digits, you really, really don't want those. Maybe this'll help? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ There's also dietdoctor.com and this place's website, diabetes.co.uk (not .org!), if you're looking for stuff that tastes good and is good for your bloodsugars....

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Kevmawr

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome- I'm another all or nothing person. I am figuring out sustainability. Some days I have major wobbles but am keeping very low carb so far. I have have reduced my blood sugars significantly. I admire your exercise goals- I'm not an all or nothing with exercise so am just building up gradually.

Good luck!