Background retinopathy - BS non-diabetic levels

Tootse

Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 back in July 2012 and through diet and metformin, I have bought my HbA1c down each year from 2012-67mmol, 2013-41mmol, 2014-36mmol, 2015-36mmol. So since 2013 my HbA1c readings have been in the non-diabetic range meaning excellent diabetic control.

However, when I went for my yearly retinopathy test, I received a letter stating that my test result showed that I now have some background retinopathy. Meaning the there are small changes to my blood vessels in the retina as a result of my diabetes.

The letter goes on to recommend that I manage my diabetes as well as possible to reduce risk of developing more serious damage.

As I already cut down my carb intake and keep my blood sugar at 'non-diabetic' levels, I'm not sure what else I can do.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Tootse

Tootse

That's the problem, I have my blood pressure taken every 6 months and it's been well within the normal range for years thanks to medication. I do not take any statins and My cholesterol is 3.8. Ok my bad cholesterol may still be a little higher than I would like but I am working on it and it's Lowe than last year.