bad breath and low card

Drfarxan

All that cheese,meat and fish diet lead to a case of bad breath for me. My wife keeps telling me :(. I use mouth wash and have a healthy rutin but during the day after i ate i noticed the diff. Before starting lchf i never had an issue, and i found that fruits help alot with bad breath. Ate a piece of water melon one time and it really made a difference. Chewing gum and candy helped i guess i need to buy some no sugar chewing gums,no fun in that what so ever.

Any of you on lchf diet experienced the same issue.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I haven't had that on low-carb. I think green veg and plenty of water/ green tea should help if you are low-carbing. The only time I have those sorts of issues is when I get a dry mouth from my sugars being high, so hydration might be the key. Brassica veg like kale is good for your gums too. Good luck with it!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Bad breath is usually a sign of bacteria breeding in your mouth , I have only had it after long periods of high blood sugars , What are your bgs like ?

Reactions: Drfarxan

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Drfarxan Are you just taking about ketone breath? - A metallic taste in mouth and breath smelling fruity or like nail polish remover?

Ketone breath is said to only temporary until the body adjusts to the low carb diet. Obviously slightly increasing the carbs will stop it.
It has also been suggested that high a Protein content in the diet can cause an ammonia like smell. The suggestion to stop this smell is slightly reduce consumption of meat/fish and instead eat more avocado, nuts, olives/olive oil.

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
No ketone breath is not what I meant , It's just that if you have a prolonged episode of high bgs bacteria tends to form causing a bad smell .

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@jaywak Sorry, I meant my previous post to be in reply to the OP - not to yours. The OP is eating Low Carb - which is unlikely to lead to high BGs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All that cheese,meat and fish diet lead to a case of bad breath for me. My wife keeps telling me :(. I use mouth wash and have a healthy rutin but during the day after i ate i noticed the diff. Before starting lchf i never had an issue, and i found that fruits help alot with bad breath. Ate a piece of water melon one time and it really made a difference. Chewing gum and candy helped i guess i need to buy some no sugar chewing gums,no fun in that what so ever.

Any of you on lchf diet experienced the same issue.
I heard "pulling" coconut oil can help with bad breath... (Just swishing it around in your mouth and sucking it between your teeth) And it's keto-friendly. I tried it eons ago but can't remember whether it worked, just that I liked the taste, haha!

Drfarxan

Bad breath is usually a sign of bacteria breeding in your mouth , I have only had it after long periods of high blood sugars , What are your bgs like ?
Between 100-80 ,my latest HbA1c is 5.6. I usually did not have this problem when i eat carbs. Mostly because of sugar strawberry chewing gum.
I have gum recessiın but this is because of a bad braclet i used most dentist tell me.

Drfarxan

@Drfarxan Are you just taking about ketone breath? - A metallic taste in mouth and breath smelling fruity or like nail polish remover?

Ketone breath is said to only temporary until the body adjusts to the low carb diet. Obviously slightly increasing the carbs will stop it.
It has also been suggested that high a Protein content in the diet can cause an ammonia like smell. The suggestion to stop this smell is slightly reduce consumption of meat/fish and instead eat more avocado, nuts, olives/olive oil.
I dont think its ketone breath but it could be. Its mostly the high protein food i eat. I also became very sensitive to garlic after lchf. Causes gas in my stomach