Type 1 bad regulations for about 6 years

Have you had the simular problems?

• Have not had simular story

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mathias

I have now had diabetes type 1 for about 6-7 years and im 18years old, my brother and mother has diabetes too. i have since day one been on and off with bad and good regulations. and today i still struggle. ones i get good control i lose it very fast, because i think im fine. but then after a while i realise that it isnt and my Hba1c has rosen to about 9-10 mmol. and it has been like that for 5-6 years, since the end of 2019 i started to take more care of myself. i got a girlfriend and im currently very happy. but i tend to forget about my diabetes and loose the grip still. i had decently good control with my hba1c around 8.4 mmol for a few months now, and it went dont to 7.9 even wich was a huge milestone for me, but now i tend to loose grip again and i think alot to myself and i get angry at myself. im scared that i am damaging my body and that i wont last long. I want a good future with my girlfriend and i just want some advice from you guys who might be experienced with this or have a simular story. and if its too late to turn things around and not get any problems.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Mathias your body is remarkable and can respond to the inputs it gets. Whilst I am not Type 1, I moved my HbA1c from around 137 to late 30's by lifestyle.

What I ask myself when making food choices (because realistically this is a massive contributor to your control) is what do my organs think about my selection. I think most make decisions based on what the eyes and brain say e.g. chocolate chip cookies, sweets, crisps etc.

If you can move towards choices that really work for your body, whilst enjoying that food that has got to help in the long run.

Mathias

Hi @Mathias your body is remarkable and can respond to the inputs it gets. Whilst I am not Type 1, I moved my HbA1c from around 137 to late 30's by lifestyle.

What I ask myself when making food choices (because realistically this is a massive contributor to your control) is what do my organs think about my selection. I think most make decisions based on what the eyes and brain say e.g. chocolate chip cookies, sweets, crisps etc.

If you can move towards choices that really work for your body, whilst enjoying that food that has got to help in the long run.

Thank you this helps alot. i will try to take your advices and do better for myself

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If it's any consolation to you I had similar control in my teens (this was preglucometers and though I never forgot to inject I ate what I liked an ignored my diabetes.) When I went to a diabetic clinic at 20 and got given my first glucometer I was moved onto a basal bolus regime and things improved. I've now seen 50 years of diabetes and though T1 is a pain I'm still fine apart from a bit of mild on again off again retinopathy.

Having said that, I am undoubtedly lucky to have got away with my extreme neglect, but anyone can turn things round at any age (but the sooner you do it the better, ideally before any irreversible damage).

The technology now is simply outstanding - I suggest you go to your clinic and ask for a freestyle libre. Do you know your insulin ratios etc? (I ask this because not everyone does, although I've always carb counted after a fashion, I didn't get a proper handle on insulin ratios etc till a few years ago.) Assuming you're on a basal/bolus regime then the first thing to get right is your basal (long acting). Once this is balanced you can move to calculating insulin ratios. Your clinic should help you with this but you can do it yourself if they aren't helping much.

At 18 you've probably stopped your major teenage grow and your insulin needs should hopefully be stabilising, thereby making it a bit easier for you to manage. Are you still at school or just finishing?

Mathias

If it's any consolation to you I had similar control in my teens (this was preglucometers and though I never forgot to inject I ate what I liked an ignored my diabetes.) When I went to a diabetic clinic at 20 and got given my first glucometer I was moved onto a basal bolus regime and things improved. I've now seen 50 years of diabetes and though T1 is a pain I'm still fine apart from a bit of mild on again off again retinopathy.

Having said that, I am undoubtedly lucky to have got away with my extreme neglect, but anyone can turn things round at any age (but the sooner you do it the better, ideally before any irreversible damage).

The technology now is simply outstanding - I suggest you go to your clinic and ask for a freestyle libre. Do you know your insulin ratios etc? (I ask this because not everyone does, although I've always carb counted after a fashion, I didn't get a proper handle on insulin ratios etc till a few years ago.) Assuming you're on a basal/bolus regime then the first thing to get right is your basal (long acting). Once this is balanced you can move to calculating insulin ratios. Your clinic should help you with this but you can do it yourself if they aren't helping much.

At 18 you've probably stopped your major teenage grow and your insulin needs should hopefully be stabilising, thereby making it a bit easier for you to manage. Are you still at school or just finishing?
Yeah i have the same problems you had. thank you for the response. I do have a freestyle libre and its very helpfull, easier to measure my blood sugar. i now try some apps to try to calculate my doses. its a norwegian app(I am from Norway) that helps alot. My insulin is still a bit wobbly, but they are alot more stabel than they used to be. I am starting my 3year in collage the 17.08. and then i will be an apprentice

Reactions: EllieM