bad subjected

RobBrown

can any one tell me how type1 can effected your love life and also gettin tattos done :D have asked the doctor but did got give me a good answer thanks rob

Snodger

it hasn't affected my love life at all but I'm a girl :) I think one of the long-term complications can be probs with erections, but I can't speak about that from experience...

re tattoos, others will no doubt disagree, doctors rarely give you a straightforward non-judgemental answer, but I personally don't think it's a problem for us. I've known type 1s with tatts and there's a thread on here somewhere discussing the pros and cons of diabetes-related designs. Like all healing, the better your blood glucose control, the better you tend to heal. Personally I have had some interesting piercings (NOT where you are thinking...) which I've had no problems with at all, and I plan to have more some day soon.

ishjohno

I agree with Snodger, the better your control the better the healing will be.

I have a few tattoos :D they healed very well, after consulting with my doctor he tried to put me off saying I would regret it - I don't :D

As for a T1's love life, the DAFNE course that I attended only brushed upon the subject - 5 mins and it's always the same old answer - go see the doctor.

Good luck hope you get the tattoos.

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I had a tat done about 10 years ago, no prob, did'nt even consider asking a doc and would'nt!!!

but like all say the lower the blood readings the better, i seem to heal okay, always coming off my bike, the only prob is age, healing takes longer!!

good luck

dib

As for your lovelife the symptoms can be the same for all male diabetics. Increased risk of vascular damage can lead to decreased bloodflow to the pelvic area and possible erectile problems. Neural damage can lead to decreased sensation and accompanying erectile and arousal problems. There are medications that can go some way to treating these probs but probably best not to get them in the first place. Some blood pressure meds (if you are on them) can also affect desire.
So all in all a great incentive to keep control of your blood sugars and health in general! :)

RJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 4 years and have had 4 tattoos in that time. They have all healed up perfectly and I have had no problems. Hope this helps.

Ruth